Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Ute lift height?

Hi all, a happy New year to you.

I have to replace the air bags under the trol, one has developed a leak.
    Decided on the air bag man units.
    Problem is I've no idea of the lift on mine.
    To give it some perspective.
    I've had to castor correct the front with offset bushes and install adjustable rear upper control arms to correct diff/taiilshaft alignment.
    Having sourced a rear sway bar we had to machine new links that are about 80mm over standard.
    How old mate before me drove the beast is beyond me.
    Having replaced the stock tray with 150mm rails and alloy deck I no longer have a point of reference for lift height there.
    So, if anyone has a stock ute or 2" lift and can offer a measurement from ground to underside of chassis close to rear springs I should be able to figure it.
    Many thanks in advance.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,735 Times in 2,685 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I have just been through this with the VASS engineer in Victoria to go another round of engineering.

Type in RCVS into google. The website allows you to check manufacturers vehicle specs such as front and rear suspension as designed and approved. I had the VASS engineer admin lady do my search, so you then need the APPROVAL NUMBER that is on one of the tags under the bonnet - the 1997 GQ 2.8 has an approval number of 7484 as a guide.

This will list the dimension which is centre of axle to the bottom of the guard. For the GQ, the dimension ex factory is 555mm for the front and 565mm for the rear. You are allowed 50mm lift plus 25mm on the tyre diameter in Vic, so I can go as high as 605mm on the front and 615mm on the rear.

Just re-read your post regards the lack of the guard reference point at the rear. The VASS engineer suggested just get the vehicle roughly level, however my dual cab chop still has the remnants of the flare so I am able to measure to the flare dimension. In theory this measurement to the flare is wrong s the flare is actually 50mm lower than the guard, but it helps me to go with this location.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 1st January 2024 at 07:20 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for that @PeeBee , yeah mines a difficult call cos no rear guard n 20mm body lift to clear a2w plennum up the front.
    Should have mentioned at the start it's a GQ. Not at all sure if the chassis changed GQ/GU.
    Last edited by Touses; 1st January 2024 at 07:59 PM.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mine has a 25mm body lift as well to clear the supercharger. I think you can sort out the details by either looking up the spec i mentioned before or using my numbers as a guide. Seems the rear is 10mm higher than the front, or @MB could run a quick tape over his beast in the morning and post up some numbers maybe? Mark, center of front axle to flare, same on rears. If not I will do it myself when I get to your place.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, I measured MB's ute today, it has a 20mm body lift and running 3" lift. The centerline to underside of the flare edge is 580mm. The rear is harder to measure due to the tray configuration as you mentioned. The best i could get for the rear is 430mm from centre of axle to top of chassis, again, he has the 20mm lift and 3" coils. Hope this helps. Ultimately I would work off the front standard height plus 50mm, then the rear will be 10mm higher than that for the 50mm rear lift - I think!!!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Touses (3rd January 2024)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Many thanks for that @PeeBee mine measured at 420mm at the rear, have to assume coils are a bit aged.
    So, 3" lift it is.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (3rd January 2024)