Thread: Steel or Aluminium roof-rack

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Steel or Aluminium roof-rack

Hi all, thinking of getting ARB roof-rack for the GQ. Mainly for 2nd spare wheel and tyre, long handle shovelm maybe a bit of other light stuff, and also for mounting rear light for campsite.
    As I tow a Tvan, plan is to cover some pretty remote and no doubt rough outback tracks over the next few years, so want something strong enough to survive. I get that steel can be welded up in the bush, but then it shouldn't have broken, right?
    So what do you blokes use? Any suggestions?>
    Cheers, Monty

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A steel rack weighs +50kgs which is huge!! I have a full length Alloy and have never regretted it.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    yep, aluminium all the way

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a steel one on my GU - it was there when I brought it
    meh - it does what it needs to do
    holds my side & rear awnings
    and I can throw crap on it when camping (fire wood etc)

if I was going to buy one - I would buy the ali one - weight alone makes it a no brainer, and if you damage it while "off the beaten track" well.................
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This is my Alloy EBay rack fully loaded for Outback Touring. You just need to pack it smart and don't put all the weight in the middle.

Note my 3 jerry cans are in a holder that spans to the edges. Yes I made it out of 19mm pine board. It's crossed the desert a couple of times and will last me a life time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk cause AB turned it back on!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (24th September 2016)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for replies. I take the point about weight. I guess I wanted reassurance that the ali had sufficient strength. I would also hope that I didn't damage any rack, but wondered about bad corrugations etc.
    Just need to decide if I really need a rack or not. Problem is fitting 2nd spare wheel/tyre. Not wanting to spend huge sum of money on rear tyre carriers as I have Stone Stomper attached to Tvan and I would rather have rack which gives more options for storage. I understand the overall weight limits and of course higher centre of gravity.

Quick question; how do rack users go about hauling spare wheel etc up an down off rack? Damn heavy stuff some of it.

Cheers

9. The Following User Says Thank You to monty For This Useful Post:

dom14 (24th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by monty View Post
    Thanks for replies. I take the point about weight. I guess I wanted reassurance that the ali had sufficient strength. I would also hope that I didn't damage any rack, but wondered about bad corrugations etc.
    Just need to decide if I really need a rack or not. Problem is fitting 2nd spare wheel/tyre. Not wanting to spend huge sum of money on rear tyre carriers as I have Stone Stomper attached to Tvan and I would rather have rack which gives more options for storage. I understand the overall weight limits and of course higher centre of gravity.

Quick question; how do rack users go about hauling spare wheel etc up an down off rack? Damn heavy stuff some of it.

Cheers
    I carry a spare Tyre only in a roof bag. Tyre pliers.

You should be setting you TVan up with Nissan hubs and matching wheels then you have 2 spares already and a 3rd tyre on the roof for the win.

I did a tyre on my Madigan Line trip and fortunately used my spare. If I did a second tyre then I'd have swapped. As it was I got into Birdsville on the spare and paid $20 to have the carcass off the roof fitted to the spare rim. Winner.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I carry a spare Tyre only in a roof bag. Tyre pliers.

You should be setting you TVan up with Nissan hubs and matching wheels then you have 2 spares already and a 3rd tyre on the roof for the win.
    both are great ideas for long distance remote touring
    I have changed my Jayco to Nissan wheels for that same reason - extra spare
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hi Monty
    I run the rhino platform and find it wery handy the mounting accessories are endless not cheap though
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Had a full steel arb rack on my grenade. Took 3 of us with effort to put it up. I fitted up the alloy one on my 4.2, by my self.
    So i don't know the weight figures, but i know the alloy one is heck of a lot lighter.
    Have had my alloy one loaded up a fair bit with no issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast