Thread: dumbie tail lights on a gu

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

dumbie tail lights on a gu

hi team just a quick question about the "ol dumbie tail lights" on the gu patrol...
    the other day i found myself following another gu and it had the "flea bay" replacment altezza style tail lights, as we got to an intersection i noticed they weren't working no biggie i thought may be they had n't bothered to wire them up or they had blown a fuse or something.
    over the past month or so every gu with these style tail lights dont seem to be working bar 1 out of the 5 or so that i have seen.
    is there a reason for this? what am i missing guys? we live in qld if that has something to do with it legally?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It is for legal reasons. With the spare tyre on the back door the powers that be decided that the RH tail light cannot be seen from some angles. To get around this Nissan fitted tail light in the bumper where they were not obscured. You only need to have one reverse light so that was OK to stay in the LH upper tail light.
    You can buy Europeon market upper tail lights (which have indicators, stop/tail, and reverse lights) on EBay and wire them up to work with the lower tail lights if you want, many people have.

Check this thread for more info; http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...christmas+tree

Tony
    Last edited by YNOT; 31st October 2011 at 07:54 AM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mine work fine, christmas tree baby!
    I used to cruise... NOW I PATROL!

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hi tony sorry mate i didnt make my question very clear...my bad.... what i was wanting to know was the trolls i had seen with the after market lights like you have mentioned Europeon market upper tail lights fitted were not working i was wanting to know if the powers to be had past some new regulation out lawing this modification?
    seemed strange that so many people had retro fitted a set of these lights and not have them working.
    thanks for the link mate i knew it was on here somewhere i just couldnt find it lol...

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,137 Times in 1,001 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You can have the whole Christmas tree working, Holden Jackaroo's and Toyota Prado's etc come from the factory like that so it is legal. Are you sure the cars you were referring to had the indicators in the upper tail lights? I agree it seems pointless to fit the full tail lights but not have them working.

Tony

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    yup yup they were definatley gu patrols cause i made a point of following one to try and show the misses our next modification lol... maybe they just hadn't finish wiring them up as the misses said pretty much the same thing.... whats the point if the new ones dont work either hahaha...but all good if its all legal then thats all i needed to know thanks heaps...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,062 Times in 938 Posts
    Mentioned
    12 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think what you are seeing is actually factory Nissan tail lights not working, not aftermarket ones, i have purchased Altezza tail lamps for my GU series 1, these lamps are a copy of a Nissan lamp that became a factory up-date on the GUs in series 2 or 3 i think (before they changed the tail light shape altogether)

The ebay ones are a copy of a genuine lamp that was released by nissan, and so when fitted from factory ,do not work (apart from reverse light)
    <a href=http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j320/02ard/PatrolcomAvatar-1-1.jpg target=_blank>http://i83.photobucket.com/albums/j3...Avatar-1-1.jpg</a>

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    oh ok right and so the plot thickens... this i did not know a bit of a trivial matter in general but i find it interesting to find out that nissan would release non working replacements/updates only to have the reverse light working...
    or have i missed the point completely either way i will be doing this mod in the next couple of weeks or so thanks for your input guys...
    christmas tree on...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    i replaced my dummy lights with working lights from www.carsrus.com.au on the sunshine coast cost me including gst and frieght $144.00 approx only issue is when wiring you will need to run a lume from the left side for some of the lights in the right hand unit. left hand unit is plug n play i ran wiring across from the left under the door sil to the right to get everything working on the right once done looks great and very bright

hope this helps
    Attached Images Attached Images

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    tappethead my gu series 3 came with clear alteeza style rear lights not working except reverse . got the ebay ones too and all good now .
    left side the wiring harness was there ,plug in and all worked . not so for the right side , no loom . looked high and low for it but could not find it
    so wired it up myself from the bottom bumper light . I recommend soldering the wires and use heatshrink to seal the joints . looks real neat
    when your done. far better than electrical tape . jmo .
    The price of excellence is dicipline , the cost of mediocrity is dissapointment .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast