User Tag List

Thread: Turbo options for td42

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Turbo options for td42

Hi guys I know there is probably a thread out there already for this but I thought I would start a new one.
    So I'm currently in the middle of building up a td42 from n/a to turbo and have rebuilt the engine with all new ceramic coated everything. Now I'm at the stage where I need to pick a turbo that will compliment the motor.
    I'm still trying to wrap my head around all the options but so far my list consists of
    UFI TD05
    Garrett 3071
    Borgwarner 6758

What I am confused and undecided is to go external waste gate or internal v band or not twin scroll or not so many options for me to figure out myself.

What I want from the motor is a lot of low down torque for towing and touring and wanted to run from mid to high 20's PSI wise

Hope you can help cheers

Jack

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,263 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @nissannewby. Your time to shine mate.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I wouldn't hesitate to put the borgwarner on. A few of us here are running it on an unopened td42 with a well built 12mm pump getting torque figures approx 700-900nm at 2100rpm which is impressive for a simple bolt on mod.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Before we go any further you can scrap the 3071 idea.

Also are you planning any pump work? What are your other supporting mods for this build?

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    In Canada the HX35 turbo off of a dodge 3500 cummins bolts onto the factory manifold. That's what I plan on doing in my safari.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Before we go any further you can scrap the 3071 idea.

Also are you planning any pump work? What are your other supporting mods for this build?
    Yeah I'm getting a 12mm pump new injectors, stuck between top or front mount, custom intake manifold and exhaust manifold, 3 inch exhaust all the way back no restriction, 4 inch snorkel into a fatz fab airbox, high flow oil pump, thicker bigger radiator and high flow water pump
    Internal engine mods are basically all the internals are brand new ceramic coated and heavy duty

Anything I should think about

Currently own a ZD30 2000 GU patrol with a dead injector pump about to start a build on a TD42 motor to go in the car and basically rebuild the whole car into a machine of a rig

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Ok very good then. This will see you get the most from your money spent. I am bias towards the Borg Warner EFR6758, magic turbo off the shelf for this application and has proven to work very well on a lot of varying setups. It does require a little extra work for fitment as there isnt really a kit available but there are a few guys here who have experience with this.

The UFI 18g will also work very well and it will come in a kit with a dump pipe and oil lines.

The above 2 turbos would be about all I would use currently for reliable performance. This then rules out the question on turbine housing styles as they only have 1 option for our fitment. The UFI will need to run slightly higher psi than the EFR but this is not a worry.

I wouldnt stress to much about a thicker bigger radiator. Just optimise your water and air flow and a standard rad should be fine.

Who is building the pump?
    Last edited by nissannewby; 16th August 2017 at 10:09 PM.