Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

ARC welder - think its dead

I have a CIG Easy welder, professional series, its a transformer welder, been absolutely brilliant , bought it around 1990 I think. Its been flogged at times but always was up to the task. I have been using a smaller solid state arc welder of late as its better on the light stuff. Today i went to use the CIG unit and would not strike a spark. I pulled the cover off, and found a broken wire inside at a terminal strip, which i fixed, powered it back up and still nothing. I thin measured the volts across the earth to work lead and its only putting out 3.9VAC, on either the high or low tapping. reading on the net it seems this should be around 35V as a number? Does anyone have any experience with troubleshooting this fault - looks like the transformer , which is quite large has crapped out. the transformer is humming but very quiet. There is 240VAC to the machine. I was going to stick this on Gumtree to partial fund a new MIG, as the solid state arc welder does the job and this is just gathering dust, but maybe its a nature-strip job?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate. Can you find where the transformer connects. If you can unplug from the wall and measure the resistance across the primary (230v side) and also the secondary.

Sounds like the transformer has either shorted out the winding or even gone open circuit.

When measuring the voltage on secondary try earth the hand piece out. What happens. Any spark at all? Does the voltage dip to near zero?

If it does it indicates a open circuit on the transformer and the 3v you get is just induction. You will get voltage with induction but no current and when the circuit is completed will drain it to zero.

How that makes sense. Give me Call if you want anytime today

Sent from my BV9800Pro using Tapatalk

4. The Following User Says Thank You to matfew For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (10th October 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by matfew View Post
    Hey mate. Can you find where the transformer connects. If you can unplug from the wall and measure the resistance across the primary (230v side) and also the secondary.

Sounds like the transformer has either shorted out the winding or even gone open circuit.

When measuring the voltage on secondary try earth the hand piece out. What happens. Any spark at all? Does the voltage dip to near zero?

If it does it indicates a open circuit on the transformer and the 3v you get is just induction. You will get voltage with induction but no current and when the circuit is completed will drain it to zero.

How that makes sense. Give me Call if you want anytime today

Thanks Matty, there is only the smallest single spark when I earth the electode holder to the earth clamp, and it only happens on the first application, after that there is zero spark at all. I noticed also one of the laminated plates has sprung off the transformer, initially thought this would have bugger all effect - only minor field effect i would think? Perhaps its an indicator of something else. I will pull the thing to bits again and give you a call.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, many thanks for @matfew for guiding me thru the fault finding process. Welder is dead, going onto nature strip. Looking at a replacement MIG now. As recommended BOC/CIG/Lincoln at this stage. Thanks for the help guys.

Looking hard at this one
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CIGWELD-...8AAOSwmRZfRecw

Have not TIG welded for 30 yrs but good to have the flexibility up my sleeve if needed.
    Last edited by PeeBee; 13th October 2020 at 03:18 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (13th October 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    75 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Same as mine but mine is just the big brother.

I've used the tig and want a fan. But only for a few mins. Been meaning to play again recently just haven't had time.

You other lil inverter one what one of they. If the smell cig inverter style that does tig to. I used to have the 180a cig inverter stick / tig and it was brilliant with tig.

They are only lift tig meaning you have to scratch the tungsten on the parent metal to get a arc running and can't weld aluminium with a DC tig either.

You'd be stoked with the mig though. I had 2 of the cheaper $200 to $400 machines (still under the bench....) and they were crap compared the three decent cig inverter mig.

Boc do a cheap bottle to. I recon works out better than the buy your own if you using atleast a bottle or 2 a year which I do.

You pay a one off fee per year with first refill free or something asking those lines. I have started to look into it myself just not made the jump yet

9. The Following User Says Thank You to matfew For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (14th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Remember that you'll need 2 different bottles of gas if you want to do MIG & TIG.
    I own both my E size bottles for my 2 machines. Just upgraded my Renegade 200 AC/DC to a Unimig Razorweld 200 AC/DC as my 75th birthday present.
    Keeping my Unimig Procraft 240 amp MIG that I've had for 14 years now..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

11. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (14th October 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Guys, yes mine is for garage stuffing around jobs, not commercial, but its only 'good' if it works. Alum. welding - yeah can't see a need, never been a material I really work with, mainly mild and stainless. Surprised though that my local Total tool has the welder I am looking at for $50 less, so i will support them. The $50 will go some way to the TIG handpiece as well. Yes, am aware the gas is different. Wil be using straight CO2 for the MIG at this point I think.