Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    https://youtu.be/jwAPRT3Kv6Y

First run after install
    What is it idling at? sounds high, but may be due to supercharger noise.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Idles at 525rpm by the tacho. but sounds busy due to the supercharger noise plus the front gearcase is still open - 'forgot' to install the oil filler tube, so there will be some gear noise from there, and from the POD filter that is not dampening the noise as well. Stab the accelerator and its instant response.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bought these today since I have the entire front off the beast.
    https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JTX-LED-...72.m2749.l2649

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/JTX-7-LE...72.m2749.l2649

Then a Provent knock off design vent can 25mm inlet and outlets to match the rocker cover vent and s/c inlet port.https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Pro-Oil-...72.m2749.l2649

Retail therapy after spending the day at the Effluent treatment plant taking raw effluent samples - and fighting instrumentation set-up issues - needed some compensation.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,386 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I'll be keen to see how you go with those lights Phil. If they are awesome I'd be tempted to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I'll be keen to see how you go with those lights Phil. If they are awesome I'd be tempted to upgrade.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk
    Test of success will be on dark wet roads. I contacted the guy who puts them together and they use very small wattage LED's and he won't quote wattage as he says it just pushes the competition to make claims of larger illumination. If they are as good as he says, then they are a win. The ADR compliance is another reason I jumped as Vicroads confirmed they are legal also.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

mudnut (17th August 2019), poindexter (17th August 2019)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a very interesting chat to the guy from Harrop Engineering on the weekend regarding their superchargers, and he said that one guy with a 6.5 setup his bypass valve to a solenoid for better mileage at cruise.
    Looked through you pics Phil, and I can't see any bypass valve. The valve works with vacuum on petrol engines.
    Did you notice one? Should be towards the rear of supercharger.
    I did mention about your belt issues, he thinks it's an alignment problem.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by poindexter View Post
    Had a very interesting chat to the guy from Harrop Engineering on the weekend regarding their superchargers, and he said that one guy with a 6.5 setup his bypass valve to a solenoid for better mileage at cruise.
    Looked through you pics Phil, and I can't see any bypass valve. The valve works with vacuum on petrol engines.
    Did you notice one? Should be towards the rear of supercharger.
    I did mention about your belt issues, he thinks it's an alignment problem.
    I don't know how this would work? Would expect it to be a very large valve, at least as large as the s/c inlet, plus how do you idle the rotors without a clutch - sounds very unusual. The rotors are still going to turn and pump. Would be interested to know more if you can find out - sounds kind of 'mad max-ish' but maybe its true? There isn't any port or plate to speak of on my unit.

My belts are aligned, its the stupid double pulley that BD installed. Soon as I exchange it with the black plastic radiused edge unit the problem will go away. Simply another dumb error by the WA guys. Greg won't take my calls, so stuff 'em. They don't want to know.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ralph, I looked this bypass valve up and Harrop do it but its a different casting to the standard 2300. Its a butterfly adjacent to the inlet, below the rotors. Its opened on demand, usually under vacuum, to bleed a portion of the pressurised air directly into the inlet manifold. Its a boost limiting valve. I don't think it bleeds air into the engine, more that it allows another discharge path to atmosphere, being the inlet manifold, where I guess it would be recycled. I guess if you are cruising and at a constant boost, due to the nature of the s/c, this might allow you to reduce the boost and possibly maintain the speed of the vehicle, although I am a bit tangled up on that concept as the valve might be chattering away trying to work against a preset pressure I am guessing. I think in reality its an engine saving device if you have the ability to run very high boost and perhaps you can back the pressure off automatically if the engine gets super hot - only guessing.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    OK, another day with a thousand bee stings, just does not stop. Radiator top mounts didn't line up so 1.5 hrs with the dremel to sort that one. Had to strip off about 50kg of stuff to get the bottom radiator hose on - god help me if I ever have to replace it. Power steering hoses resolved, another $150 that should have logically been in 'the kit', but wasn't. Radiator in, half full of water, tomorrow is then bleed and start day I hope, few wires still to extend to opposite side of the engine bay for new assy. Spent 2 hours playing hide and seek with the tacho sense wire, end up it was hiding in full view, just could not see it.
    Assy looks good.Attachment 79073Attachment 79074Attachment 79075Attachment 79076
    That is looking pretty sexy Phil. I need a pic with the Gimp leaning into the engine bay though mate!!!

Hey what is that thing out the front below the radiator? Looks like a round cylinder heat sink? with a hose out the end? in the last pic?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    That is looking pretty sexy Phil. I need a pic with the Gimp leaning into the engine bay though mate!!!

Hey what is that thing out the front below the radiator? Looks like a round cylinder heat sink? with a hose out the end? in the last pic?
    The single aluminium extrusion sitting horizontal across the front of the radiator is the hydraulic oil cooler for the front winch. The smaller diameter double aluminium extrusion hanging down is the sup oil cooler I configured to keep the oil temps manageable. It was sitting directly over the top of the winch spool, so it picked up great airflow - nominally a 40degC drop in oil temp achieved at airspeed above say 20km/hr. Doesn't do much for low range, zero speed work as its then simply a radiator, but it also increases my oil volume by about 3L which is huge on the Chev. May end up dropping it down below the winch for the engineering activity as the VASS guy might see it as a burns risk to a pedestrian as I run over them, but putting it down lower he wont see it and I can still burn 'em! Anyway, I went this config instead of a conventional plate or radiator style as this is a hell of a lot more robust and really easy to clean with a stick if it gets clogged up with mud - cant do that easily with the other style. @MB was going to buy one, and I think @Eviltwin in WA actually bought one, unsure if he fitted it though.

I understand the gimp only comes out for special occasions and special people
    Last edited by PeeBee; 20th August 2019 at 04:47 PM.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (20th August 2019), MudRunnerTD (21st August 2019)

Page 11 of 53 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast