OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: TB45E - New to Patrol ownership advice please.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by UncleFrosty View Post
    With extremely conservative hwy driving, my TB45E gets about 25litres/100 on ULP
    When I first got my Patrol I got similar economy, I tried changing the fuel filter and using injector cleaner, changing the air filter and spark plugs, distributor cap and even adjusting the valve clearances. Economy got a bit better, but not really that much better. After about a year I noticed that the car took a long time to heat up but after 10-15 mins of driving the temp showed normal. I changed the thermostat and it heated up really quickly but also used dramatically less fuel. It turned out that the temp showed as normal but the coolant was actually still a bit cold so the car stayed in cold start mode and ran really rich. It might be worth looking at because 25 l/100km is definitely not normal.
    WARNING: Using a Tow Ball on any Snatch can KILL PEOPLE!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,404 Times in 2,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    47 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JME_GU View Post
    When I first got my Patrol I got similar economy, I tried changing the fuel filter and using injector cleaner, changing the air filter and spark plugs, distributor cap and even adjusting the valve clearances. Economy got a bit better, but not really that much better. After about a year I noticed that the car took a long time to heat up but after 10-15 mins of driving the temp showed normal. I changed the thermostat and it heated up really quickly but also used dramatically less fuel. It turned out that the temp showed as normal but the coolant was actually still a bit cold so the car stayed in cold start mode and ran really rich. It might be worth looking at because 25 l/100km is definitely not normal.
    I normally use 16 Litres per 100 K's on ULP and 18 Litres per 100 K's on LPG

I prefer a Manual any day but I am a bit of old school
    Last edited by Bob; 4th April 2017 at 05:33 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your remote as you claim I'd be looking for a TD42T or TD42Ti if you can get one. My ute has a range of approx 1200km with the Main and Sub tank.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks, that's really encouraging. The official stats are that new i guess in 1998 and in perfect condition 14/100 is what is has been marketed at so to get between 15-20l I would expect. This vehicle is also stock standard. So we would need to put in left kits and all the rest if we wanted that.

Thank you everyone for your input, its been really valuable. I think we are going to properly test drive it and do a full inspection, keeping your opinions in mind and go from there. Any further feedback is still appreciated.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    If your remote as you claim I'd be looking for a TD42T or TD42Ti if you can get one. My ute has a range of approx 1200km with the Main and Sub tank.
    This is the only car on offer and the only one that fits our budget. We are tossing up whether to let it go or potentially solve our issue of having one 2 door bench seat ute that just doesn't work for us.

Don't think I don't know about better options ahah it's just those options are not on the table. Pretty hard to get one of these even in bad repair for $4,000. I'm trying to work out based on others more expert/ informed opinions if overall this vehicle would be a decent buy.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I bought my 2001 TB45E Ti auto in 2007 and used it for 9 years before converting it to diesel. It averaged 20/100 without driving it hard (I'm 71 years old now).
    I fitted Pacemaker extractors with 2 1/2" exhaust system which made a noticeable difference - it could really breathe better and rev out easier. Fuel use didn't change because I drove it a bit harder then.
    Always ran it on 98 octane. Also fitted an Xede engine management system to get a little more out of it.

They are very solid engines if maintained correctly. If you have an engine issue, don't worry, you can buy complete engines for peanuts now.

I converted mine to diesel because I plan on towing a caravan around the country and the TB45E fuel bill would have been prohibitive.

Don't look at what it will cost you in fuel, look at what the vehicle will cost you to own while you have it. The TB45s are one of the most reliable. I've read more engine problem stories on these Patrol forums about the TD42s than TB45s and the TD42s are reputed to be bulletproof
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

8. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

abw (5th April 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JME_GU View Post
    It might be worth looking at because 25 l/100km is definitely not normal.
    Thanks. Will do.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by JCenturion View Post
    Is there a particular reason you prefer the TB45 UncleFrosty?

Would you consider the age of this vehicle to be of a concern?
    Prefer it for the acceleration. My TD42T is a slug. Also quieter in the cab, but this may be a ute vs wagon thing...
    Mine's the same (275k km) as your prospective vehicle. I wasn't concerned with the age so much, just needed more than 2 seats! Paid around $10k 7-odd years ago. Price difference to buy petrol vs diesel can more than make up for fuel cost/efficiency in some circumstances.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My TD42T engine pulls much better than my TB45E did and the TB only had 136k kms n the clock.
    I'm also really glad to no longer have the NADS and the EFI electronics.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Thanks
    Thanked 3,718 Times in 2,005 Posts
    Mentioned
    48 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My very early series 1 (built 12/1997) has just ticked over 300,000 but I believe that it's more like 450,000 at least. It was fitted with a direct injection gas system in 2011, I brought it in 2014 as a bog stock Patrol, even down to the factory fitted springs, shockers and radio. I have replaced the starter motor, radiator, thermostat, wheel bearings and some coolant hoses over the last 3 years.
    As for power, I can leave at the lights and stay with the traffic no problem, oh mines an auto. It doesn't like any hills, but just flick off the overdrive, let the revs climb and it's not a problem. I think that the 3.9 diff ratio and 305/70/16 tyres don't help.
    Fuel consumption I haven't worked it out on both fuels, but hey it's a heavy car.

Why I bought a petrol and not a diesel. I had a bad experience with a diesel yota and couldn't afford a td42.
    My gu is a daily and spends 90% of the time on the black stuff.

Am I happy with what I have. Yes.

Hope this helps.
    Last edited by jay see; 5th April 2017 at 11:12 PM.
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12