OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: I want a GU 42 by Christmas 2022! - Options and discussions on buying a used GU TD42

Thanks
    Thanked 6,868 Times in 3,667 Posts
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I want a GU 42 by Christmas 2022! - Options and discussions on buying a used GU TD42

Hello, yes, lets do it!

There's a lot of info out there but now I want to get serious and so I'm turning to all my great and knowledgeable friends in this forum.

The market has bubbled lately but there's still good purchases to be had under 25k as long as I'm armed with the right info.

I ask anyone that sees this thread to please throw down any advice for buying a used TD42.

Let's start it off with the question of conversions... I see a few zd30 to TD42 conversions for fairly reasonable prices.
    What to look for? General Quality of build of course, but what are the cheap shortcuts or quality pieces to look out for?
    What to look out for by keeping the the original box and diff ratios (whether it be RD28, ZD30, TB45, TB48....)

This photo is just shy of ten years old.. lets make new patrol memories!
    Dip falls 24-8-13 wet! (45).jpg
    Last edited by taslucas; 10th May 2022 at 08:39 PM.
    Hello from Under Down Under!

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (11th May 2022), jay see (10th May 2022), mudnut (11th May 2022), Rossco (14th May 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    When I was looking for a TD42 GU my mate who runs a garage gave me some advice about conversions and that was to check with [vehicle registration department in your state] that the vehicle has been registered as running on the new motor, not the old one.
    So if it's now a TD42, is not registered as a ZD30 still.
    He then immediately followed that with the advice - just avoid vehicles that have had an engine conversion.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

taslucas (11th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would avoid a TD42 that has been opened if you can. I have seen plenty of examples that have just not held up once opened and put back together.

If you can find a nice factory unit in a series 1 or 2 that you xam then add to would be nice ans inside your budget. Don't expect a big turbo and pump inside $25k though. I assume you are chasing a wagon yeah? Why do you want a TD mate?

I reckon the real draw back with a conversion is short cuts and home jobs mate. And promises that the kms are legit ans you can't prove any of it.

Note that GQs are renowned for having crap odometers that stop turning so if so guy has found a silver top out of a GQ with no real history, dropped kt into a GU to flip for coin and covid Tax. Follow the trail.

If I was willing to buy a converted car it would probably be an LS to be honest.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a CRD remapped and a safe tune. Yeeee Haaw

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I would avoid a TD42 that has been opened if you can. I have seen plenty of examples that have just not held up once opened and put back together.

If you can find a nice factory unit in a series 1 or 2 that you xam then add to would be nice ans inside your budget. Don't expect a big turbo and pump inside $25k though. I assume you are chasing a wagon yeah? Why do you want a TD mate?

I reckon the real draw back with a conversion is short cuts and home jobs mate. And promises that the kms are legit ans you can't prove any of it.

Note that GQs are renowned for having crap odometers that stop turning so if so guy has found a silver top out of a GQ with no real history, dropped kt into a GU to flip for coin and covid Tax. Follow the trail.

If I was willing to buy a converted car it would probably be an LS to be honest.
    Ive considered all engine options from time to time but I'm no expert so will ask for more opinions here.
    I don't have the TD42 up on a pedestool, more I settled on it by elimination. And definitely tell me if I'm wrong!
    I've told myself that maybe I could get a good low km zd30, NADS it and treat it right then maybe I'd be fine but realistically I'd always be watching for grenade symptoms. (Three friends have them, one is going great with 37s and lots of hard use, one seems fine but he's only had it a year and the third blew up at around 300,000kms).

Two mates have 2.8's (one is relatively trouble free and the other just replaced a head and turbo at 370,000km) they seem good little motors but maybe I'm after just a bit more torque?

TB45 and 48 are out simply for the fuel usage unfortunately.
    I would definitely go an LS conversion and love it but so far I've only seen what look like hack jobs under 25k.

I know the TD doesn't have huge power but I believe I'd be happy idling around with a close to stock set up.
    I've seen two bone stock sub 300,000 km wagons for under 25k on gumtree in the last few weeks. But of course ideally I'd score something with at least a lift and tyres fitted.

Use would be daily driving (My work commute is 20km per week ), light touring and camping (bitumen, gravel, greasy forestry tracks, overnight light camp, not loaded up for weeks away), the inescapable Tasmanian mud rut and greasy wet hill, and once a year or less something like climes track but never cold stream track level. So a wagon with the basics - around 3" lift and 33 or 35s, winch, draws in back to throw a bed on.

Sent from my XQ-AT52 using Tapatalk

9. The Following User Says Thank You to taslucas For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (11th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,058 Times in 613 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There are more poorly done conversions out there than good ones. If you were really set on a TD42, the only ones to consider are stock late model TD42Ti with reasonable Kms and good service history. Those will be the ones with the silly price tags on them.

I wouldn't touch a ZD30 Di. Too many tears been shed over those. If I had to stay with a Patrol, I would readily go for a good CRD. With a remap, exhaust and decent IC they will go better than any stock TD42Ti.
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (11th May 2022), taslucas (11th May 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    56 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post
    There are more poorly done conversions out there than good ones. If you were really set on a TD42, the only ones to consider are stock late model TD42Ti with reasonable Kms and good service history. Those will be the ones with the silly price tags on them.

I wouldn't touch a ZD30 Di. Too many tears been shed over those. If I had to stay with a Patrol, I would readily go for a good CRD. With a remap, exhaust and decent IC they will go better than any stock TD42Ti.
    The CRD is 2007 onwards yeah?

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

I want a GU 42 by Christmas 2022! - Options and discussions on buying a used GU TD42

Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    The CRD is 2007 onwards yeah?

Yeah mate, CRD had a black intercooler shroud/cover and the DI had a silver one from memory
    BTW common rail all the way or a dMax of course

CRD

Di

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Maxhead; 11th May 2022 at 06:05 PM.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (12th May 2022), taslucas (11th May 2022)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by jff45 View Post

Mods can you please ban this muppet?! wash your mouth out John!

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (12th May 2022), jff45 (12th May 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Worth considering finding an earlier 2000/1 bog stock Grandpa spec TD42T only?
    Bought and used to own a ripper one, intercooler-less yes but unless towing 3.5T stupidly in higher cogs uphill they are great tug boats in cooler Vic/Tassy climates

18. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

taslucas (11th May 2022)

Page 1 of 16 12311 ... LastLast