Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
G'day Rainsey, I'm running 2 x Davies Craig 16" fans side by side that pull 2120 cfm each. My reasons were mainly for as you've suggested for easy shut off in creek crossings and heaps of pull still at lower rpm crawling speeds. I do believe though that a good mechanical fan system will outperform my setup on the highway. I do also need to add a second alternator though because each fan draws 19amps and are controlled through a 'Derale' twin thermo switch system roughly 10F degrees apart. So if I need to winch and both fans are on I'm stuffed at the moment. Other cooling mods underway should see the second fan almost not needed I'm hoping.
Gotta head to dinner now so can send some pics tomorrow if you need mate, Cheers!
You have just hit on something that I never thought of, thank you .... winching. Having said that, most of my winching has been short periods, probably no more than half an hour and not in a situation where I could not stop. This does not mean this will change.

I am pondering on the idea of a hydraulic winch. I still want to do this as you can winch all day and only suck 2 or 3 amps. The reason I have not done it yet is that with the set up under the bonnet with the serpentine belt, stuffed if I can figure out how to put in an additional oil pump. Don't want to winch off my stearing pump.

Thanks for the jog of the synaps. Good point.

Kindest regards
Rainsey

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD