Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Rust Prevention

Hi Guys,
    Came across a few threads of dealing with the metal cancer, and thought of throwing in two choices.
    1/ Aviation grade MILSPEC corrosion preventitive, brand name is TECTYL, used on Military & Commercial Aircraft, just google it and check it out. Expensive stuff though, but it works.

2/ Good old Fish Oil, hell of a lot cheaper than the above and both act in similar ways.

Good preparation is the key for any of these products to work properly. Slowly re-building the GQ I stripped out the interior and was left with the resealing of the joints, and the whole body cavity was exposed to me. I got out the Metho and into a spray gun.Cavity by cavity opening a bit at a time I sprayed inside with the Metho to loosen and clean out any foreign debris, and also as we know Metho draws out any moisture. I can tell you that you will modify all types of brushes to clean out the cavitys properly. You will see the crap coming out of the drain holes each time you do this too. Once the inside cavity's are immaculate, give them a final spray of Metho again.
    Now its either option 1 or 2, I went the fish oil, its cheaper and nearly as good as Tectyl. The Fish oil must be sprayed into the body cavity's to reach all the nearly impossible places to reach. Then when its dry a protective film will have covered all metal. If using sealant and it smells like vinegar DO NOT USE IT.
    The vinegar smell is acetic acid which will start rust and corrosion. What I described for the inner body, I did exactly the same with the Chassis. Another 4 to 5 years it will be repeated, but wont be as hard to do.
    Oh yeah 1 more final tip. When pressure washing your beast, use a neutral based detergent like CT28.
    Hope this helps a bit Guys.

Dazza

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DAZZA88 For This Useful Post:

mudski (7th September 2016), Rossco (7th September 2016), Touses (24th August 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good advice, I have used fish oil in the past, I used lanoteck last time it's supposed to do same job but no cats following car until fish smell disappeared! Lol

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I gave mine a quick wash the other day , the amount of sticks,,leaf matter, and dirt
    left between the body and the snorkle astounded me there was crud everywhere.
    Dont know how I can prevent it, Im a fan of Lanotec all natural
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G`day three dogs, oh yeah I hear you, That`s what I thought when I first started cleaning out the body cavity's.
    When you think about it, going through all that mud and water, sometimes over the bonnet, its gonna get in somewhere.
    I`m just glad i`ve finished cleaning out all the body cavity's and treated them. Didn't find a spec of rust either. Then the repaint on the inside done.
    Still got a way to go till the whole GQ has been completely overhauled, but I`m getting there cause they are worth all the bloody effort !!!!

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DAZZA88 View Post
    G`day three dogs, oh yeah I hear you, That`s what I thought when I first started cleaning out the body cavity's.
    When you think about it, going through all that mud and water, sometimes over the bonnet, its gonna get in somewhere.
    I`m just glad i`ve finished cleaning out all the body cavity's and treated them. Didn't find a spec of rust either. Then the repaint on the inside done.
    Still got a way to go till the whole GQ has been completely overhauled, but I`m getting there cause they are worth all the bloody effort !!!!
    I see you're only 10min away from me I over near the deerpark shopping centre
    if you ever need a spare arm yell out cant do much but can do somethings. lol
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks threedogs, I really appreciate the offer, and like wise if you need a hand.

Dazza