Thread: Suspension questions

Thanks
    Thanked 4,664 Times in 3,125 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Are you really going to be doing the type of driving that needs Fox shocks?
    I reckon you'd be fine with a 2" OME lift. That's what I have, flex isn't great and it can be a little rough but when the car is fully loaded for trips it is smooth as to drive and handles awesome on the road!
    Well that's what I'm also contemplating..
    But..
    This is a 10 year car atleast..
    So I'm thinking along the lines of do it once and do it right..
    we plan to do a lot more trips now the kids are a touch older and nissa has a stable job with AL.
    And some of the trips will be remote, corrigations etc etc..
    Sure OME will handle it..
    But these shocks will eat it..
    As they say, happy wife happy life..
    If the kids and wife are happy to be in the car for weeks at a time no mater what the conditions then it'll make convincing that much easier..

There are a few reasons I'm looking at this level of shock..
    1- quality.
    2- support
    3- adjustability
    4- rebuildable (10 years is a long time)
    5- ride comfort (really that is no.1)

So yea..
    I think my mind is made up..
    Talking to darren mate quickly adjustable fox shocks are more $$$ again..
    So I think the superior remote res shocks are the winner..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

2. The Following User Says Thank You to BigRAWesty For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (3rd June 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by taslucas View Post
    *Scheme 😐

>>>tappin from tassie
    bhahahaha! Mate i typed that on my phone this morning and thought....WTF That aint right! but was Blank. Owned!!
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (3rd June 2016), taslucas (3rd June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    Always buy the best shocks you can afford. Dont stress to much about adjustments. Once they are set you wont touch them again and unless you know how to convey your vehicles dynamics into adjustments then having adjusters is kind of pointless. I would get the fox.
    ^^^^^^^ What this guy Said! ^^^^^^^

100%

Especially if you intend to run polyairs or something in the rear for touring? they are your adjustment and all that you will need IMO. The Front load will Not Change Ever once you have it set up with your bar and winch in place.

Chat with Matt from ProDiesel. I assume the Fox have the variable valving in them like the OME. Infinitely Variable. On that basis the OME will make micro changes to valving on each and even compression to account for the presented weight, speed of each movement. You will find the Fox will be the same. You, the Operator, User, will never be able to tune your shocks that well.

Initial appropriate core Valving is the key. Provide your front and rear weights to the Shock provider and they should be able to provide you the right setup.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 3rd June 2016 at 12:37 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

BigRAWesty (3rd June 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My OME have over 170,000kms on the springs and Shocks. That is Awesome! Not looking to change any time soon but when i do i will apply the rule from Matty above. I will be looking Up the tree not down. Fox for me or if the funds are there Kings Smoothies for the win.

Note also.... If you go to sell your GU in 5 or 10 years and it has Fox or Kings under it. Remove them and fit what you replacing with them now, Your Fox or Kings will still be worth Big Coin second hand.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    ^^^^^^^ What this guy Said! ^^^^^^^

100%

Especially if you intend to run polyairs or something in the rear for touring? they are your adjustment and all that you will need IMO. The Front load will Not Change Ever once you have it set up with your bar and winch in place.

Chat with Matt from ProDiesel. I assume the Fox have the variable valving in them like the OME. Infinitely Variable. On that basis the OME will make micro changes to valving on each and even compression to account for the presented weight, speed of each movement. You will find the Fox will be the same. Your, the Operator, User, will never be able to tune your shocks that well.

Initial appropriate core Valving is the key. Provide your front and rear weights to the Shock provider and they should be able to provide you the right setup.
    Had a quick chat to Matt this morning and no fox don't have adjusters on them..
    That's an extra $600..
    Both companies will set the shocks to suit my car in house before sending them out.
    But that extra adjustability means a smoother ride over corrigations etc and the ability to firm em up when fully loaded..
    Poly airs will take the load yes, eventually.. but they won't stop roll..

Dam you guys..
    Im torn...
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The Shocks have no effect on body roll mate, that is All Spring and Sway bars. The purpose of the shock is solely to Dampen the spring. It dampens how quickly the compression occurs and Dampens the Rebound of that compression. How much force is required for the compression is all Spring though. Thats why the Airbags would suit because they actually Increase the required Compression.

Matt also sells a 24mm HD Sway bar which i have on the back of my GIV and its great.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 3rd June 2016 at 12:49 PM.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Had a quick chat to Matt this morning and no fox don't have adjusters on them..
    That's an extra $600..
    Both companies will set the shocks to suit my car in house before sending them out.
    But that extra adjustability means a smoother ride over corrigations etc and the ability to firm em up when fully loaded..
    Poly airs will take the load yes, eventually.. but they won't stop roll..

Dam you guys..
    Im torn...
    Ask Matt whether he thinks you will need the adjusters. How many Adjusters he has sold? I bet its not many.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fair call..
    So Matt has suggested adjustable at least on the rear..

Also reading fox 2.0 only run a 15 mm (5/8) shaft where as the superior run a 20mm shaft..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Thanks
    Thanked 12,754 Times in 7,160 Posts
    Mentioned
    119 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    And dont forget to disuss it with your missus or you'll be paying for more that a vacuum cleaner

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Clunk For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Clunk View Post
    And dont forget to disuss it with your missus or you'll be paying for more that a vacuum cleaner
    Bahahaha..
    Yes I have been in full discussion and full disclosure of details..
    But it won't matter when it arrives..
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast