Thread: New track rating app - feedback required

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    HI all

I wanted to provide an update on this app. We have continued to progress the project and currently we are recruiting 4wders to help collect baseline data. Initial focus will be on capturing track data for Victoria, with a focus on the High Country region.

Please yell out if you are interested in providing GPS track data (you might already be recording your tracks). We will be offering free use of the app (including premium features) on launch for those who contribute.

Many thanks

James.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red1234 View Post
    HI all

I wanted to provide an update on this app. We have continued to progress the project and currently we are recruiting 4wders to help collect baseline data. Initial focus will be on capturing track data for Victoria, with a focus on the High Country region.

Please yell out if you are interested in providing GPS track data (you might already be recording your tracks). We will be offering free use of the app (including premium features) on launch for those who contribute.

Many thanks

James.

Will this be Apple or android? I'd be keen to run some tests on the Apple. Are you assuming that your app will run as the primary mapping package and GPS? Surely it must or swapping between hema or mudmap to your app would be come clunky.

I'm keen to do some testing in the high country for you on an iPad no worries.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 8th August 2017 at 10:49 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Will this be Apple or android? I'd be keen to run some tests on the Apple. Are you assuming that your app will run as the primary mapping package and GPS? Surely it must or swapping between hema or mudmap to your app would be come clunky.

I'm keen to do some testing in the high country for you on an iPad no worries.
    Thanks MudRunner, we intend on releasing the app on both IOS and Android but may make use of 3rd party apps for collection of data whilst ours are being built.

Our vision is that Newtracs will be the only navigation app you will need but we will look to build in functionality to allow you to use Hema and other popular map formats in the app also. Hema make paper maps and digitise them to use on a mobile device - our core offering will have a feel similar to Google maps, but with more accurate track info.

I will PM you with details of how you can contribute.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to red1234 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,611 Times in 3,108 Posts
    Mentioned
    43 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Isnt this what 4x4 earth was about @AB @MudRunnerTD
    Cheers
    Kallen Westbrook

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bigguwesty View Post
    Isnt this what 4x4 earth was about @AB @MudRunnerTD
    Hi bigguwesty, 4x4 earth seems to aim to provide track reports, but my experience with it is that the reports are not comprehensive or updated regularly enough. Our app will be able to infer the condition of the track users tackle without their active input. In this way we can provide regular updates of track conditions to a wide number of tracks. In addition we aim to offer other useful features like track difficulties tailored to your rig setup, route planning, and location of free campsites.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all

Quick update on progress - we have further progressed with development and have gained access to a huge dataset of GPS track logs covering most of Australia. This will represent our baseline dataset and we plan to have something out in the market by October.

I have been doing the rounds visiting 4x4 club member meetings (in Vic) to spread the word and gain valuable feedback. Support from the community has been fantastic, showing a real need for this solution.

We have also built a prototype analysis engine which can ingest standard GPX track logs to figure out where problem areas are along tracks. Difficulty is based on comparing performance of cars and their respective setups.

Check out the mock up screenshots in the galley on our website at www.newtracs.com.au/gallery

Cheers
    James

9. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to red1234 For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (19th April 2018), jay see (20th April 2018), mudski (19th April 2018), Touses (19th April 2018)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    James just on your analysis engine , im guessing this will be ultimately what will grade track difficulty autonomously.

How does this differentiate between say a driver taking it easy and crawling up or down difficult terrain vs a driver who limiter bashes it and goes as fast as they can all the way through the same obstacle?

Surely if it was partly a time based kind of analysis that it could be completely wrong in grading of the track.

Hope you get what im saying.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    2002 GUIII Ti 4.8
    Details here

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Mike02Ti For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th April 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike02Ti View Post
    James just on your analysis engine , im guessing this will be ultimately what will grade track difficulty autonomously.

How does this differentiate between say a driver taking it easy and crawling up or down difficult terrain vs a driver who limiter bashes it and goes as fast as they can all the way through the same obstacle?

Surely if it was partly a time based kind of analysis that it could be completely wrong in grading of the track.

Hope you get what im saying.

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk
    And dry versus Wet is a whole other animal.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Awesome idea mate! Very hard though from recent experiences found up there in the Vic-HC. Planned burnoff/dozer blokes keep moving their signs without thought of the 6hr open track crawling start point to get there :-( !

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Thanked 6,997 Times in 2,911 Posts
    Mentioned
    76 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by red1234 View Post
    HI all

Many thanks

James.

G'day mate, just seen your thread and have to admit you have done really well for the third degree some have given you. I understand your motives and think it is a great project. I've tried to sign up in your website but either my internet connection is piss poor or your servers are inundated with people signing up =P

I'm definitely been to be a beta tester for your app. Also, if your an avid 4wder and available you should drop by on our August forum Meetup in licola? Would be a good opportunity to show people how your app works?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    I got red dust in my veins.

Check out My Rig here: Broken

Pics of Forum trips I've Been on:
    Pizza at AB's - 2012 Knockwood - 2013 Krissos Place Australia Day - 2015 Pizza at AB's - March 2015 Pizza at AB's - May 2015 Dargo - 2015 Newnes - 2016

15. The Following User Says Thank You to rusty_nail For This Useful Post:

Winnie (20th April 2018)

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast