Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crimpy View Post
    Were you happy with the 85% reduction gears, what made you go 85%?
    Crimpy, I am very happy with the 85% reduction gears, in fact had the transfer case swapped over to the Chev conversion. I went this way for a couple of reasons and there are some negatives as well that have eventuated over time.

My vehicle was very heavy from carrying far too much crap, and the little 6 cyl just didn't have the engine braking in low range I wanted. Additionally I found I had to hit the harder/trickier stuff uphill harder as well and just am allergic to unnecessary damage. The 85% gears slow things down nicely and feel like perhaps 1.5 gears below first low before the swap. I have used them on many occassions when traction was limited and a really 'soft approach' was required instead of redlining through the obstacle.

The negatives are that the gears are very noisy compared to the original factory gears. They howl and have a distinctly coarse sound. Top speed in fifth on the redline is circa 30kmhr, and the 2.8 is hopeless in high range, so for Vic Alpine stuff its great. For sand its a pain as you need to be playing in 3 or 4th low and driving is on the knife edge. i could never do a Simpson desert crossing with the low range gear set, and with the torque-less engine in high range would stutter at the first sand dune out of Dalhousie - and yes i have done the crossing west to east In some regards I lost a lot of flexibility going so low, but as i spend most of my free adventure time in Vic high country the gear set worked beautifully for me. Also came in very handy a few times when vehicles had to be recovered and towed out of the bush over extended distances - the likes of the back of Wonnangatta to Melb and Butcher Country/Caledonia river valley via Dingo hill before it was converted to switch backs etc.

Looking forward it will be interesting to see if the new set-up is over geared for what i actually need. i have done the comparison and the low range/1st comes up from 70:1 to circa 60:1, however I am yet to feel the braking effect of the V8 diesel, so time will tell. I think there is a fair amount of support for the 60%? gears as a good compromise if your motor can develop torque above that of a mosquito! Bit long winded, but the complete picture from my end.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Handy to know mate. I think I'll lean away from that much reduction as we're setting the patrol up mostly to travel around Aus. Though a serious downside is the fact that the eastern side of melb where we are can have some fairly serious hills.
    Have you had the v8 on the dyno?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,734 Times in 2,684 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Handy to know mate. I think I'll lean away from that much reduction as we're setting the patrol up mostly to travel around Aus. Though a serious downside is the fact that the eastern side of melb where we are can have some fairly serious hills.
    Have you had the v8 on the dyno?
    No not yet on dyno, still waiting to get it back. Its a brand new motor so will wait until it loosens up a bit.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks mate both the boost and EGT are on the list; don't seem too expensive and both worth while. Where abouts did you install yours?
    Have you got the standard exhaust on yours? Curious to know how that impacted temps if you have upgraded to 2.5 or 3 inch.
    Hi. Just got them in a dual pod holder sitting on the dash. May do the pillar pod thing in the future. There is an access grommet down in the drivers side footwell which should enable you to run all the wires and tube without drilling through the firewall. I also ran the wires and tube to the turbo gauge in the gap between the windscreen and the dash - no holes in dash. If and when I change to the pillar pod they will simply run up in to that location as well. Have not changed the exhaust but I probably will at some stage int he future - not sure if 2.5 or 3 as I haven't really looked in to it at this time.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12