Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Winch isolation switch

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Winch isolation switch

Well the winch has been purchased and now I am looking for advice/howto etc regarding installing an isolation switch so it doesn't get turned on by accident.
    Any advice, pictures, instructions would be gratefully appreciated.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Simplest option is an Isolator at the battery.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Auto-Car-...wAAOSwo4pYh0N9

If you want a switch style...
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-RV-Bo...MAAOSwx6pYtnHR

or you can put in a hi current relay style
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Car-RV-Bo...MAAOSwx6pYtnHR

Links for illustrative purposes only... and whatever option you choose remember your winch can, in some circumstances, pull upwards of 500 amps
    Last edited by the evil twin; 2nd July 2017 at 04:29 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You mean by accident or on purpose , brother in law has a master switch fitted under the bonnet because he heard from a mate that heard it from another mate that someone they knew left their forby to go for a walk and when they got back someone had used a paper clip to hot wire the plug and put the hook end over the car onto the tow bar and turned it on until it crushed the cab enough to spring the doors open then ransacked the car .
    My elcheapo Aldi winch has an isolator and also if you select auto the cable plug becomes inoperative .
    A big enough isolator switch can be bought from super cheap but not sure how you could accidentally turn the winch on .

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,724 Times in 2,679 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have struggled to find an isolation switch that will take 400amps for anything over a minute of so - have melted a couple. For ultimate protection, simply take the power lead to the winch off the battery and attach it when required or you are heading out 4WDing. I doubt any of us really needs it connected 100% of the time and i reckon i have used my winch once in 5yrs. You are then assured of a good clean connection if you do it correctly. The more connections between the winch and battery the more opportunity for resistance and heat build=up.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree ^^^

FWIW my winch is on a cradle with front and rear mounts and Anderson Plugs and it gets used for moving shit around more than recovery.
    When I want to use it I plug the sucker in the appropriate end of me truck.

For about $100 or so you can get switch style isolators rated 2000 amp inst, 1000 amps for 1 minute, 400 amps continuous IIRC.
    I used them at work on the boats a few years back "Blue Sea" brand or somesuch.

Not worth the hassle or expense for recreational 4X4 use tho IMHO
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (2nd July 2017), PeeBee (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,503 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I would simply put an isolation switch for the power on the switching side of the solenoid into the control circuit.. Easy to do with low current back to a carling switch.

I'd your really keen to fit a high current switch then the Bluesea BLU 3001 I think it is will handle the current with ease.
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 2nd July 2017 at 05:54 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks again for the input guys.
    Sometimes the best idea is really the simplest.
    Keep the power cable disconnected until I go bush.
    Done and very cheap.
    I will look into MudRunner's idea a bit more as an isolator inside the cabin may be a good emergency stop method.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,503 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The down side to installing an isolation on the switching side of t he solenoid is it works best id the solenoid is not bolted to the top of trhe winch. It is a low current circuit though and without power to the winch solenoid you'd have to hot wire across the motor terminals.

The Bluesea BLU3001 will isolate the winch from the battery. The link above allowing you to simply disconnect the winch power under the bonnet is fine too just remember to hook it back up before going off road.

In my GU I have isolated the switching circuit only and have switched it under the bonnet . On the GQ i have an isolation switch in the cab for the switching side of the solenoid and also fitted the BLU3001 as a safety kill switch for the 24v system to the winch
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 2nd July 2017 at 06:07 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yeah... onya Mudrunner... knew I was on track altho I was wrong on the specs, those Blue Sea Isolators are what I used a while back on the work boat winches.

Higher ratings than the Cole Hersee equiv and still working after 4 or 5 years

15. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (2nd July 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I would simply put an isolation switch for the power on the switching side of the solenoid into the control circuit.. Easy to do with low current back to a carling switch.

I'd your really keen to fit a high current switch then the Bluesea BLU 3001 I think it is will handle the current with ease.
    I found an old thread (2011) where you explained isolating the hand controller wires. There was an image however that is now not being shown by Photobucket.
    Any chance you still have that image?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast