Thread: Modified GQ Bonnet

Thanks
    Thanked 13,496 Times in 6,599 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Thanks Guys, the VASS engineer is going to sign off on the 1" body lift. I could do the scoop as long at its not higher than 80mm above the bonnet. Speaking with Brunswick Diesels again this morning they simply cannot give any guidance as to where specifically the clash points are - story keeps changing, vague, but they know the body lift fixes everything with the clearance so i am backed into a corner. I have started on removal of the body lift bolts, both sides done except pass side rear corner that appears to be spinning a nut in its retainer, and the two fronts remain for tomorrow to remove then start the reassembly.
    A piece of 25mm square tube down that hole will hold that nut from memory.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Has the VASS Engineer assumed you have a 2" lift only? I am assuming you have 2" lift and 33s making a total of 3" lift already giving you no allowance for the body lift?

If the above is correct you could get the charger on with a 25mm BL running 31s for Engineering then deal with the bonnet once its all done. Remove the BL and do the bonnet then and stay legal.
    You are 100% onto it Darren, thats the plan. It then gives me time to resolve exactly what the interference areas are and then get the best bonnet outcome.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    A piece of 25mm square tube down that hole will hold that nut from memory.
    Thanks, there is already a light sheetmetal retainer over the nut. i am going to take your advice from previous and open the hole up a bit so i can get to the nut retainer. I may be able t smash the retainer off and simply put the rattle gun it like the others.

Now regards lifting the body itself, how many jacks, where are they placed?

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    Wonder if they would give you a rolled up plan cut out template or some clearance plan x-y axis dimensions.

Easy to cut out bonnet skin from top and ribs from underneath with 1mm thick cutting wheel with angle grinder.

Just a thought.

Off to work in the vegie patch.
    John
    Neither Bullet cars or BD are of much help in the details. They have done a few s/c installations but its not their core business, so they don't pay much attention or document much it seems.

Thanks
    Thanked 12,415 Times in 6,257 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    One jack and a long piece of wood. Pretty sure we did that 2 or 3 times on either side. That's what I did when I removed my body lift.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (14th January 2019), PeeBee (14th January 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, 25mm body lift in, took 5 hours start to finish. Not difficult, just need to think it thru. ARB side rails are sitting on the factory flares but does not look out of place. Drivers passenger door feels tight to close, probably a bit of distortion going on from the jack, not a problem, just a note. The hardest ones to replace were the two rear mounts and the trickiest were the two front mounts due to congestion between radiator and grill. I used two bottle jacks and a block of wood. I blew up my rattle gun yesterday, so things started out a bit tiresome until I converted the battery drill with some modified tools to act like a rattle gun, then away it all sailed. I still need to cut a small section out of the floor behind the transfer case selector as can't get low range at the moment - job for tomorrow, Also lift might get me the room to modify the second fuel tank filler piping as well.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Bidja (16th January 2019), MudRunnerTD (15th January 2019), Rossco (15th January 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Made the adjustment to the floorpan, and rubber boot for the transfer case lever, took 2 hours to get all the 'stuff' screwed to the floor and trans tunnel so I could get the carpet up high enough. Was good to understand how the transfer case position detent rack worked - never really thought about it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Made the adjustment to the floorpan, and rubber boot for the transfer case lever, took 2 hours to get all the 'stuff' screwed to the floor and trans tunnel so I could get the carpet up high enough. Was good to understand how the transfer case position detent rack worked - never really thought about it.
    Yeah when we did winnies clutch i took pics out of interest too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (16th January 2019), Winnie (16th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Bidja (16th January 2019), PeeBee (16th January 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Once that slot is engaged I can't see it coming out in a hurry, really good to see how 'positive' it is. A mate had a BJ47 shorty and he knocked that out of transfer case into neutral and enged up a roll over.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Rossco (16th January 2019)

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast