The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,261 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quicksand500 View Post
    Why do we need to fit EGR blanking plates on the ZD30DDTI when the recirc system has a butterfly to begin with? Cant we just remove the vacuum from the solenoid to that?
    Two totally separate things mate. The intake has two butterflies. One to assist in engine shut down and the other acts like a choke when the engine is cold or at low rpm. This one some people will remove the vac pipe to it so it stays open believing it there is better performance to be had but there isn’t really.
    These has nothing to do with the egr system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Two totally separate things mate. The intake has two butterflies. One to assist in engine shut down and the other acts like a choke when the engine is cold or at low rpm. This one some people will remove the vac pipe to it so it stays open believing it there is better performance to be had but there isn’t really.
    These has nothing to do with the egr system.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Perhaps not really the butterfly i'm speaking of then- at least that's my understanding. Its part of the EGR system and appears to be post exhaust manifold in the pipe work routed around rear of cyl head prior to EGR cooler.1234.JPG

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Perhaps not really the butterfly i'm speaking of then- at least that's my understanding. Its part of the EGR system and appears to be post exhaust manifold in the pipe work routed around rear of cyl head prior to EGR cooler.1234.JPG
    No butterfly on the ZD EGR here in OZ as far as I am aware, or have seen. This is an EGR valve on a ZD30 direct injection, they also have inbuilt cooling in the valve itself. The Common rail ones are different again and use a water rail but are nothing like what you have pictured. I think, been a while since I have looked at a CRD EGR system. and both are controlled electronically, not via vacuum.
    index.jpg
    Last edited by mudski; 4th January 2019 at 11:41 AM.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    No butterfly on the ZD EGR here in OZ as far as I am aware, or have seen. This is an EGR valve on a ZD30 direct injection, they also have inbuilt cooling in the valve itself. The Common rail ones are different again and use a water rail but are nothing like what you have pictured. I think, been a while since I have looked at a CRD EGR system. and both are controlled electronically, not via vacuum.
    index.jpg
    I think I have some pics to help this out. This vehicle is number four hundred and something of the CRD delivered to aus per VIN in 2007 so maybe they had a few mixed legacy parts in the design?

PICS ARE OF:
    Electronic egt flow meter.
    Water cooled pipe prior to meter
    Solenoid that applies vacuum to the EGR valve solenoid
    Dodgy attempt to see down at the diaphragm... behind head low down nearing gbox almost. Can't see if it's connected to exhaust down pipe??? Maybe not exhaust manifold??

Cheers

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Sorry here are pics...2.JPG3.JPG4.JPG5.JPG1.JPG

7. The Following User Says Thank You to quicksand500 For This Useful Post:

mudski (4th January 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That's a CRD zd30 and yes it does have a EGR valve .

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    That's a CRD zd30 and yes it does have a EGR valve .

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    If you can catch the few messages earlier can you answer the question relating to the solenoid operation and butterfly?

Cheers.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    That vacuum valve is not for the EGR system. in the CRD intake manifold they use the butterfly system, like the direct injection model use, but its one entire unit running the full length of the manifold. See first pic ref number 14517 is the vacuum controlled diaphragm.
    A1_201306_018_140_140R_001.pngA1_201306_018_147_147R_001.png
    Last edited by mudski; 4th January 2019 at 01:37 PM.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,095 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    If you can catch the few messages earlier can you answer the question relating to the solenoid operation and butterfly?

Cheers.
    Sorry, I don't fully understand the zd30 egr system, to answer why you cant just keep the valve shut instead of inserting a blank.

These are just blind guesses...
    Maybe the ECU will see the valve shut and throw out a limp triggering error?
    Maybe if you remove vacuum from it, the valve remains OPEN and not closed?

Personally, Id be solid blanking it with a plate. 5 minute job...

BUt now i am abit confused. Photos you posted to me "looks" like its a CRD motor.
    However... As far as I'm aware the CRD has a electric egr valve NOT vacuum operated. I used to own 2009 CRD and the valve began failing after a while because I could hear the whirring of the valve motor after motor shut off.
    There was someone on the forum here recently with a failed egr valve, which was electric.
    2005 TD42TI

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Sorry, I don't fully understand the zd30 egr system, to answer why you cant just keep the valve shut instead of inserting a blank.

These are just blind guesses...
    Maybe the ECU will see the valve shut and throw out a limp triggering error?
    Maybe if you remove vacuum from it, the valve remains OPEN and not closed?

Personally, Id be solid blanking it with a plate. 5 minute job...

BUt now i am abit confused. Photos you posted to me "looks" like its a CRD motor.
    However... As far as I'm aware the CRD has a electric egr valve NOT vacuum operated. I used to own 2009 CRD and the valve began failing after a while because I could hear the whirring of the valve motor after motor shut off.
    There was someone on the forum here recently with a failed egr valve, which was electric.
    See my pics above Eric. I the he's confusing the vacuum operated valve setup in the manifold with the EGR valve, which is mounted on towards the front of the intake manifold, the pic of the diaphragm he's posted is towards the rear, right where this manifold butterfly set up is mounted.

Page 50 of 52 FirstFirst ... 404849505152 LastLast