Thread: 12V electric Water pumps - how are they fitted

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    snip... I was not aware of the capacity of the chev pump in my statement.
    My bad... i wasn't paying attention to the order of the info appearing... apols mate.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nissannewby View Post
    I was not aware of the capacity of the chev pump in my statement. I have since had a look and the best I can find is a mech driven 130gpm. Which is a large quantity of water. A lot of the problem with a chev is the heads I believe. There were upgrades to the "HO" water pump and the twin thermostat housing which did seem to help.

The recommendation to run watet/meth injection would help to alleviate some of the heat the head would see due to intake charge temp. Combustion temps and cylinder pressure would come down taking some load off the cooling system. Water/meth can also have a steam cleaning effect due meaning can stay cleaner longer.
    Thanks guys, I am taking all this on board. I am researching the water/meth route now. Most seem to inject into the manifold after the s/c, but one mob says its fine pre the s/c, so another tee intersection to resolve. I seems a straight water system might be right for me as all I want to do is reduce EGT's and take some load off the radiator. I will have a look into the 3 pass radiator and find out exactly what BD supply as it seems to be the deal, unfortunately its alloy which i am not that keen on, but saying that I don't actually know anyone who has had one and had a bad experience, more hearsay on the web in the main, don't know.

Does anyone have a contact for Johnno90 who made an a/c hybrid water cooled intercooler - he was up in the Moranbah region? Next question will be, which is the better system? I know the water meth system for a diesel looks anywhere from USD 600-1100
    Last edited by PeeBee; 30th December 2018 at 11:00 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I used to run Water/Meth injection on a HK Holden with the Chev 5 Litre (307) back in my boy racer days.

It wasn't an attempt at trying to reduce operating temps, more to reduce detonation and generate grunt.
    Worked well and you definitely could pick when you ran out of mix... which was the main hassle.
    Topping up the water/meth all the time became a PIA and a full injection bottle was good for about a 1 1/2 tanks of fuel on my HK.
    That engine was obviously a petty tho.

I've not had any experience with water/meth on diesels but in theory it should be quite effective on various levels, cooler charge air temp thus lower EGT's, better fuel burn.
    Given the lower EGT's etc one would think it should lower operating temps.

Probably a good question for one of the high performance diesel forums I reckon.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (30th December 2018)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123