Thread: Is it just the younger generation

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Is it just the younger generation

OK .. so went to a garage sale today. There was a lovely Toyota rig parked outside the house and the owner was running the garage sale. I said what a great touring rig setup he had (and it was) .. he turns to me and says "yeah and it's better than the piece of shit your driving" .... WTF .. he must have been in his late 20's .. I mean what can ya say to the logic of that? Is it Toyota drivers? is it the youth of today? and the worse part about it is it's not the first time something like this has been said. Is it the hates for Patrols? .. why are people just so upset about the Patrols?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,370 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    They've bought a badge and not done a comparo on chassis cross-sections, drivetrain sizes or diff pumpkin sizes. Years ago I transitioned from long distance and remote motorbiking to 4x4ing. I whittled my target vehicle down to either a 4.2TD Land Cruiser or a Patrol. My gut feeling (based on zero first hand knowledge) was the Toyota was a better rig. That was until the day I met a 2nd hand 4x4 salesman who had a 75 Series and a GQ parked next to each other. I asked him what's better, Land Cruiser or Patrol? He said what's your opinion? I said LC. He said why? I said ohhh ummm better build, stronger vehicle, ummm actually not sure why. He told me to get down and roll under both vehicles to check chassis, drivetrain and diff sizes. My eyes went the size of dinner plates. Needless to say I left that yard looking only for a Patrol. So your young fella is still oblivious to reality. Don't take offence, feel pity for the poor bloke.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (7th November 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,519 Times in 3,291 Posts
    Mentioned
    126 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have a mates kids that says he'll never own a nissan....probably doesn't want to upgrade....never driven one,never owned one....so he has all the knowledge to give an honest opinion

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk
    Watch this space, as there maybe a comment added soon

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The world is full of nobs, some drive Toyotas, some are just nobs!
    Time Marches On .....and on ..... and on

7. The Following User Says Thank You to TimE For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (10th November 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TimE View Post
    The world is full of nobs, some drive Toyotas, some are just nobs!
    Most nobs seem to drive Toyotas out on the tracks

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2009 GU

Thanks
    Thanked 7,401 Times in 2,994 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Seems like plain ignorance & rudeness to me. No different to meeting someone for the first time & calling their wife/girlfriend ugly. Even if she were, saying so is just not the done thing unless you are a complete twat!

I love my Patrol, but there are aspects that the Landcruisers do better. Their seating is more comfortable, they dont have a stupid, destined to fail sub tank transfer system, & their low range gear ratios are better. I still believe after owning a 1Hz non turbo troopy that that motor is the best off road motor I have used. Currently I have the use of a 70 series ute with that motor & it has reminded me what a great torquey motor it is. I can pull away in 2nd high on flat ground without touching the accellerator & it doesnt stall!
    Last edited by Cuppa; 7th November 2021 at 07:46 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,586 Times in 718 Posts
    Mentioned
    18 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey bloke you should drive a TryHard. Had a pootrol for around twenty years. Great vehicle, set it up for what I wanted, needed. Then I made the change to a TryHard. Yep got rubbished from all sides, but hey it was my choice. OK it aint flash as, but it does what I want it to do, and yes it gets used hard, well some times. I take the rubbishing with a grain of salt, as most of these folk have never been or done what I have with their vehicle.
    Dont worry about it ,the rubbishing comes from every where even old Grey Nomads.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I wonder what he'd had said if you turned up in a datsun 180b.
    2008 CRD Auto Wagon
    Factory snorkel, flashlube catchcan pro, 3" manta exhaust, hpd boost controller, dyno-tuned & egr deleted

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,094 Times in 3,138 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It's a ever-growing ego thing... Ford vs. Holden, Apple vs. Android, Colingwood vs. Carlton...
    I copped shit when I drove a ZD30. Now I'm copping shit because I drive a TD42. Lately I'm copping shit because I have a "ancient" TD42 GU Y61 and not a latest greatest best of the best bees knees "bottom-less pockets" Y62.
    Take it as a joke... I see it as an Aussie thing to hang shit on someone due being or using something different... Beer under a bridge for me.
    2005 TD42TI

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

jay see (7th November 2021)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I cop it all the time with the zd30 comments. People put the commonrails in the same basket as earlier ones. Even had a young bloke yesterday in some dmax or something try tell me my car had a "massive misfire". I just brush others opinion off as I don't care, I know my car and am more than happy with it so that's all that matters!!! Modern day young bloke sees first essential mods as a staino cutsnake flares and an x rox bar but each to they're own i guess!!!!

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast