Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

zd30 crd drive belt noise

hi all,
    so some time ago i heard a chirping noise turned out to be the alternator pulley so i replaced it and while had it off i thought why not put a new drive belt on it.
    tensioner assembly is new and genuine also.
    i used a new dayco 7pk1640
    previously had a genuine nissan one on there still great but thought ill rotate it to a spare.
    after some time im getting belt noise sound like a slip or squeak
    so i pulled the belt off and went back to the old genuine on and all good now.

the genuine is a 7pk1646, i see all after market belts listed for zd30 crds are either 7pk1640 or shorter like 1637 or 1635

why does the longer genuine belt go fine but the shorter aftermarket belts sound to be making a slipping squeak?
    doesn't make sense.. i was close to removing the dayco 7pk1640 to fit a 1635. but the longer genuine belt is noise free.

ive read everywhere that these engine love genuine belts and i will keep using genuine now, and keep the dayco as a spare cause it will work in a pinch.

Capture.JPG

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Fireblade View Post
    hi all,
    so some time ago i heard a chirping noise turned out to be the alternator pulley so i replaced it and while had it off i thought why not put a new drive belt on it.
    tensioner assembly is new and genuine also.
    i used a new dayco 7pk1640
    previously had a genuine nissan one on there still great but thought ill rotate it to a spare.
    after some time im getting belt noise sound like a slip or squeak
    so i pulled the belt off and went back to the old genuine on and all good now.

the genuine is a 7pk1646, i see all after market belts listed for zd30 crds are either 7pk1640 or shorter like 1637 or 1635

why does the longer genuine belt go fine but the shorter aftermarket belts sound to be making a slipping squeak?
    doesn't make sense.. i was close to removing the dayco 7pk1640 to fit a 1635. but the longer genuine belt is noise free.

ive read everywhere that these engine love genuine belts and i will keep using genuine now, and keep the dayco as a spare cause it will work in a pinch.

Capture.JPG
    They certainly do love genuine belts. I believe this isn't related to the length but rather the smoothness of the ridges on an aftermarket belt. The tensioner will take care of a little extra length

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    2009 GU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was told by an "expert" that the Patrol pulleys have a unique pitch and that the only belt that lines up properly is the original belt. Don't know if this is true but I have tried a number of belts over the years and the only one that works without squealing is the original. Go figure!?

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 6,418 Posts
    Mentioned
    459 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcflurry View Post
    They certainly do love genuine belts. I believe this isn't related to the length but rather the smoothness of the ridges on an aftermarket belt. The tensioner will take care of a little extra length

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk
    7PK tells you its 7 rib and the the 1646 part is the metric outside length. As to why the shorter belt squeaks? Probably due to the belt material. Rubber ain't rubber. Belt groove pitch is identical. I've sold hundreds of 7PK1640's, in Gates brand however without one issue. Gates do make a 1645 aswell but for some reason list the 1640 for the Patrols.

Also the PK part tells you the pitch of the belt. Distance from groove to groove. All automotive belts are PK, its a world wide standard. Industrial can be PJ, PL or PM.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Fireblade (23rd July 2020)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    interesting, i might give a gates belt a shot in the future.
    thanks