Thread: Cummins engine convertion

Thanks
    Thanked 6,915 Times in 2,749 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    https://youtu.be/pW0LeNGzopg

Here's the 4.5. Never nearly heard of or seen these in a Patrol but looks like a bloody good option . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    We’ve gotta love the South African simultaneous import tubs concept
    Keen to learn more about how to front axle legal load a decent steel bar & winch on a ripper beast of a 6BT conversion

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There was a guy in Shepp who has one and he was setting up a parts upgrade business to support the conversion based on his 24V conversion. He was working at the site I was. His GU was sitting on 37" tyres and looked totally stock. It was engineered in Vic, but to do so, no second battery under the bonnet, no winch, no bulbar. He was 5kg under the max front axle load with no one sitting in it. It was accepted and signed off by the VASS engineer though. Drove like a cut cat apparently and you would not know what you were pulled up against at the lights.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah a 6bt would be nice, but no good for me, I need something I can tour in, and carry a load.
    Otherwise a 4.2 or even a 6.5 optimizer might be the go.
    2010 TB4.8, 5 speed auto TI Wagon, Beaudesert ceramic coated Extractors and 2 1/2 inch exhaust, 3inch lift, BP-51 shocks, Black hawk radius arms and drop boxes, Road Runner Offroad billet alloy draglink, Boss air bags, 295/70/17 KM3s, Redarc Gauges, GME XRS UHF, Autometre fuel gauge, Alpine head unit with offroad maps, Carbon winch, Opposite lock bull bar, Light Force Strikers, Safari Snorkel, Duel long range tanks, work in progress.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by paulyg View Post
    Yeah a 6bt would be nice, but no good for me, I need something I can tour in, and carry a load.
    I might have a kettle for sale soon mate.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,672 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    I might have a kettle for sale soon mate.

After all that work and heartache I thought you were firming for having found a solution?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Our 4.2 may be very reluctantly for sale if you can wait a few months. It's got everything needed for long term remote area touring, including a 3900kg gvm upgrade. With the front e-locker it really is a very capable set up. Have just given it it's 250,000km service yesterday. It can be sold as a package with the Tvan, or as a 'stand alone tourer' with an unused Oztent which fits neatly into a storage space under the tray. Of all the vehicles I've owned our Patrol is the one I have most trusted.I would take it anywhere tomorrow, confident it would get us there & bring us back. We've had it as the second owners, (Telstra being the first) since March 2011 when we bought it with 153,000kms on the clock & a service history dating from brand new to now.

We are in the process of buying an OKA fitted with an intercooled (water to air) Cummins 6BT, and intend getting it's manual gearbox (spicer) replaced with an Allison auto. It's a big job we are hoping a chap in Taree might do bit by bit as an 'on the side' job for us, which may take a while . Once that's done, we'll be returning to Ballarat to make a few alterations to the camper part of the OKA & to sell the Patrol & Tvan.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 13th November 2020 at 09:24 PM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (13th November 2020), Cremulator (13th November 2020), mudski (13th November 2020), Rossco (14th November 2020), Winnie (13th November 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Our 4.2 may be very reluctantly for sale if you can wait a few months. It's got everything needed for long term remote area touring, including a 3900kg gvm upgrade. With the front e-locker it really is a very capable set up. Have just given it it's 250,000km service yesterday. It can be sold as a package with the Tvan, or as a 'stand alone tourer' with an unused Oztent which fits neatly into a storage space under the tray. Of all the vehicles I've owned our Patrol is the one I have most trusted.I would take it anywhere tomorrow, confident it would get us there & bring us back. We've had it as the second owners, (Telstra being the first) since March 2011 when we bought it with 153,000kms on the clock & a service history dating from brand new to now.

We are in the process of buying an OKA fitted with an intercooled (water to air) Cummins 6BT, and intend getting it's manual gearbox (spicer) replaced with an Allison auto. It's a big job we are hoping a chap in Taree might do bit by bit as an 'on the side' job for us, which may take a while . Once that's done, we'll be returning to Ballarat to make a few alterations to the camper part of the OKA & to sell the Patrol & Tvan.
    That is awesome Cuppa. It's a shame to hear you moving on from the Patrol and Tvan but our needs and requirements change.
    Best of luck with it and I look forward to seeing your journey with the new OKA.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (14th November 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    After all that work and heartache I thought you were firming for having found a solution?
    Yeah nup.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post

Best of luck mate. I know your Patrol setup would be perfect for a lot of people. I’d love a reliable setup like yours.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (14th November 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You ever get any further with this idea? I'm thinking along these lines myself. Been looking at a coil cab ute as a donor vehicle and reckon the Cummins 4.5 common rail would be a pretty sweet partnership for touring/towing with reliability.

Came across these guys in my Googling... https://www.dieselconversionsaus.com...ne/133?si=true
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast