Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Auto locker

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    Yep, totally agree, a locked TC reduces tranny temps by heaps and yes the Tranny ECU only locks the TC in Overdrive.

After the mod the ability to lock the TC in 3rd or D and also prevent the Lock Up cycling in OD when rolling on and off the throttle when towing is one of the best things to do for the Tranny IMHO.

I noticed a worthwhile change in fuel economy (mine was a dual fueller) of an extra 50 K's or so on LPG but it would depend on terrain etc an WA tends to be open and flat.
    The big difference was the much lower tranny temps when towing my Camper on its generally 1500 to 3000 K round trips
    I only know the series l GU auto as that is what I have and the Maverick was a manual. But the GU locks the TC in 2nd, 3rd(D) and OD. An improvement from the GQ I guess.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Chubba For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (23rd September 2017)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    No idea what's in our 2002 GU either Chubba but I do know it only locks in OD same as the GQ .
    If I was keeping the GQ I would go for a wholesale auto nomad valve body and have the whole box upgraded because I believe you can even get them to lock in first gear .

5. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

Chubba (23rd September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubba View Post
    I only know the series l GU auto as that is what I have and the Maverick was a manual. But the GU locks the TC in 2nd, 3rd(D) and OD. An improvement from the GQ I guess.
    Yep, GQ Autos in the factory configuration only lock the TC in O'drive above 80 KPH which is why the mod is so popular with them esp if running 33's.

So GU is different then?

Must admit I have never driven a 4.5 tho so don't know that much about them.
    Those and the 2.8TD are the only two variants of MQ, GQ, GU I haven't had as either a private or fleet vehicle over the years.
    Last edited by the evil twin; 23rd September 2017 at 05:32 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I don't know but GQtdauto said his 2002 GU only locks in OD. Mine is a Ti. So maybe something to do with that.
    98' Ti, 4.5L, 2" lift, factory rear diff lock with front E-locker, 63% reduction gears
    "GO YOU CROWS"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Chubba View Post
    I don't know but GQtdauto said his 2002 GU only locks in OD. Mine is a Ti. So maybe something to do with that.
    I'm sure I read somewhere that the earlier GU and 94 < were the same box basically just slightly different wiring or tcu .
    Towed the same camper in both nissans and bugger all difference in the way the box works or engine heats up when the going gets tough , having just put the temp gauge on the tranny back in May for the Birdsville trip I'm still amazed at how high temps can get when the converter isn't locked .

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12