Thread: Harrop 2300 supercharger to Optimiser 6500

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Am I reading this right. An emergency power steering pump?

2. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Rossco (18th August 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,732 Times in 2,682 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Am I reading this right. An emergency power steering pump?
    YEP. Try and drive your car without a PS pump - next to impossible. For the extra effort worth the back up. The standard patrol PS pumps are pretty reliable, the chev pumps, prone to failure

Thanks
    Thanked 6,920 Times in 2,752 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah have done it before in a GQ and it's certainly a workout . . Probably harder with a big block chevy lol. . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (18th August 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rossco View Post
    Yeah have done it before in a GQ and it's certainly a workout . . Probably harder with a big block chevy lol. . .

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    500m turning circle, 100kg effort to barely move the wheel, went thru this when building the engine, and then when the pump crapped out on me after 3klm - had to take a very long loop way home and even then a right turn at the lights had me almost on th footpath before straightening up - never again. Could not imagine trying to get out of the high country tracks.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Rossco (18th August 2020)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,318 Times in 6,442 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    YEP. Try and drive your car without a PS pump - next to impossible. For the extra effort worth the back up. The standard patrol PS pumps are pretty reliable, the chev pumps, prone to failure
    Ah! the Chev pump. Yeah I'm thinking, how often would a Patrol pump fail? just about never.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (18th August 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Ah! the Chev pump. Yeah I'm thinking, how often would a Patrol pump fail? just about never.
    Egggzackerry. The n/a build of this motor had the nissan pump, but it changes for the 8 rib serpy drive. And as far as carrying a direct replacement, forget it - its a 6 hr spider finger alphabet swear word adventure, and then you need a 40 t press to get the pulley off and back on - there are a host of crappy design solutions on this setup I can assure you. I do have a spare PS pump I used to use to drive the hydraulic winch - its small and simple, in fact a replacement to the Chev unit I understand in the US on some models, however have not looked at the brackets as they would be totally different.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (18th August 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,321 Times in 4,990 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It’s official, you are out of control again Philstar Old Mate! You were doing so well too gutting out some weight for next open day adventures to comeYou have honestly saved me before though with the multitude of spare parts onboard the 4.0T beast nearly again!!
    LOVE IT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (9th September 2020), PeeBee (22nd August 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    It’s official, you are out of control again Philstar Old Mate! You were doing so well too gutting out some weight for next open day adventures to comeYou have honestly saved me before though with the multitude of spare parts onboard the 4.0T beast nearly again!!
    LOVE IT

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You are more than welcome @MB. I have a final addition to resolve being the 12v Proflow vac pump as a back up to the Chev vac pump. Both the vac and PS pumps are a failure point, well documented. Unfortunately I need the existing belt path as have a multitude of spare 8 rib belts now, so can't economically delete the Vac pump from the system without blowing $500 of belts!, similar in some ways to the PS pump which is really a 'brown dog' style found on commodores etc - Saginaw style, but the 8 rib pulley is pressed onto the shaft instead of doing a keyway and locking washer, absolutely impossible to retrofit in the field. Buying a spare pump and pulley is close to $900, so different approaches needed.

Still mulling over the speed change to the winch - can see the pro's and cons for sure, apart from the difficulty of installation.

If we get out of stage 4, its still wait for Stage 2 before any weekends away I believe. I suspect I might be back up north by then, but locked in QLD until the borders open enough to let me resume a FIFO roster - waiting to hear still about my funding and if i can start running stuff from Melb.When we hit Stage 2, first trip is a week into Burgoynes, non negotiable. Had this booked with my brother for Sept, but doubt it will happen.

16. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (19th August 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Loving this lock down time, left alone all day in the garage catching up on 'stuff'. Today was 'bracket day, 3 started and completed. The first was the finalisation of the emerg PS pump bracket, the second was design and fabrication of the manual throttle speed increase 'jigger' ( I decided to go a bit more refined than the 'bally string thing' I had fabricated earlier). I ordered a 12V actuator from the big USA and it arrived 2 days ago. Made a mount bracket, took hours, installed it, powered it to move the solenoid plunger and it had the push of a dead slater - hopeless - no idea where it supposedly should have been fitted on the IP as there are no photos or instructions, so started again this morning and went back to a simple threaded device - works a treat, operates on the 'cam' on the opposite side of the IP to the throttle cable. last bracket was to hard mount the cruise control diaphragm plunger - I suspect this having been floating instead of hard fixed is the possible reason the CC has not worked since I munched the cable in the radiator fan blades - will see if I am right next time I get out in the beast.Throttle bracket 1.JPGThrottle bracket installed.JPGThrottle bracket close-up installed.JPGCruise Control bracket.JPGFinally, here is the completed installation, all done!Engine bay - finished!.JPG

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (21st August 2020), Cremulator (21st August 2020), MB (22nd August 2020), mudnut (21st August 2020)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This caught my eye today. I have been in contact with Torqueline garage and need to do a final measure up of the rims to confirm fitment. It appears the system will fit on the 15" white rims after all, but i need to confirm the dimensions. putting this together for assessment re either a hydro boost brake upgrade or stay with system I have and upgrade the calipers front and rear. Bit of coin, but it sure would stop well, 8 pots on the front and 4 pots on the back.
    https://torquelinegarage.com.au/wilw...ston-calipers/
    https://torquelinegarage.com.au/wilw...ston-calipers/
    Kits come with everything from rotors, caliper, pads bearings, hoses.
    3 weeks leadtime. 6K landed on my doorstep. Thinking thinking thinking.......

20. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd August 2020)

Page 38 of 54 FirstFirst ... 28363738394048 ... LastLast