OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast
Results 61 to 70 of 169

Thread: Weekend projects

  1. #61
    Legendary jay see's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    3,872
    Thanks
    3,850
    Thanked 2,949 Times in 1,689 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    With no soccer and great weather I made the most of lockdown.

    Pulled my finger out and made a start on the front yard.

    Three yakkas and a boulder are now in easy access. Two other yakkas are rotten.

    Going to ask my neighbour who has a dingo and tipper if he won't mind removing the rest of the white rocks and take it all away.

    Going to put instant turf and some colour in the planter boxes. Hopefully I can get into Bunnings next weekend.

    Sent from my CPH1979 using Tapatalk
    12/97 GEE YOU
    4.5lt Gas blower. Lots of mods to come.....all in good time.

  2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jay see For This Useful Post:

    MB (30th May 2021), Rossco (30th May 2021)

  3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement
    Join Date
    Always
    Location
    Advertising world
    Posts
    Many

     

  4. #62
    The 747 Winnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gippsland, VIC
    Posts
    15,573
    Thanks
    6,989
    Thanked 11,778 Times in 6,035 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Serious question, I had planned to paint my deck joists black so they will be less visible once the boards have been laid. I got to thinking and I have 20L of pitch black used diesel engine oil, I know back in the day people would paint their fences with it, and I've given it the sniff test and there is no real smell to it now that it has been sitting uncovered for at least 12 months in the shed.
    Can anybody see any down sides to painting the joists with it? I'm not really looking to add any protection to the treated pine as it will be undercover, it is purely to stop being able to see the treated pine through the gaps in the boards.


    @rustynail @MudRunnerTD @MB

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Winnie; 31st May 2021 at 08:58 PM.

  5. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

    MB (31st May 2021)

  6. #63
    Moderator MudRunnerTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    14,834
    Thanks
    11,344
    Thanked 12,463 Times in 6,214 Posts
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Winnie hmmm if you are not looking to stop rot then I dont think I would mate. I would be concerned about the smell when it hits a 45C in the middle of summer? For the sake of $50 for paint just roll on paint mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  7. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

    MB (31st May 2021)

  8. #64
    ......... MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Yarra Valley
    Posts
    7,160
    Thanks
    18,327
    Thanked 9,214 Times in 4,085 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d probably recommend a water based bitumen paint Chrisso Mate, we use it on posts for into ground applications with lesser grade timbers like Sugargum versus bulletproof Ironbark’s.
    Have diesel sump oil mixed with turps (needed for workable painting) my hardwood fences for years and they unfortunately stick brown road dust horribly until they need re-coating again every other year painfully doesn’t last as long as you’d think


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  9. #65
    Moderator MudRunnerTD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Geelong
    Posts
    14,834
    Thanks
    11,344
    Thanked 12,463 Times in 6,214 Posts
    Mentioned
    285 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    How big a gap are yoy leaving between boards? What is the contrast like between decking and joists? Maybe you are trying to solve a problem that really isn't there?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

    Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

  10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

    MB (31st May 2021), Winnie (31st May 2021)

  11. #66
    The 747 Winnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gippsland, VIC
    Posts
    15,573
    Thanks
    6,989
    Thanked 11,778 Times in 6,035 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    How big a gap are yoy leaving between boards? What is the contrast like between decking and joists? Maybe you are trying to solve a problem that really isn't there?
    Yeah you are probably correct Daz. Will be 5mm gaps. Being 32mm boards you will probably never see the joists I suppose.
    Thanks for talking me out of it!

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

  12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

    MB (31st May 2021), MudRunnerTD (31st May 2021)

  13. #67
    The master farter
    mudski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eltham North
    Posts
    14,467
    Thanks
    7,503
    Thanked 9,609 Times in 5,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Serious question, I had planned to paint my deck joists black so they will be less visible once the boards have been laid. I got to thinking and I have 20L of pitch black used diesel engine oil, I know back in the day people would paint their fences with it, and I've given it the sniff test and there is no real smell to it now that it has been sitting uncovered for at least 12 months in the shed.
    Can anybody see any down sides to painting the joists with it? I'm not really looking to add any protection to the treated pine as it will be undercover, it is purely to stop being able to see the treated pine through the gaps in the boards.


    @rustynail @MudRunnerTD @MB

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    If it were me I would be putting some sort of protection for the joists.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/protecta...joist_p0915409

  14. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

    MB (31st May 2021)

  15. #68
    The 747 Winnie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Location
    Gippsland, VIC
    Posts
    15,573
    Thanks
    6,989
    Thanked 11,778 Times in 6,035 Posts
    Mentioned
    191 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    If it were me I would be putting some sort of protection for the joists.
    https://www.bunnings.com.au/protecta...joist_p0915409
    How about a roof above for protection? Lol

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

  16. The Following User Says Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

    MB (31st May 2021)

  17. #69
    ......... MB's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2015
    Location
    Yarra Valley
    Posts
    7,160
    Thanks
    18,327
    Thanked 9,214 Times in 4,085 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    True story.....treated piney aint a pinch of shit worth as it used to be!
    If you’ve cut its ends with a saw 🪚 there is no protection as the process of treating barely sinks in on 5mm of outers gifted to you via merchants whole


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  18. #70
    The master farter
    mudski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Location
    Eltham North
    Posts
    14,467
    Thanks
    7,503
    Thanked 9,609 Times in 5,724 Posts
    Mentioned
    396 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    How about a roof above for protection? Lol

    Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Edit : I'd still be doing it. if it were me.
    Last edited by mudski; 31st May 2021 at 09:36 PM.

  19. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

    MB (31st May 2021)

Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 56789 ... LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •