Thread: VIDEO: Otways 4WD & Camping Weekender

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

VIDEO: Otways 4WD & Camping Weekender

Wondering what you can see and do in the Otways/Great Ocean Road area? 4WD tracks, insane coastlines, waterfalls and camping, it's got it all. Here is our opinion of the best way to spend a weekend there.

Tracks we hit include: Old Coach Rd, Goat Track, Cowley Link Track, Curtis Track and Paddy's Swamp

I also made up the routes we took on Google Maps so you can follow along.

Day 1 - https://goo.gl/maps/Wwafb2Z4oyr

Day 2 - https://goo.gl/maps/rEjJChKWzen

VIDEO:

https://youtu.be/LXbmLMHarkY
    Last edited by aidanmair; 16th March 2019 at 10:08 PM.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to aidanmair For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (25th March 2019), jack (25th March 2019), MB (16th March 2019), mudnut (9th May 2019), MudRunnerTD (17th March 2019), mudski (25th March 2019), Plasnart (16th March 2019), Rossco (27th March 2019), Sherro (17th March 2019), threedogs (17th March 2019), Touses (18th March 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,961 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanmair View Post
    Wondering what you can see and do in the Otways/Great Ocean Road area? 4WD tracks, insane coastlines, waterfalls and camping, it's got it all. Here is our opinion of the best way to spend a weekend there.

Tracks we hit include: Old Coach Rd, Goat Track, Cowley Link Track, Curtis Track and Paddy's Swamp

I also made up the routes we took on Google Maps so you can follow along.

Day 1 - https://goo.gl/maps/Wwafb2Z4oyr

Day 2 - https://goo.gl/maps/rEjJChKWzen

VIDEO:

https://youtu.be/LXbmLMHarkY
    Nice one mate! Glad you didn't find my secret ocean lookout track though! ��

PS your video was first class as always!
    Last edited by Plasnart; 16th March 2019 at 10:51 PM.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Nice one mate! Glad you didn't find my secret ocean lookout track though! 😉
    I recon I know the one

6. The Following User Says Thank You to aidanmair For This Useful Post:

Plasnart (16th March 2019)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nice video mate

Thanks
    Thanked 3,765 Times in 1,516 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just saw this, nice video. Beautiful spot The Otways, and you're right - it's a totally different proposition after it rains.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good Vid mate. There are a couple of those tracks you simply would not even look at after a sprinkle. Cowley Link can get very very tough fast. Curtis in one of the harder tracks in the Otways for "On Map" stuff. About 10 years ago i got to the gate at the top of Curtis track as the sky opened and dumped a big rain. i noted that there was some fresh tracks heading in. The tyre tracks where muddies and there was a couple of sets. I was in my GQ with 35 Simexs and twin lockers and Himount. I was meeting someone at that gate with the intension of doing the track. When they arrive late after winching for a couple of hours they had no interest in heading into Curtis in the rain. It was Belting Down. Not rain, hard core wet.!!

We had a chat at the gate and i pointed out the fresh tracks and suggested that whoever that was was in trouble, they where never going to get out the other side with the tyres they were running so we headed in on what i expected to be a recovery mission. I had my wife and 3yo son in my GQ and headed in with 2 other cars.

When we got to the bottom we crossed the river and started heading out. about the second bog hole was where we found the first car. The bloke was on a Tifir going for his life. . I said G'day and we had a chat. he ask what i was doing there and i told him i came to get him cause i knew he was in trouble. Turns out there where 3 cars, all young blokes in utes. driving the straightest route on the map to Wye River.....

Did i mention it was Pouring with Rain!!

So i drove around all 3 cars and poked my head up the steep side. I hooked the lead car on and had a go at dragging him out the steep side but it gets bloody steep over the tree roots near the top and my balls where not big enough to commit my car and him hanging off the back with my young fella in the back. We lowered him back down and turned him around. We turned all of them around and started heading them out the other way.

We got them back over the river and had a go at dragging one but had to make a call. I was the best set up car. i had 2 other mates in lesser cars with me and my family in the car. By now we had had no less than 30mm of rain while on the track. it was Belting down and i was concerned about getting Any cars out. we made the call to abandon the 3 cars of the group and take the people out in the 3 cars in my group. I tied the other 2 cars to my car in a congo line and everyone bailed in. we dragged out of the bottom of Curtis in the Pouring Rain and headed to Gellibrand. Curtis got 120mm of rain that day....... It took 5 days to recover the cars. We headed back the following day and walked in to make sure the cars had not been washed away! I will never forget that day. Rain changes everything in the Otway Dirt/Mud. If its Wet forget it, it will end in tears.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Hodge (26th March 2019), mudski (26th March 2019), rusty_nail (26th March 2019), Touses (26th March 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Good Vid mate. There are a couple of those tracks you simply would not even look at after a sprinkle. Cowley Link can get very very tough fast. Curtis in one of the harder tracks in the Otways for "On Map" stuff. About 10 years ago i got to the gate at the top of Curtis track as the sky opened and dumped a big rain. i noted that there was some fresh tracks heading in. The tyre tracks where muddies and there was a couple of sets. I was in my GQ with 35 Simexs and twin lockers and Himount. I was meeting someone at that gate with the intension of doing the track. When they arrive late after winching for a couple of hours they had no interest in heading into Curtis in the rain. It was Belting Down. Not rain, hard core wet.!!

We had a chat at the gate and i pointed out the fresh tracks and suggested that whoever that was was in trouble, they where never going to get out the other side with the tyres they were running so we headed in on what i expected to be a recovery mission. I had my wife and 3yo son in my GQ and headed in with 2 other cars.

When we got to the bottom we crossed the river and started heading out. about the second bog hole was where we found the first car. The bloke was on a Tifir going for his life. . I said G'day and we had a chat. he ask what i was doing there and i told him i came to get him cause i knew he was in trouble. Turns out there where 3 cars, all young blokes in utes. driving the straightest route on the map to Wye River.....

Did i mention it was Pouring with Rain!!

So i drove around all 3 cars and poked my head up the steep side. I hooked the lead car on and had a go at dragging him out the steep side but it gets bloody steep over the tree roots near the top and my balls where not big enough to commit my car and him hanging off the back with my young fella in the back. We lowered him back down and turned him around. We turned all of them around and started heading them out the other way.

We got them back over the river and had a go at dragging one but had to make a call. I was the best set up car. i had 2 other mates in lesser cars with me and my family in the car. By now we had had no less than 30mm of rain while on the track. it was Belting down and i was concerned about getting Any cars out. we made the call to abandon the 3 cars of the group and take the people out in the 3 cars in my group. I tied the other 2 cars to my car in a congo line and everyone bailed in. we dragged out of the bottom of Curtis in the Pouring Rain and headed to Gellibrand. Curtis got 120mm of rain that day....... It took 5 days to recover the cars. We headed back the following day and walked in to make sure the cars had not been washed away! I will never forget that day. Rain changes everything in the Otway Dirt/Mud. If its Wet forget it, it will end in tears.
    Holy cow, what a mission! You've certainly reaffirmed my decision to steer clear of said tracks after rains

12. The Following User Says Thank You to aidanmair For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (2nd April 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,577 Times in 911 Posts
    Mentioned
    16 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey mate cracking vids. I literally just got back from east coast tassie so enjoyed your video. Can't wait to go back and tackle the west coast with the 4wd
    Impressed with your camera work. If you are ever interested in doing some filming for 4x4 adventure club let me know. We generally pay a small amount (petrol money really)
    Last edited by lucus30; 2nd April 2019 at 09:11 PM.
    Lucus30's 1999 GU ST TB45E

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lucus30 View Post
    Hey mate cracking vids. I literally just got back from east coast tassie so enjoyed your video. Can't wait to go back and tackle the west coast with the 4wd
    Impressed with your camera work. If you are ever interested in doing some filming for 4x4 adventure club let me know. We generally pay a small amount (petrol money really)
    Hey lucas, I tried to reply to this ages ago but it never went through sorry! Glad you like the videos. As much as I'm stoked that you've asked me to film, between working full time and building up my own YouTube channel I really don't have time to take on another project.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,880 Times in 3,231 Posts
    Mentioned
    17 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aidanmair View Post
    Hey lucas, I tried to reply to this ages ago but it never went through sorry! Glad you like the videos. As much as I'm stoked that you've asked me to film, between working full time and building up my own YouTube channel I really don't have time to take on another project.
    Your reply is there now, it went into moderation due 2 you being a newish member and including in your post an email link which our anti spam program filters out and classifies it as spam until a moderator or admin approves your post. Sometime us mods and admin can be very slack at doing our job
    Time is never wasted when your wasted all the time

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast