Thread: TD42t loosing power

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42t loosing power

Hey guys, I recently purchased an 02 GU with a TD42T and have only put around 4,000km on it, and one trip on the sand dunes where it got a bit hot. Since then it's been loosing power and flat spots at random RPM usually between 1.8k 2.4k, feels like it's starving for fuel. Any suggestions would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to 02_GU_TD42 For This Useful Post:

dpetersen (12th January 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’d get your injectors/injector pump checked out mate.
    What rpm does it sit at when idling?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2006 4.2 tdi wagon
    TJM BullBar and bar work, Light bar & spotlights, Airtech snorkel, tradie rack, blocked egr, 2inch lift on 33s and a 3 inch exhaust to go with it all.
    Plenty more to come!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate. It would help if you did an intro in the introductions and told us a bit more about yourself and the vehicle. Not sure what you were doing in the sand hill trip, but you may have blocked air filters, part blocked fuel filters or a loose connection in the fuel system letting air in now and again. from the little information you have given here it could be lots of things some minor some major. Also how hot and for how long?
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    For memory around 600-650rpm, and yeah that's what I was planning to do this arvo, just need the pump timing and pressure but I don't have access to the FSM on here yet.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers 4bye4,
    Going off the factory water temp gauge it was about 3/4 for about 2-3 minutes, so I let it cool down at idle and I spent the rest of the day on the sand without seeing it rise again.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 02_GU_TD42 View Post
    Cheers 4bye4,
    Going off the factory water temp gauge it was about 3/4 for about 2-3 minutes, so I let it cool down at idle and I spent the rest of the day on the sand without seeing it rise again.
    Check the little gauze filter on the inlet fuel line into the injector pump. Check all you hoses and clamps too for cracks and lose clamps. Change the fuel filter as already mentioned. 3/4 on your factory gauge is around 110c, so it’s hot but for only a few minutes would be nothing to worry about, last summer mine ran 110c for a good 5 hours towing a camper through the Snowy Mountains in 42c heat. So a few minutes is nothing.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Bigcol (17th January 2019)

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    strewth can they handle that sort of temp over prolonged periods? I was towing my tinny up a range during the last heatwave and it got to 100c so I pulled over until it dropped into the 90's

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,260 Times in 6,426 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by cairns gu View Post
    strewth can they handle that sort of temp over prolonged periods? I was towing my tinny up a range during the last heatwave and it got to 100c so I pulled over until it dropped into the 90's
    Yeah mate it’s fine. I will admit those temps I was running and for that period had me a little concerned at the time but it got me through.
    If you see those temps, but you know on the other side of the hill you’ll get relief, just take it easy and don’t push it too hard.