Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: GU 42TDi 12mm pump upgrade

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Hi mate, yeah i bought a Pipe and Joiner package off ebay including the good clamps. I still needed a few extras but it saved me a packet..

i cut most of teh pipes to suit my specific needs and cut most of the rolled edges off as they just didnt work. I made a point of keeping everything clean and no WD40 or other contaminants. some of the dry joints where hard to get on but got everything sorted.
    Very similar to the kit I got. The clamps look good and like you I was carefull to keep all the joins free of lube.. as painful as that was in some parts. I've been doing them up with the impact drive too, hours worth of of bolting and unbolting there otherwise.. well I might leave them be with that advice then. Just make sure they're all nice and tight.

Braved the Adelaide heat today to get the power steering cooler mounted. Might not be ideal but I'm pretty happy with it's new spot.

20190124_125013.jpg
    20190124_124953.jpg

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the new airbox in tonight...

Snapchat-2082134628.jpg

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MB (26th January 2019), PeeBee (29th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got a few bits and bobs in the mail today..

20190129_172520.jpg

And managed to find 5 minutes to get the turbo bolted up..

Snapchat-1166811860.jpg

Getting pretty excited to get it all together now. On a side note I have a slightly used denco/borgwarner turbo kit up for grabs if anyone was interested? Not as nice as the new unit but still feels solid and would be a nice cheap upgrade for someone.

20190129_182443.jpg

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (29th January 2019), Rossco (30th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Got the turbo side of things pretty well finished tonight and started pulling off all the bits to get to the fuel pump.

I got the gear off with my state of the art gear puller..
    20190130_190531.jpg

And now I'm about at the point where I unbolt the pump itself but I have a question before I do.

I assume it's just me but I'm having some issues finding my way around the electronic service manual.. what I was wondering is if anyone knows about how to orient the pump when you put it back on/replace it? I noticed it has slotted holes for fine adjustment of the timing, is this something I can get close or is this for the guys with the dyno to sort out? I have all the timing marks at tdc ready to go back together I just don't know how to set the pump body.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So I finally got it all bolted together this arvo and took it for a quick test drive. Everything seems okay but I think the timing is still way out and I can't seem to get it even close to where it needs to be. Rattles like a mfkr under acceleration. runs sweet at idle though. Time to borrow a trailer and get it to someone who actually knows what they're doing to finish off I think.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    So I finally got it all bolted together this arvo and took it for a quick test drive. Everything seems okay but I think the timing is still way out and I can't seem to get it even close to where it needs to be. Rattles like a mfkr under acceleration. runs sweet at idle though. Time to borrow a trailer and get it to someone who actually knows what they're doing to finish off I think.
    Awesome. Did you use a timing tool to set the timing?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Awesome. Did you use a timing tool to set the timing?
    Nah, I just left it set at where the old pump was. I tried a couple mm each way off the old mark but didn't seem to make much of a difference and I was really just prodding around in the dark. I can't really justify buying the tool when I can probably pay less just to get the mechanic to dial it in as it goes on the dyno.. plus I have access to a car trailer thankfully.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to 0-TJ-0 For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (2nd February 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Help with clutch choice please..

Got it all up and running but as expected I need a heavier clutch. I can't seem to get a straight answer to make a decision. At the moment I'm looking at a terrain tamer fortified (tttk7235f) do I need to go this heavy? They say they're good for nearly 800nm, the next step down is thier HP model at 565nm.

The pump I fitted is sold as a 250hp unit but I expect to fall a bit short of that. I assume that I'm looking for something that can handle the 600nmish tourqe range.

I'd prefer the lightest viable pedal feel to keep the misso happy when she needs to get in and drive it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Settled on a Terrain Tamer HP clutch.. I was tossing up between that and the Exedy Safari Tuff clutch. Never realised they were the same thing until I opened the box

Yep. Looks like a clutch.
    1550026477698949533240.jpg

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 0-TJ-0 View Post
    Settled on a Terrain Tamer HP clutch.. I was tossing up between that and the Exedy Safari Tuff clutch. Never realised they were the same thing until I opened the box

Yep. Looks like a clutch.
    1550026477698949533240.jpg
    TT/safari will be fine for your power mate and still ok for the mrs no problem at all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

0-TJ-0 (13th February 2019)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast