User Tag List

Thread: Old Eyre Hwy

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Old Eyre Hwy

Anybody travelled the old Eyre Highway recently? Completely unmaintained, so what's it like?
    I am doing a quick trip Brisbane to Kalgoorlie in a couple of weeks and plan on taking longer on the way back using a bit of dirt and and taking the roads less travelled. I will be on my own, and although I can fend for myself out there, I don't want to take too many risks.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (26th April 2022), MB (25th April 2022)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G’day BB Mate, there’s a possibility that Rossco & or Plasnart may know track conditions, albeit Pre-Covid

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Brissieboy (27th April 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,959 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Gday Brissie Boy, you'll be fine mate. It's a major track and probably worst you'll get is bad corrugations. Obviously wet weather could be an issue but nothing too perilous.

Speed and tyre pressures. Low to moderate (speed) and low to moderate (tyre pressures). All important!

It's been maybe 12 years though since I drove it so my knowledge of current conditions is non existent mate.

Give it a crack you'll be right.

And check Hema Outback Maps, or at very least Google Old Eyre Highway for some things to see along the way. Some good shit out there.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Brissieboy (27th April 2022), MB (26th April 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Gday Brissie Boy, you'll be fine mate. It's a major track and probably worst you'll get is bad corrugations. Obviously wet weather could be an issue but nothing too perilous.

Speed and tyre pressures. Low to moderate (speed) and low to moderate (tyre pressures). All important!

It's been maybe 12 years though since I drove it so my knowledge of current conditions is non existent mate.

Give it a crack you'll be right.

And check Hema Outback Maps, or at very least Google Old Eyre Highway for some things to see along the way. Some good shit out there.
    Thanks Plasnart. I am not a novice and I know all the logical stuff, have the gear, I might need, have done all the google things, and even watched a couple of youtube vids as well - I was just looking for relatively recent conditions as all say that it is totally unmaintained. Actually hope it is not too easy!
    Weather is causing a little grief at the moment as there are quite a few closures through SA including Birdsville Track.
    Capture.JPG
    I was thinking about coming home that way for a bit of fun. Other options included the Darling River run but that is also closed.
    Hopefully things will open up in the next couple of weeks. I would hate to have to come back on nothing but black stuff.

9. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Brissieboy For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (28th April 2022), MB (27th April 2022), Plasnart (27th April 2022)