Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

TD42 running hot when towing

Gday patrolers Muk here,
    Can anyone help with any information regarding my 4.2 td overheating issue only when towing my 3t caravan on a 30° day. Ive put biggest natrad radiator i could fit in, removed spotlights from front of grill, installed large topmount intercooler wich helped alot with exhaust gas temps(dropped about 100°c) installed 3" mandrel bent exhaust pipe, replaced air filter housing with custom built aluminium unit. Im running on 33" tyres, 5speed manual ,roof rack etc etc about 3080kg with full longrange tanks and full fridge. Ive heard that a high flow thermostat and maybe a high flow water pump might solve my problems. Can anyone please help with any advice as i love my patrol and cant find anything i like to replace it. There must be some way of sorting this issue.
    Cheers Mark

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    does your engine clutch fan work properly , ie; it should have some resistance and will only spin about half a revolution when cold . is the plastic air dam underneath the car in tact , this is a crucial part that helps create a low pressure area in the engine bay . the rubber strips that go from the body to the chassis in the front wheel wells also help this purpose . do you have a suspension lift as this can also affect the way the air dam works .

Thanks
    Thanked 1,059 Times in 614 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's a subject that's been done to death across the different forums. What actual temps are you seeing?
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Temp exceeding 100°c
    Air conditioning cutting out aswell.
    It does have 50mm lift but all under guard rubbers are in place etc.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    New nissan fan clutch fitted, blades all in good condition.
    All under guard rubbers good.
    Plastic air dam underneath good condition.
    Some of foam strips between aircon condenser and new large radiator missing.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,289 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Has it always done this? If not, there might be something you have done to make this change?

What Injector pump do you have? Stock, 11mm or 12mm. Do you know what the timing is set at on the IP? What turbo? What injectors? How old are they? What crack pressures? Has you taken the Patrol to a decent dyno tuner at all? There is so many variables with this issues I haven't even scratched the surface on it. I've been through it all and mine still runs hot. Got to 110c and 115c whilst towing and up hills, along the flat it could be around 80-95c. I just drive it now and accept thats how its going to be and drive to the conditions.

As long as I have made sure every component is working, there nothing more I can do.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

jff45 (17th May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I’ve had mine at 115C towing up hill. I only back off if EGTs start to creep past 450C.
    I’ve towed our caravan into a head wind running at 100-105 most of the day. Only consequence was that the engine was much smoother afterwards.
    Not towing I rarely get as high as 85C.
    John

10. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

mudski (17th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The temp on mine, towing, with an all up weight of around 5 tonne has never exceeded 105deg.C & that was working really hard on a hot day going up to Barrington Tops. For the past three years we've been in the Top End & in normal use rarely see the temp rise above 91 or 92, often closer to 80. My theory is that it relates to use of the right foot & that whilst TD42's can be be driven fast, their forte is burbling across the rough stuff at low revs with plenty of torque, & that if one accepts they are an old design & doesn't try to drive them like a modern car or a muscle car they wont overheat if well maintained, & kept reasonably close to stock. If it doesn't overheat when not towing I'd guess that pulling the van slower may be the answer, & if not the answer that you want, that perhaps you have chosen the wrong vehicle to pull a 3 tonne van.

No doubt one day mine will overheat & I'll have to eat my words, but so far so good - 2006 model stock except for 3" exhaust & a mild dyno (13psi) for towing. Not unusual to see us hurtling along the road at 80-85 kph.

Others may have different thoughts, just saying what works for me.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Hodge (18th May 2021), MB (21st May 2021), Plasnart (18th May 2021)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,289 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muk View Post
    Temp exceeding 100°c
    Air conditioning cutting out aswell.
    It does have 50mm lift but all under guard rubbers are in place etc.
    Two reasons for the a/c cutting out. 1. She's low on gas. 2. The condensor is overheating. Make sure the condensor fins are totally clean.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I think the factory TD42s have a cutout temp sensor in the rad specifically designed to cut off the compressor above a certain temp.
    John

15. The Following User Says Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

MB (21st May 2021)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast