OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Under bonnet Deep Cycle battery??

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Been using a Century N70T Deep Cycle Flooded (100 ah) for years without any problems.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to VK2FMIA For This Useful Post:

10G (28th February 2021), MB (27th February 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,320 Times in 754 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks everyone for the info.

I'm looking for something that can live under the bonnet and give me at least 100Ah. I had 2 new Supercharge batteries, one dropped a cell about 2 weeks after we got back from our bone jarring Surveyor Generals Corner trip.

I have room for a battery in the cabin, but I'm trying to remove the single point of failure of having a single starter battery. If I can find something that will live under the bonnet on the passenger's side, it'd be a simple job of swapping batteries around should the crank battery die.

I've gone off Supercharge, I've never had battery issues, but after mine died I've read several other people who have had exactly the same problem.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What about the Century Overlander 4x4 wet cell. It has 735 CCAs, 100Ah and fits in the spot it needs to fit. 36 month warranty.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    Thanks everyone for the info.

I'm looking for something that can live under the bonnet and give me at least 100Ah. I had 2 new Supercharge batteries, one dropped a cell about 2 weeks after we got back from our bone jarring Surveyor Generals Corner trip.

I have room for a battery in the cabin, but I'm trying to remove the single point of failure of having a single starter battery. If I can find something that will live under the bonnet on the passenger's side, it'd be a simple job of swapping batteries around should the crank battery die.

I've gone off Supercharge, I've never had battery issues, but after mine died I've read several other people who have had exactly the same problem.
    Yeah I had thr Optima for 7 years under the bonnet without fault. The 2 batteries died 2 months apart which is also a great result IMO.

I went to AGMs for thr 120 AH and thought that's the go!! The first set lasted 4 months or so then the replacement set about a month. As stated above I went back to Optimas.

The Optimas have never let me down and I have never run out of AH either. The recharge rate is far superior to normal batteries so if you need to run the car an hour or so to recharge then that's OK. Also they will take charge from solar that much easier too.

To be honest I can't fault them. And, to read the Yeti runs Optima as his personal choice with access to Anything is probably the biggest Tick you need.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

10G (1st March 2021), Yeti's Beast (28th February 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Under bonnet Deep Cycle battery??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Last edited by Yeti's Beast; 28th February 2021 at 09:09 PM.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yep, I've only ever heard good things about Optimas over many many years.

Hey @Yeti's Beast just wondering what the felling is with Century's though. Are they still any good??? The Century Overlander 4x4 has all the right stuff on paper & half the price (maybe not as good as the Optima??) of the Optima.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hey @Yeti's Beast just wondering what the felling is with Century's though. Are they still any good??? The Century Overlander 4x4 has all the right stuff on paper & half the price (maybe not as good as the Optima??) of the Optima.
    Yep, thats what Truckus runs for both cranking, and accessories battery. He has the secondary/accessories battery in an under-body box (sits inboard of rock sliders under rear LHS seats) and feed from a redarc isolator that is the standard set up Brunswick Diesels uses in their conversions. (this is the set up for solid voltage alternators, smart alts in later vehicles need a different isolator charging arrangement.)

A ball ache to access (you got to remove the carrier tray that is under-slung for battery removal, so glad we got a battery that requires minimal maintenance. This battery supplies all my accessories, like lights, compressor, winch, UHF, fridge power and 12 V outlet, etc, and I will be looking at an alternate set up (as in relocating that battery in the future once I finished building the full 12 V distribution system and they will have additional twin deep cycle 100 AMP hour minimum cycles set up for the 12 V and manager 30 A system with the sine wave inverter (1000W)..but thats still a work in progress

This is a handy link for the vehicle accessories battery https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...-suv-batteries so figure how much room you have and what load you need to select the right one. Trukus uses these ones https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/.../n70zzxhd/info

and the ones I am looking at for the camping appliances 12 V and inverter set up will be Deep Cycle AGM Range https://www.centurybatteries.com.au/...12-105xda/info

Anyhow, probably too much info, but I tried to keep it basic, in case you then want to tie in a 12 V system later, that can also alt charge from driving, mains charge, and solar charge.
    2005 Y61 GU rebuilt 2020. 6.5 L turbo inter-cooled Diesel, SupENG Superflex 4 Inch Lift Kit 2,0 Remote res Fox shocks, offset trunions, 315/75/16 Maxxis Razr, 16 x 8 steel rims, SupENG drop box, Stedi Spots & bars, 12000 lbs winch,rear locking bars with duel tire carriers, 4” XtremeENG S/S snorkel, rock sliders, SME UHF, ARB Hard mount Air compressor, ARB fwd & rear air lockers,Rhino roof racks, Duel battery set up, 12 V dist swbd ,

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Truckus For This Useful Post:

10G (1st March 2021)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the info Truckus, much appreciated.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I’ve found that most batteries in a price bracket are similar in quality, warranty etc
    Once you move up in cost the quality also usually ( note usually ) improves.
    Keep in mind that Exide, Marshall, Supercharge and Lion batteries are all owned by the same company these days.
    Century is the only Australian automotive battery made here in Brisbane, but not all sizes. Check the batteries for country of origin.
    Dekka is another good under bonnet AGM deep cycle battery.

https://www.outbackmarine.com.au/ene...agm-batteries/

Price wise they are up with the Optima

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

10G (2nd March 2021)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)