Thread: Tools you have bought/want to buy feedback thread

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Tools you have bought/want to buy feedback thread

FWIW Cuppa Mate I used to always carry onboard a 1,000Nm Milwaukee 1/2” drive rattle and after wrist surgery had to downgrade to a 600Nm which felt like half the weight in reality and still getting the trackside job done
    Brands….whatever…..1,000Nm nut busting home/work power is too much for us Young Blokes out and about with GVM’s to also consider every added bonus weight reduction necessary too

EDIT: Milwaukee’s older 1,000Nm nut buster was heaps heavier than that looking great sounding tool to your kit Cuppa Mate Apologies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 15th October 2021 at 07:18 PM.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th October 2021), Rossco (15th October 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 5,350 Times in 3,168 Posts
    Mentioned
    80 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    Hmmmmm cheating on the Stihl brand... Not sure how I feel about this.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk
    Not impressed with some of the design features of my new Stihl. I found out, the hard way, not to overreach the kick back lever. You badly burn of all your fingertips on the exhaust. Yeoww!!
    My advice is: not to follow my advice.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to mudnut For This Useful Post:

MB (15th October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Toying with the idea of a cordless rattle gun again, having seen the Makita I think would suit me for $389. It would be a 'travelling tool' with the aim of simplifying a few things & saving me a bit of pain & grief. Athritis is becoming a thing for me, & I find exertion can often be followed by pain for several days if I'm not careful. Disappointingly I don't think an electric rattle gun is suitable for doing up wheel nuts, but could I think be very handy for undoing a variety of fasterners. Just a few days ago I was lent an Hitach one to undo the front diff plug - so easy!

Anyway Makita will be the brand as that's what I have batteries for. I'm wondering if anyone else has a Makita DTW700Z 'mid torque' model & if so would you recommend it as a general 'all rounder'? It is physically smaller & lighter than the Hitachi (HiKoki) one I used, but more powerful & with a variety of settings. It's weight is probably much the same as the long length of pipe I carry for leverage on stubborn nuts, & more flexible to boot.

https://www.makita.com.au/building-c...-impact-wrench
    G'day Cuppa. I've got the DTW1002 so cant answer your question from experience, but seriously I'd think 700Nm would be ample for general duties. One thing I would personally be discerning about is buying a Japanese made one, not Chinese. When I bought my 1000Nm model, the Bunnings units were made in PRC but Total Tools sold the Japanese-made ones so I bought there.

PS, you looking after my winch controller cap?
    Last edited by Plasnart; 15th October 2021 at 08:27 PM.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

MB (15th October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,246 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    469 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to please McEducate myself too Folks, this new “Nut-Busting” rating is some sort of higher RPM startup or something?
    Old rattles were rated true available Nm without technology oomphs maybes?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post

PS, you looking after my winch controller cap?
    Fondle it regularly, just as though it were a breadmaker mate.

Thanks, for the advice on country of origin. If I buy, it will be online, so possibly hard to check. Maybe I could get someone here to check Total Tools for me, & then buy online from them if they still have the Japanese made ones.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (15th October 2021), Plasnart (15th October 2021), Rossco (16th October 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Fondle it regularly, just as though it were a breadmaker mate.

Thanks, for the advice on country of origin. If I buy, it will be online, so possibly hard to check. Maybe I could get someone here to check Total Tools for me, & then buy online from them if they still have the Japanese made ones.
    Haha clown.

I can have a look at Total Tools tomorrow for you mate.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (15th October 2021), MB (15th October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Haha clown.

I can have a look at Total Tools tomorrow for you mate.
    Cheers Plassy, that'd be good. I note the $399 ebay one has 3 years warranty on it, whereas Total Tools says it has 5 years for $6 more.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

14. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (15th October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,236 Times in 474 Posts
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cuppa, I have a 1/4" Craftsman impact that other then wheel nuts and panhard bar nuts, has helped me a lot on my Patrol disassembly. I have to use an 1/4 to 1/2 adapter to be able to use my sockets. A friend has a 1/2" Dewalt impact gun that can pretty much break any stud he wants it he lets it go. I am prone to believe that any good brand impact made for 1/2 will have enough torque to wheel nuts.

On a side note, my "hobby" 1/4 impact is still useful even for wheel nuts and panhard nuts... I just break them with a breaker bar and let the toy impact gun do spinning for me...
    1997 Blue Nissan Patrol Y60 blacktop TD42 - Honey Badger (build thread)
    2006 White Nissan Patrol Y61 TB45 - G-Unicorn (build thread)
    1997 Red Suzuki Samurai Canvas Top SJ413 - Tatui
    2005 White Toyota Landcruiser FZJ105 - Stormtrooper

16. The Following User Says Thank You to BrazilianY60 For This Useful Post:

MB (17th October 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,891 Times in 3,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    50 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Hey Cuppa, I just went through researching impact wrenches to add to my collection.
    Looked at high/medium and standard torque ones.
    I ended up with a standard 340nm purely for its size and weigh.
    Unless you are working in heavy machinery or construction anything more IMO is an overkill.
    To give you an idea, I stripped my sons Hilux and put it back together with this little thing. Pretty much every bolt. And never even tried it on a high setting
    I have a Milwaukee kit so went with them but Makita would have something similar.

This thing fits in the palm of my hand.

I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit

WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maxhead For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (16th October 2021), MB (17th October 2021), mudnut (17th October 2021), pearcey (16th October 2021), PeeBee (16th October 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Cheers Plassy, that'd be good. I note the $399 ebay one has 3 years warranty on it, whereas Total Tools says it has 5 years for $6 more.
    Hey Cuppa, only had Choinese-made DTW700Z at Total Tools and Bunnings. Might not be a choice there for you. The 1000Nm unit is still marked as made in Japan, or as the Total Tools guy told me, "made in Japan". He said every crate of Makita comes in from Choina.

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (16th October 2021)

Page 94 of 104 FirstFirst ... 44849293949596 ... LastLast