Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Gear Stick not shifting

G'day fellas,
    I had a flat tyre tonight which going about 90km/hr on my back right wheel. Did some solid damage to the stock bar bumper.
    I changed over the tyre but now my gear stick won't work as per usual and I've had to be using the little red overide button to shift out of park.
    It's a 2011 GU 3.0TD auto.
    Any help is much appreciated.
    Cheers.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Wasn't a cooper tyre was it ? It should only be an electrical gremlin somewhere and the trannie is no where near the rear wheels but I suppose a bit of tyre could have flicked up and done a bit of mischief .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    Wasn't a cooper tyre was it ? It should only be an electrical gremlin somewhere and the trannie is no where near the rear wheels but I suppose a bit of tyre could have flicked up and done a bit of mischief .
    How did you know it was a Cooper? Is this a common problem with those tyres?
    Damn that's no good I'll have to get under and figure out what it is then.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by yiannisk View Post
    How did you know it was a Cooper? Is this a common problem with those tyres?
    Damn that's no good I'll have to get under and figure out what it is then.
    Not sure if it's still the case but coopers have the lowest speed rating of just about any brand and despite the claims of no punctures that's just crap , it's hard to believe the Mickey "Tees" are made in the same factory .

If you can crawl under the rig and check the connections etc around the box and see if anything is bent or pulled out .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your tyre delaminated which sounds like it did they have had a bad reputation in the past and been sued in America because of it .
    https://www.citizen.org/article/coop...ctions-1182002

From what I can tell faulty tyres delaminate at speed causing panel damage and or accidents but you would think their manufacturing process and quality control would have improved, I don't buy this brand purely because of this problem they had in America.
    It should also be noted that the tyres in question did not like the hotter Climates or lower air pressure .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If your tyre delaminated which sounds like it did they have had a bad reputation in the past and been sued in America because of it .
    https://www.citizen.org/article/coop...ctions-1182002

From what I can tell faulty tyres delaminate at speed causing panel damage and or accidents but you would think their manufacturing process and quality control would have improved, I don't buy this brand purely because of this problem they had in America.
    It should also be noted that the tyres in question did not like the hotter Climates or lower air pressure .
    Cheers mate that's good to know I have rubbish tyres haha I think these are relatively old tyres too since the bloke I bought the car off didn't drive it around that much. I'll definitely be replacing them soon enough. The rubber from the tyre swinging around smashed my rear bumper along with all my drivers side lights and a lot of the plastic and thinner metal around the tyre arch. Wasn't a great day to say the least.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it did de- laminate ouch what a mess .

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    So it did de- laminate ouch what a mess .
    Yeah, luckily insurance is taking care of it all. Dropped it off today and hopefully it's done some time next week.