Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: TD42 T Gets real hot but only when towing

Thanks
    Thanked 12,951 Times in 6,827 Posts
    Mentioned
    45 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G'day Velty welcome aboard mate. Excellent mod mate well done! Jump over to the intros mate so the other members can say g'day and let us in on any other trade secrets ay

IF YA DONT GET STUCK YA AINT TRYIN HARD ENOUGH........OR YA TOOK THE CHICKEN TRACK

WARNING: TOWBALLS USED WITH SNATCHSTRAPS DO KILL!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Gday people,

I kinda agreed with Velty.

I cracked my old motor pre combustion chamber, all of them and now I had this turboed stock motor and ip for about a year or so with 15psi boost. I had no issues with overheating since with this motor no matter how hard I trashed it but not on a long pull up a steep grade and hills. I found that ect are very related to egt at least in my case. On a heavy load on that hill my egt will only max out to 680c pre turbo but with that egt my ect will be around 110c. Bringing down the egt to 540c will bring down the ect to 100c. All these while I am ok with it. But I wanted a worry free driving up that hill, without need to keep an eye on the gauges.

Last week I started playing around with the ip max load screw. Instead of tweaking it up I had it down to about a quater turn from the stock setting. As expected less power but so did the egt and ect. Speeding up wot at that same hill my egt now will only max out to 480c and ect at 82c. How bad was the power lost..well it's an auto. 1st & 2nd gear will pull up close to 4000rpm no problem just slower. 2nd gear will pull up to 4000rpm and speed is about 90kmh. Continuing wot on 3rd gear will be a struggle to get it up pass the 3000rpm even on a flat road.. Maybe a good i/cooler set up will let me stayed with the stock ip setting.

By the way, she's a pretty heavy trol with diy drawer slider bars winch etc, 315/75 with 4.6 diff. F/consumption was about 20l/100km. I cannot tell if she had over fuelling or what with the stock ip setting. There was no black smoke only a slight puff on a hard pull.

I will stick around with this setting for a while a see how she goes on f/c and off road with that. If really needed, I will slap in a fmic and that head drilling mod.

Ade

btw, both motors are TD42 silvertop
    Last edited by Ade; 2nd February 2014 at 06:24 PM.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Theres another point, few weeks ago I got my hands working on my brother's trol wacking in a turbo to his silvertop. With his stock ip and same turbo spec as in mine, his trol power were so much less than mine with the stock ip. I had to turn his max load screw up to half a turn just to get the power as in mine with quater less turn on the max load screw. His trol were struggling to pass the 3000rpm on a 4th gear. He had no overheating issue with this set up so we will stick with it atm.

So there you go..two so thought stock ip with different out come.

Ade

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Has anyone tried one of the cooling system cleaning additives with this problem? Supposedly clean the rust and gunk out of the radiator and motor. I have done the following and still have an overheating issue when towing:
    Thermostat replaced, radiator cleaned and tested (twice), water pump replaced, fuel mix checked and adjusted by the guys who wound it up (also have a larger exhaust fitted by them), viscous fan hub and fan blades replaced, Silica added to the viscous fan hub. Then replaced the thermostat and radiator cap again with Nissan parts just to be sure (76.5 degree thermostat) and added a water temp gauge to check the temp rather than relying on the cluster gauges.

Running out of options and looking for any words of wisdom!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi. Fuel Mix,??? Leave it alone standard fuel pump. IT WILL NOT OVER HEAT. wazza.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MJP74 View Post
    Has anyone tried one of the cooling system cleaning additives with this problem? Supposedly clean the rust and gunk out of the radiator and motor. I have done the following and still have an overheating issue when towing:
    Thermostat replaced, radiator cleaned and tested (twice), water pump replaced, fuel mix checked and adjusted by the guys who wound it up (also have a larger exhaust fitted by them), viscous fan hub and fan blades replaced, Silica added to the viscous fan hub. Then replaced the thermostat and radiator cap again with Nissan parts just to be sure (76.5 degree thermostat) and added a water temp gauge to check the temp rather than relying on the cluster gauges.

Running out of options and looking for any words of wisdom!
    You should install an Exhaust Temp Gauge (pyro) and a manual Boost controller and then have it dyno tuned professionally. You should avoid towing in 5th and avoid towing at 2000rpm. Better to change down and rev at 2500rpm. The TD hates 2000rpm.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The only thing you have not replaced is the radiator. If some of the internal cores are blocked no matter what you flush it with won't unblock it. If you are really keen remove one tank off the radiator. With a lawnmower starter spring and garden hose carefully clean all tubes you be surprised at how much crap comes out.

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,110 Times in 3,143 Posts
    Mentioned
    175 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Better to change down and rev at 2500rpm. The TD hates 2000rpm.
    Hey Darren mate. Are you saying this only when towing or in general? I cruise at 100km/h and it sits on 2000rpm, or just over in 5th. At that speed/rpm it has enough guts to cruise. But if i need more power to over take or something, I'd have to gear down to 4th. It just feels like its labouring.

In 4th, its 2400rpm or there abouts. It just seems like its revving too much if im in 4th crusing at 100.
    2005 TD42TI

Thanks
    Thanked 20,751 Times in 8,576 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Hey Darren mate. Are you saying this only when towing or in general? I cruise at 100km/h and it sits on 2000rpm, or just over in 5th. At that speed/rpm it has enough guts to cruise. But if i need more power to over take or something, I'd have to gear down to 4th. It just feels like its labouring.

In 4th, its 2400rpm or there abouts. It just seems like its revving too much if im in 4th crusing at 100.
    I would say only when towing mate for the load on the transmission at low rev's.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (17th January 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,751 Times in 8,576 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Having saying this I try not to cruise or let the rpm go below 2000 regardless unless down hill of course.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

13. The Following User Says Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (17th January 2018)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast