Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Newby

G'day,

I'm obviously new to the forum. The wife and I have been thinking about getting a 4x4 and I was looking at Hilux vs Patrol and have decided to go with a Patrol. I am just starting to look at a few vehicles and after reading quite a few threads on here in regards to 4.2 litre vs 3.0 litre I figured it was worthwhile registering for the forum. From what I have read I think that I will be looking for a GU TD42 probably from around 2003 or so (hopefully with under 250k on the clock) and I am keen to find out a bit more about what modifications might be worth considering (from what I have just read a 3" exhaust, 3" dump pipe, and a suitable tune might be a good starting point??).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about Patrols and hopefully to soon joining the owners club.

Cheers,

Gags

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome to the forum mate

the TD42 stopped being sold in Australia 2006 - just so you know

the TD42 is a great motor for towing, but not speeding (unless you really want to spend big big dollars) they are not Auto's either, there was some TD42 autos around 1996-97, in the GQ, and the imported GQ Safari came with an auto as well

the ZD30 and the CRD are quite "zippy" with 116Kw V's the TD42's 106Kw

you are correct, a 3" exhaust, will give you better rev's and a little economy
    while with an EGT & Boost gauge you can see the important stuff.... how hard your working the motor while driving / towing
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 20,751 Times in 8,576 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate and feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate , good choice you're making and 94 was the year Nissan brought a few td4.2 autos in .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    11 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    sorry @GQtdauto, I thought it was later......
    Tidy Whitey - 99 GU TD42Ti - Diesel Gas, (GUIV Turbo & Intercooler 8Lb boost), 33" Micky T's Baja MTZ's, Dual Batt's, Cargo Barrier, rear draws, HID Super Oscars, winch, Grinch & witch attached and more goodies to come

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gags View Post
    G'day,

I'm obviously new to the forum. The wife and I have been thinking about getting a 4x4 and I was looking at Hilux vs Patrol and have decided to go with a Patrol. I am just starting to look at a few vehicles and after reading quite a few threads on here in regards to 4.2 litre vs 3.0 litre I figured it was worthwhile registering for the forum. From what I have read I think that I will be looking for a GU TD42 probably from around 2003 or so (hopefully with under 250k on the clock) and I am keen to find out a bit more about what modifications might be worth considering (from what I have just read a 3" exhaust, 3" dump pipe, and a suitable tune might be a good starting point??).

Anyway, I'm looking forward to learning a bit more about Patrols and hopefully to soon joining the owners club.

Cheers,

Gags
    Good choice! When I was in the same boat as yourself I chose a Patrol over a Hilux (or similar) based on just one thing. I wanted a car which would stand up to long term outback touring. When we were in Broome & wanting to hire a 4wd to go up the Dampier Peninsular all the hire companies had a variety of 4wd's but specified that only their Patrols & Landcruisers were allowed on the heavily corrugated road up the guts of the Peninsular. Folk hiring cars often drive them with less care than if it were their own, speeding 4wd's up & down that road are common to see. Reason for the restrictions on which hire cars were allowed by the companies was an economic one. The heavier/stronger build of the Patrols & Landcruisers meant they last longer in those conditions. Check out the dimensions of a Patrol chassis vs a Hilux chassis.

Big Col is right about the difference between 4.2's & 3.0's. The 4.2 is no speed machine, & when towing even less so, but I love it's 'relaxed gait' for touring. 3" exhaust + dyno makes the car into what it should have been off the showroom floor. If you can resist the temptation to go for the higher boost figures(above 15psi) then this is the most economic improvement you can make. I asked my tuner to 'tune it for towing" - ended up with max boost of 13.2psi, retaining everything else 'factory' & am very happy with that. EGT gauge is essential though. Fitting the exhaust alone freed up some 'go', but it came with rapidly increasing EGT's making the extra 'go' unuseable. The tuner changed that when he waved his magic wand at it! Beware, just like owning an espresso machine doesn't make the owner a barista, owning a dyno doesn't make the owner a 'tuner'. Seek recommendations for your area

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,237 Times in 994 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome to the forum mate
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    G'day mate and welcome to the forum.
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    Good choice! When I was in the same boat as yourself I chose a Patrol over a Hilux (or similar) based on just one thing. I wanted a car which would stand up to long term outback touring. When we were in Broome & wanting to hire a 4wd to go up the Dampier Peninsular all the hire companies had a variety of 4wd's but specified that only their Patrols & Landcruisers were allowed on the heavily corrugated road up the guts of the Peninsular. Folk hiring cars often drive them with less care than if it were their own, speeding 4wd's up & down that road are common to see. Reason for the restrictions on which hire cars were allowed by the companies was an economic one. The heavier/stronger build of the Patrols & Landcruisers meant they last longer in those conditions. Check out the dimensions of a Patrol chassis vs a Hilux chassis.

Big Col is right about the difference between 4.2's & 3.0's. The 4.2 is no speed machine, & when towing even less so, but I love it's 'relaxed gait' for touring. 3" exhaust + dyno makes the car into what it should have been off the showroom floor. If you can resist the temptation to go for the higher boost figures(above 15psi) then this is the most economic improvement you can make. I asked my tuner to 'tune it for towing" - ended up with max boost of 13.2psi, retaining everything else 'factory' & am very happy with that. EGT gauge is essential though. Fitting the exhaust alone freed up some 'go', but it came with rapidly increasing EGT's making the extra 'go' unuseable. The tuner changed that when he waved his magic wand at it! Beware, just like owning an espresso machine doesn't make the owner a barista, owning a dyno doesn't make the owner a 'tuner'. Seek recommendations for your area
    Thanks to all - glad to be here!! I actually just re-read my original post and realised that I wrote "Hilux vs Patrol" when I meant to say "Landcruiser vs Patrol" (probably a more likely comparison!!).

Cuppa - from what I have read in the forum so far and from what you said in your response it sounds like exhaust gas temperature can be a bit of an issue if you go with the bigger dump pipe and exhaust. Obviously the gauge tells you when it's getting hot - I assume that the remedy for this is to ease off the accelerator until it comes back down to an acceptable temperature? Out of interest, how often does your EGT get hot enough that you need to back off a bit?

Cheers again for the responses.

Gags

Thanks
    Thanked 7,424 Times in 3,003 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Gags View Post
    Thanks to all - glad to be here!! I actually just re-read my original post and realised that I wrote "Hilux vs Patrol" when I meant to say "Landcruiser vs Patrol" (probably a more likely comparison!!).

Cuppa - from what I have read in the forum so far and from what you said in your response it sounds like exhaust gas temperature can be a bit of an issue if you go with the bigger dump pipe and exhaust. Obviously the gauge tells you when it's getting hot - I assume that the remedy for this is to ease off the accelerator until it comes back down to an acceptable temperature? Out of interest, how often does your EGT get hot enough that you need to back off a bit?

Cheers again for the responses.

Gags
    Hi BG,
    Getting the dyno done fixes the issue. Prior to getting the dyno on mine after the pipe was fitted EGT's would shoot up rapidly at the mere sight of a hill, easily reaching 600 deg.C in the blink of an eye. Now I wuld have to be trying pretty hard to get the EGT up to 500 deg.c & most of the time it is between 250 & 400. Importantly the rate of rise is much slower & more controllable. I have the alarm set at a conservative 525 deg.C (which I rarely reach), & it is generally easy enough to just back off a little to drop the temp. Even on some very long steep climbs towing our Tvan I've been able to keep the EGT's at reasonable levels. Prior to the dyno that would have been all but impossible. Fitting the pipe gives you what essentially feels like 'another gear', whereas the dyno lets you use it!

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast