OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 800 of 1049 FirstFirst ... 300700750790798799800801802810850900 ... LastLast
Results 7,991 to 8,000 of 10486

Thread: What did you do to your Patrol today!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,729 Times in 2,680 Posts
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ran and connected the wiring for the tank and filter heaters today. Marked out the position for the bonnet 'gills' to aid under bonnet cooling, and cut the bonnet supports away from the skin - doing the cut-outs tomorrow.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Ran and connected the wiring for the tank and filter heaters today. Marked out the position for the bonnet 'gills' to aid under bonnet cooling, and cut the bonnet supports away from the skin - doing the cut-outs tomorrow.
    Bonnet gills installed, fiddly job, heart in mouth as I cut the holes in the bonnet though! Came up well. The fibreglass gills didn't come with any fixing bolts, so used araldite, with mixed success - can't take a tensile load so had a few break off. Ended up using a black SIKAFLEX product and the bolts in combination to pull it down to the bonnet profile. DSC01832.JPGDSC01833.JPG

I will eventually get them colour matched when i get the rear section of the roof above the rear doors touched up from numerous dropping of stuff and chips formed.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (29th September 2017), Rossco (29th September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 4,041 Times in 1,746 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bonnet gills installed, fiddly job, heart in mouth as I cut the holes in the bonnet though! Came up well. The fibreglass gills didn't come with any fixing bolts, so used araldite, with mixed success - can't take a tensile load so had a few break off. Ended up using a black SIKAFLEX product and the bolts in combination to pull it down to the bonnet profile. DSC01832.JPGDSC01833.JPG

I will eventually get them colour matched when i get the rear section of the roof above the rear doors touched up from numerous dropping of stuff and chips formed.
    It would be interesting to see a string/tissue paper or whatever test to see which way the air flows through the vents
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea, will do that for sure. I am working on the air flowing out from under the bonnet.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,607 Times in 1,472 Posts
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Polished his bullbar.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    KATROL- The 2nd
    GU TD42TGi
    Not as pretty, but a whole lot tougher
    Silent member 1208
    Yes Michael, I bought a JEE.....60.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to katwoman For This Useful Post:

mudnut (29th September 2017), mudski (8th October 2017), PeeBee (29th September 2017), Rossco (29th September 2017), Stropp (29th September 2017), Yeti's Beast (30th September 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Good idea, will do that for sure. I am working on the air flowing out from under the bonnet.
    It will at slow speed definitely. I have installed these on a turbo tb42 and you can see the heat rising through at basically a stand still, but at speed it is high pressure at the base of the windscreen, and forward of the cowl. What I would like to know at say 100kmh which way air is travelling.
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben-e-boy View Post
    It will at slow speed definitely. I have installed these on a turbo tb42 and you can see the heat rising through at basically a stand still, but at speed it is high pressure at the base of the windscreen, and forward of the cowl. What I would like to know at say 100kmh which way air is travelling.
    OK, took a piece of fine string and stuck it to the bonnet. Went for a spin and totally baffled.

0-15K/HR no movement

16- 100K/HR, the string pivots around and faces the direction of travel up to about 95, then it starts to flap from side to side - drivers to passenger side. The string sits flat on the bonnet. the location of the string was varied from centre of bonnet to in front of the new GILLS, and then on the GILLS, exactly the same effect.

At idle, I can feel a gentle airflow coming out of the GILLs, but not enough velocity to move the string.

So I have achieved what i wanted that being a low speed escape path for the heat, but now curious to understand the airflow which is contrary to what i would have thought - I was expecting a flow in the direction of the windscreen - doesn't happen.

Any ideas????

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If the only way airflow could escape from the engine is through the vents it would but I'm sure most of it if not all escapes through the bottom of the engine because it's the easiest path of travel for it .

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    194 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    If the only way airflow could escape from the engine is through the vents it would but I'm sure most of it if not all escapes through the bottom of the engine because it's the easiest path of travel for it .
    Agree???????

13. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (29th September 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OK, took a piece of fine string and stuck it to the bonnet. Went for a spin and totally baffled.

0-15K/HR no movement

16- 100K/HR, the string pivots around and faces the direction of travel up to about 95, then it starts to flap from side to side - drivers to passenger side. The string sits flat on the bonnet. the location of the string was varied from centre of bonnet to in front of the new GILLS, and then on the GILLS, exactly the same effect.

At idle, I can feel a gentle airflow coming out of the GILLs, but not enough velocity to move the string.

So I have achieved what i wanted that being a low speed escape path for the heat, but now curious to understand the airflow which is contrary to what i would have thought - I was expecting a flow in the direction of the windscreen - doesn't happen.

Any ideas????
    I would redo that test using multiple pieces of string all over the bonnet, and around the vents, that way you will get a solid indication of is actually happening over the majority or all of the bonnet.

I really know bugger all on the subject, but the string flapping side to side, to me says turbulence and lots of it?
    96 GQ coil/Cab
    08 G6eT

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Ben-e-boy For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (30th September 2017)

Page 800 of 1049 FirstFirst ... 300700750790798799800801802810850900 ... LastLast