Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good read here in post #10 on cooling system facts

http://www.gmc4x4.com/topic/1809-gmd...mance-toolbox/
    @rainsey
    @MB
    Last edited by Kimbo63; 20th September 2016 at 12:17 AM.
    98 GU ST wagon 6.5TD chev 5 speed manual dual batteries storage drawers big red air compressor 9L tank millweld front and rear bars millweld 4" snorkel 4" air box 3" tough dog suspension lift drop box and hybrid radius arms 12000Lb winch ARB front air locker Alpine MP3 player amp and a good set of speakers GME 2 way The list goes on

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Kimbo63 For This Useful Post:

MB (20th September 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 11,315 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks heaps Kimbo !
    I'll find some time today to absorb this info, awesome mate!!

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by peterc99 View Post
    Hi Rainsey

Re coolant temps - where is your temperature probe located? Maybe remove the probe and test in a container with boiling water and a mercury thermometer the check the readings.

regards
    Peter
    Hmm.. no idea. Have not actually looked since getting the truck back.

I am not questioning the accuracy as I think the average temps are probably spot on, I'm more concerned re the quick rise, but testing it would not hurt.

Thanks for the info

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    G'devening Phil,
    Cheers for the confirmation of reverse scoop concept, as mentioned in our other thread discussion, installers be aware of each state laws on this theory ;-)
    Have personally had previous experience with bonnet top 'gills' on old FJ40 / 350 dizzy's and found they flood the bay when bowing/crossing under deep. Have been contemplating an old school choke cable/flap setup on the reversed SAAS cheapies to ease this issue although I'm diesel since 2005 so rock on :-)
    Exhaust issues you've mentioned above weren't my post :-) Rainsey mate I believe?
    Oil coolers out front, I hear you in regards protection of them, have had a single on an old FJ55 'up' open and out there, did work very well but stayed away from off track scrub antics as always ;-)
    Not sure which model 'charger' you're looking at for the future but please do be aware that the Harrop's 1900&2300's if V belt driven have a longer neck so the bonnet scoop concept needs to move into SLR Torrana territory for the pulley :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    First photos of engine in position - looks a big mess right now, and I am sure the poor mechanic is pulling his hair out with my wiring! Greg at BD reckons the vehicle will be on the road by the weekend and ready to ship mid next week, so now its 'wait for Santa time'. Can't wait to get it back. I will be doing some stripping of radio's and stuff bolted to the cargo barrier, plus swapping the Recaro and Bostrum base over to the original Nissan bucket for the Eng Certificate process. PHILLIP BARLOW OLN552 20160920 (1).jpgPHILLIP BARLOW OLN552 20160920 (2).jpgPHILLIP BARLOW OLN552 20160920 (3) (3).jpg

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

Kimbo63 (20th September 2016), Ropes (29th November 2016)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rainsey

Have been offline for a couple of days. As far as I am aware BD are fitting the same custom radiator to all the Nissans (my engine upgrade was in April 2014). Were you advised to completely drain and change your coolant within the first 5000klm? My engine runs a serpentine belt, not sure what temp the thermostat is - I will have to ask Greg. The original Nissan temp gauge (a bit useless) is connected to the engine block sensor, I fitted a Redarc gauge and temp sensor to the upper return radiator hose. The new exhaust turbine housing on the Garrett turbo seems great - goood acceleration, improved hill climb ability - so far rev range is good, have done just over 600ks with fuel usage averaging 15.2l per 100klm (truck weighs 3400kgs with fuel, driver and passenger).

regards
    Peter

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    G'day Rainsey,
    Those temps were the norm for me, last summer pre GM-ACDelco TS's. Can't advise true tests for another few months sorry.
    Having owned a 3.0L Trol also, not sure if comparing temps is going to help you sleep old mate. Top query for all, I certainly haven't worked it out yet either. Cooling of modified truck/donks has huge questions and each and everysetup appears to be different:

1) Do you have grill/radiator free flow, and or giant spotty's like I had with a wind blocking BBQ plate bulbar also?

2) What temp thermostats did they install and what is your climate now ?

3) Was it fitted out with an oil cooler, where'sabouts and guesstimated size?

4) Is yours a 'V' belt or 'Serpentine' , water pumps differ I have read ?

5) Without scrolling back here, I believe you have a turbo too (lucky bugger) although how close does the 'V8' crossover pipe come to the sump maybe?

6) I'm running out of theory's:-)

Cheers Mb

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Hey, thanks for the info. In regards to your questions:-

1: Yep Im running some large spotties and the winch solenoid box is also on the front as well.

2: Thermostats, not sure but the ambit temp outside when I was getting these spikes was around the 20 degree mark according to my outside gauge. This has been what has spured on this conversation as I am sort of concerned what happens when the outside temp hits the 40's.

3: Yep I have an oil cooler its about 200mm square and located in front of the radiator on the drivers side.

4: Serpentine

5: Yep a turbo and the cross over probably sits around 40mm from the sump.

My thought is the amount of 'stuff' between the outside air and the actual radiator. If you visualize the radiator, in front of this I have an air conditioning condenser that takes up the same surface area, then in front of this an oil cooler and then in front of this what I think might be a cooler for the power steering.

Oh, and one electric fan on the passengers side of all of this.

Then ..... all of the bull bar mounted crap.

Cheers

Rainsey

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by rainsey View Post
    Hey, thanks for the info. In regards to your questions:-

1: Yep Im running some large spotties and the winch solenoid box is also on the front as well.

2: Thermostats, not sure but the ambit temp outside when I was getting these spikes was around the 20 degree mark according to my outside gauge. This has been what has spured on this conversation as I am sort of concerned what happens when the outside temp hits the 40's.

3: Yep I have an oil cooler its about 200mm square and located in front of the radiator on the drivers side.

4: Serpentine

5: Yep a turbo and the cross over probably sits around 40mm from the sump.

My thought is the amount of 'stuff' between the outside air and the actual radiator. If you visualize the radiator, in front of this I have an air conditioning condenser that takes up the same surface area, then in front of this an oil cooler and then in front of this what I think might be a cooler for the power steering.

Oh, and one electric fan on the passengers side of all of this.

Then ..... all of the bull bar mounted crap.

Cheers

Rainsey

That is pretty much exactly my setup (no winch solenoid)... my auto tranny (4L85) coolers are under my tray.

I have a temp watchdog on the engine and the tranny.

FWIW I have wired the factory A/C fan so I can turn it on if the engine temp gets too hot for my liking IE so it is back to the same as factory setup.

You will find that 90% of the Chev conversions do not have the coolant temp switch (that turned the A/C fan on) in the 'new' radiator (bottom drivers side) so if you have a look you should find an 'unused' plug tucked away down there.

NB - the elec A/C fan won't do squat above about 70 to 80 KPH but does make a difference below 50 ish on the gauges
    Last edited by the evil twin; 23rd September 2016 at 04:15 PM.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Ropes (29th November 2016)

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rainsey

Have been offline for a couple of days. As far as I am aware BD are fitting the same custom radiator to all the Nissans (my engine upgrade was in April 2014). Were you advised to completely drain and change your coolant within the first 5000klm? My engine runs a serpentine belt, not sure what temp the thermostat is - I will have to ask Greg. The original Nissan temp gauge (a bit useless) is connected to the engine block sensor, I fitted a Redarc gauge and temp sensor to the upper return radiator hose. The new exhaust turbine housing on the Garrett turbo seems great - goood acceleration, improved hill climb ability - so far rev range is good, have done just over 600ks with fuel usage averaging 15.2l per 100klm (truck weighs 3400kgs with fuel, driver and passenger).

regards
    Peter
    Hey Peter, thanks for the feedback. I am sure that the radiator I have is the same that they have been putting in for yonks, but no, I had no information regarding changing my coolant in the 1st 5000km, this is not to say it is not written in the service book I got... that I will check.

I don't even look at my nissan temp gauge but rather still kept my Scanguage in place and use it as my Speedo, water temp and volt meter. I have a an Altron ( now owned by Redarc) Boost / oil pressure gauge with the third digital display being my outside temp. I was considering getting the engine temp sensor for it and doing away with the outside.

Part of the reason for keeping the Scanguage is that my Speedo is out to buggery but the Scanguage still reads spot on when compared to a GPS so I am using it instead of my factory speedo. Interestingly, my odometer is spot on.

Your fuel figures are close to mine so that makes me happy. Will investigate the turbo but, this is interesting.

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rainsey, seems strange your speedo is out but odometer is correct, have checked mine against GPS - all OK.
    One Redarc gauge for oil pressure, coolant temp and temp probe on the top of the intercooler where I have fitted a thermatic fan to help bring the temps down on slow going tracks - no use when speed is above 50kph.
    Regarding your coolant temps try blocking the gaps around the front edges - sides and top of your radiator (Clark Rubber) I found it did make a difference, also as mentioned in previous responses large driving lights and winch control boxes will impede air flow dramatically. If you are down my way some time we could meet up and compare notes.

regards

Peter

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Rainsey, seems strange your speedo is out but odometer is correct, have checked mine against GPS - all OK.
    One Redarc gauge for oil pressure, coolant temp and temp probe on the top of the intercooler where I have fitted a thermatic fan to help bring the temps down on slow going tracks - no use when speed is above 50kph.
    Regarding your coolant temps try blocking the gaps around the front edges - sides and top of your radiator (Clark Rubber) I found it did make a difference, also as mentioned in previous responses large driving lights and winch control boxes will impede air flow dramatically. If you are down my way some time we could meet up and compare notes.

regards

Peter
    Re the speedo / odometer, yep ... your comment of strange is my thought as well. It has always been the case. Years back when I moved to running 33" tyres, I built a speedo calibration unit to modify the duty cycle of the sensor ( Jaycar unit). Now it worked fine in getting the speedo spot on and it was at this time that I found the odometer was incorrect.

Now the speedo and odometer are working off the same signal so my thought would be that the calibration unit was not the cause of the inconsistency. So in the aim of wanting accurate distance measurements for fuel economy purposes I opted to calibrate to an accurate odometer and forgo the wacky speedo. I use the Scanguage that I use as my accurate speedo. GPS measurements have confirmed the accuracy of the Scanguage and the odometer. One day I must look at finding out why.

Re your comment on the intercooler fan, this is something I want to do. I assume you have a stock BD intercooler?? What fan did you use and how did you mount it?

Re the radiator, yep, I am keen to do this. When my ZD 30 radiator crapped itself and Natrad put a new one in, there was foam all around it. I noticed that this was not done with the BD radiator.

So ... what part of the world are you in??

Kindest regards
    Rainsey

Page 32 of 135 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282132 ... LastLast