Page 29 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast

Thread: All Things Chev

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I too have been saving up to get up to Mansfield to see Mill for some of his ripper products. I'm also still running a standard Safari on my n/a, here's a pic below of some of his work with 4" stainless on a 6.5 in WA just test driven, Cheers Kimbo ;-)

Really keen on purchasing one of these bars he does too, reckon my twin oil cooler out front concept should work well behind these holes in the bar.

As mentioned previously in another post, I've already bought some cheap SAAS scoops and had them baked to matching 531 k of which I believe when mounted backwards should in theory allow the heat out of the engine bay.

Here's a Jeep with a similar reverse scoop setup theory off Google

Like I said, all theory and I'm no mechanic but we'll see how it all goes hopefully over summer, right now it's freezing here and I'm running ACDelco 88D thermostats nice and cozy ;-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Kimbo63 (14th September 2016)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,717 Times in 2,675 Posts
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    I too have been saving up to get up to Mansfield to see Mill for some of his ripper products. I'm also still running a standard Safari on my n/a, here's a pic below of some of his work with 4" stainless on a 6.5 in WA just test driven, Cheers Kimbo ;-)

Really keen on purchasing one of these bars he does too, reckon my twin oil cooler out front concept should work well behind these holes in the bar.

As mentioned previously in another post, I've already bought some cheap SAAS scoops and had them baked to matching 531 k of which I believe when mounted backwards should in theory allow the heat out of the engine bay.

Here's a Jeep with a similar reverse scoop setup theory off Google

Like I said, all theory and I'm no mechanic but we'll see how it all goes hopefully over summer, right now it's freezing here and I'm running ACDelco 88D thermostats nice and cozy ;-)

MB, I think the concept with the rear facing scoop/vent is sound. The vents I have chosen are like a sawtooth and sit into the bonnet. I read the results of positive and negative pressure indication at various speed and think a simple thru vent proposition is the way to go. I am a little disappointed in hearing about your assessment with the exhaust. I was speaking with BD today as they are putting the engine/gearbox into the car tomorrow, then onto the exhaust. The aircon compressor apparently was showing signs of wear so it was replaced today as well. I will wait and see how the standard snorkle goes then most likely upgrade to the 4" next year. I think there is a similar unit sold by patrolapart that matches the standard hole of the safari, just needs to be widened. Quality looks good also. I think I will be looking at a couple of single and double pass aluminium finned heat exchangers for my aux. coolers, however will need to think hard about where they go regards protection and airflow.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rainsey, does the Millweld snorkle enter thru the same hole as the safari? I might have a look at that one as well as the Patrolapart one. I will see about the exhaust down the track, however i probably only do 2000klm/yr in this vehicle and it might not be an issue for me straight away. If I go the supercharger I will certainly look at an upgrade.

Phil

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PBBIZ2 View Post
    Rainsey, does the Millweld snorkle enter thru the same hole as the safari? I might have a look at that one as well as the Patrolapart one. I will see about the exhaust down the track, however i probably only do 2000klm/yr in this vehicle and it might not be an issue for me straight away. If I go the supercharger I will certainly look at an upgrade.

Phil
    Don't actually know, I am making a guess that it might but there will still be the holes that bolts of the Safari go through.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks
    Thanked 11,317 Times in 4,988 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    MB, I think the concept with the rear facing scoop/vent is sound. The vents I have chosen are like a sawtooth and sit into the bonnet. I read the results of positive and negative pressure indication at various speed and think a simple thru vent proposition is the way to go. I am a little disappointed in hearing about your assessment with the exhaust. I was speaking with BD today as they are putting the engine/gearbox into the car tomorrow, then onto the exhaust. The aircon compressor apparently was showing signs of wear so it was replaced today as well. I will wait and see how the standard snorkle goes then most likely upgrade to the 4" next year. I think there is a similar unit sold by patrolapart that matches the standard hole of the safari, just needs to be widened. Quality looks good also. I think I will be looking at a couple of single and double pass aluminium finned heat exchangers for my aux. coolers, however will need to think hard about where they go regards protection and airflow.
    G'devening Phil,
    Cheers for the confirmation of reverse scoop concept, as mentioned in our other thread discussion, installers be aware of each state laws on this theory ;-)
    Have personally had previous experience with bonnet top 'gills' on old FJ40 / 350 dizzy's and found they flood the bay when bowing/crossing under deep. Have been contemplating an old school choke cable/flap setup on the reversed SAAS cheapies to ease this issue although I'm diesel since 2005 so rock on :-)
    Exhaust issues you've mentioned above weren't my post :-) Rainsey mate I believe?
    Oil coolers out front, I hear you in regards protection of them, have had a single on an old FJ55 'up' open and out there, did work very well but stayed away from off track scrub antics as always ;-)
    Not sure which model 'charger' you're looking at for the future but please do be aware that the Harrop's 1900&2300's if V belt driven have a longer neck so the bonnet scoop concept needs to move into SLR Torrana territory for the pulley :-)

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

AB (14th September 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,754 Times in 8,577 Posts
    Mentioned
    581 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Rainsey, does the Millweld snorkle enter thru the same hole as the safari? I might have a look at that one as well as the Patrolapart one. I will see about the exhaust down the track, however i probably only do 2000klm/yr in this vehicle and it might not be an issue for me straight away. If I go the supercharger I will certainly look at an upgrade. Phil
    If not I'm sure hoping little extra expense required he could accommodate though.

Thank god you two are here as MB has been going mad so kudos for you two sharing the chev love

Very keen to hear the results on supercharger too!!!

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by AB View Post
    If not I'm sure hoping little extra expense required he could accommodate though.

Thank god you two are here as MB has been going mad so kudos for you two sharing the chev love

Very keen to hear the results on supercharger too!!!
    MB, AB, thanks guys for the input and banter. I will take on board the 'gills concept regards water flooding. I used to get into the deep stuff until coming unstuck once after a very poor decision, and now treat water with a bit more respect. Having said that, bow waves and the like easily come up over the bonnet, so I will think harder on this. I checked out the Millweld website and they do fit the Safari dimension. What I liked about his work is the quality - welds buffed out and flap polished, as opposed to 'as welded'.

Regards the charger, yes I was considering the 1900, as this was the format recommended by Bullet Performance about 5yrs ago when I first started considering the engine swap. They didn't mention anything about a bonnet scoop the size of a torana - yuk, bloody yuk. Might have to question BD about this further or look at a scroll/snail style like a ProCharger, but again all guesswork right now. Enquired with BD today about fitting a second alternator and did they have brackets, but the response was in line with 'not enough room, good luck trying!'.There are a pile of after market brackets avail on the net, so will just wait and see what room I have avail.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (17th September 2016)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    193 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Rainsey, looks like the 'big hole' will match as you need to specify exactly what snorkle you have or have not got, however there will likely be some holes requiring rubber grommets i guess. Quality looks very good for sure.

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (17th September 2016), rainsey (15th September 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The Millweld 4" snorkel requires an almost L shaped cut out of the guard. I had a Nissan snorkel before fitting my Millweld and it required large amounts of panel surgery. Also if you are going for one with a RAM head the RAM is not a 4" rather 3" and sits inside the stainless pipe. See below for the difference.

IMG_1203.JPG

I should also mention I believe just about all 4" snorkel require large amounts of panel surgery just depends on the manufacturer and if they worked out a better design that requires less.
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Oh 6.5 chevs......

Do you still remember some of the ideas we gave you when we were down there @MB ?

16. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

Kimbo63 (14th September 2016), MB (14th September 2016)

Page 29 of 135 FirstFirst ... 1927282930313979129 ... LastLast