The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    The temp on mine, towing, with an all up weight of around 5 tonne has never exceeded 105deg.C & that was working really hard on a hot day going up to Barrington Tops. For the past three years we've been in the Top End & in normal use rarely see the temp rise above 91 or 92, often closer to 80. My theory is that it relates to use of the right foot & that whilst TD42's can be be driven fast, their forte is burbling across the rough stuff at low revs with plenty of torque, & that if one accepts they are an old design & doesn't try to drive them like a modern car or a muscle car they wont overheat if well maintained, & kept reasonably close to stock. If it doesn't overheat when not towing I'd guess that pulling the van slower may be the answer, & if not the answer that you want, that perhaps you have chosen the wrong vehicle to pull a 3 tonne van.

No doubt one day mine will overheat & I'll have to eat my words, but so far so good - 2006 model stock except for 3" exhaust & a mild dyno (13psi) for towing. Not unusual to see us hurtling along the road at 80-85 kph.

Others may have different thoughts, just saying what works for me.
    While I agree with you mate to some extent with the right foot theory. I invite you to take my Patrol for a drive on a 30c or higher day, you don't need a heavy foot to get the water temps standing to attention in my Patrol, and I've done everything known to man to keep it under control.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 7,404 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    While I agree with you mate to some extent with the right foot theory. I invite you to take my Patrol for a drive on a 30c or higher day, you don't need a heavy foot to get the water temps standing to attention in my Patrol, and I've done everything known to man to keep it under control.
    Yep! But I did say "& kept reasonably close to stock". Yours is the antithesis of that! Kinda supports my 'theory'.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,962 Times in 3,376 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yep! But I did say "& kept reasonably close to stock". Yours is the antithesis of that! Kinda supports my 'theory'.
    For what little my opinion may be worth, I 100% agree with the stock theory. Mine is 100% stock mechanically and has never overheated, even pulling a 3t boat/trailer combo. Yes it is a complete slug but the torque pulls it away and off you go slowly on your merry way. Let the others behind you overtake. Every time I hear about overheating issues I've replaced radiator, fuel pump, water pump, turbo, boost, exhaust etc. What for? It's a 4.2 torque monster out of the factory, not a rice burner.

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Yes very true mate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    For what little my opinion may be worth, I 100% agree with the stock theory. Mine is 100% stock mechanically and has never overheated, even pulling a 3t boat/trailer combo. Yes it is a complete slug but the torque pulls it away and off you go slowly on your merry way. Let the others behind you overtake. Every time I hear about overheating issues I've replaced radiator, fuel pump, water pump, turbo, boost, exhaust etc. What for? It's a 4.2 torque monster out of the factory, not a rice burner.
    Its just nice to be able to hit a hill whilst towing and not have to fan the clutch in second gear to keep her moving. Just point and shoot now. Its still no rice burner though. More of a coal burner, great for gassing the cyclists when they ride two abreast on a narrow road.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Cuppa (19th May 2021), Hodge (19th May 2021), jff45 (19th May 2021)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Muk View Post
    New nissan fan clutch fitted, blades all in good condition.
    All under guard rubbers good.
    Plastic air dam underneath good condition.
    Some of foam strips between aircon condenser and new large radiator missing.
    Get some foam and fill those gaps mate. You want to force the air through the radiator, air flow will take the easiest path and with the foam gone, a lot of air will be just going around the radiator, not through it.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

Hodge (19th May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Yes very true mate.

Its just nice to be able to hit a hill whilst towing and not have to fan the clutch in second gear to keep her moving. Just point and shoot now. Its still no rice burner though. More of a coal burner, great for gassing the cyclists when they ride two abreast on a narrow road.
    I have never had to fan the clutch on a hill whilst towing. Second is usually quite adequate even on even most of Tassie’s long & steep inclines, although I have resorted to first on a few occasions & had cyclists overtaking me! . On one short but steep pinch on Tassie’s ‘Western Explorer’ I believe I may even have used low ratio in 2wd too. Up here in the north climbing the Kuranda range from Cairns up to the Tablelands towing is a second & occasionally 3rd gear job, keeping EGT’s below about 450. Mostly 3rd is only for brief spells, & knocking it back to second gives a sense of ‘Ah that feels better’. Going with the flow instead of trying to make the curves into a race track. It would be nice to have a vehicle which in those sort of circumstances could keep up with lighter & more modern vehicles, but our TD42 does the job without breaking a sweat & importantly (to me) provides the reliability I need for remote travel. I’d take ours anywhere in the country without 2nd thought. Generally pick the gear & let the car do it’s thing whilst relaxing & watching the scenery go by. Ha ha. Tuning & tweaking these cars to give more power, whilst a perfectly valid (& fun) choice often seems to come at a cost in addition to the money spent. Fun yes! But as a long distance tourer, especially when pulling some weight, not desirable. Horses for courses ..... or perhaps for jockeys who’s styles may be age related. Ha ha.
    Last edited by Cuppa; 19th May 2021 at 08:16 AM.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

MB (21st May 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,387 Times in 6,250 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I have never had to fan the clutch on a hill whilst towing. Second is usually quite adequate even on even most of Tassie’s long & steep inclines, although I have resorted to first on a few occasions & had cyclists overtaking me! . On one short but steep pinch on Tassie’s ‘Western Explorer’ I believe I may even have used low ratio in 2wd too. Up here in the north climbing the Kuranda range from Cairns up to the Tablelands towing is a second & occasionally 3rd gear job, keeping EGT’s below about 450. Mostly 3rd is only for brief spells, & knocking it back to second gives a sense of ‘Ah that feels better’. Going with the flow instead of trying to make the curves into a race track. It would be nice to have a vehicle which in those sort of circumstances could keep up with lighter & more modern vehicles, but our TD42 does the job without breaking a sweat & importantly (to me) provides the reliability I need for remote travel. I’d take ours anywhere in the country without 2nd thought. Generally pick the gear & let the car do it’s thing whilst relaxing & watching the scenery go by. Ha ha. Tuning & tweaking these cars to give more power, whilst a perfectly valid (& fun) choice often seems to come at a cost in addition to the money spent. Fun yes! But as a long distance tourer, especially when pulling some weight, not desirable. Horses for courses ..... or perhaps for jockeys who’s styles may be age related. Ha ha.
    I believe the reason most TD42 owners have issues overheating is because they have modified them to have the extra power, once the extra power is there it's natural to want to use it all the time. Up long steep hills I could easily hold 5th gear 100km/hr where a stock one couldn't. But mine would get hot and the stock one wouldn't.
    If I were to maintain the same speed as a stock one I wouldn't get hot at all.
    I hold speed until I see the temp begin to rise, then slow down and drop a gear. This weekend just gone I towed my 2t caravan to Omeo from Bruthen. Anybody who knows the last hill knows it is an absolute bastard of a radiator tester. Held 3rs gear 3/4 of the way and had to drop to 2nd at the end.
    I could have held 4th if I put my foot down but would have ended up needing another new engine I reckon.

Sent from my SM-G986B using Tapatalk

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

mudski (19th May 2021), Rossco (19th May 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Winnie View Post
    I believe the reason most TD42 owners have issues overheating is because they have modified them to have the extra power, once the extra power is there it's natural to want to use it all the time.
    Yep, that's pretty much it. Ya pays your money & makes ya choices.

A Nomadic Life (Blog)

Thanks
    Thanked 20,716 Times in 8,560 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with you guys above too but for what its worth I tried everything and only one combo solution worked perfect for me.

Towing 2 tonne van in over 30 degrees was extremely stressful especially with our hills down here.

As soon as I put the OEM radiator and UFI fan hub assembly in, all of my troubles went away and still to this day its cool as a cucumber.

I religiously keep the OEM radiator as clean as possible and with that UFI fan I barely hit 100 on 35 degree + days towing the 2 tonne van even up hills like the slide at Kinglake even with the cold AC pumping as well.

Prior to the upgrade above even if I dropped down to 3rd and gently drove the hills it still crept up, nothing I could do would help. Heater on near the top of the hills to try and keep it from boiling, kids loved that in the middle of summer lol

And my sprinkler idea bahaha, arr the good ol days!

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to AB For This Useful Post:

Hodge (19th May 2021), mudski (19th May 2021), Rossco (20th May 2021)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    My Patrol started getting hot after I fitted an aftermarket water temp gauge.
    2005 TD42TI

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

AB (19th May 2021), Cuppa (20th May 2021), Rossco (20th May 2021), Wizard52 (23rd May 2021)

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast