OUR VIDEOS GALLERY MEMBER SPONSORSHIP VENDOR SPONSORSHIP

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Advice on a blown engine for an 88' GQ SWB Please!

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    If you were burning it you'd know by the cloud of blue smoke following you , if it was leaking there should be oil from arse to breakfast on the car underneath .
    thats the thing mate there was no smoke and no leak. Haven't taken it back AB, dont feel comfortable them touching it again.

Thanks Garett, a friend has given me the contact details for someone who does engine rebuilds, I'll get him to take a look and inspect the damage. Was just hoping someone on here from Melbourne has done a rebuild/recondition with a GQ.

Will keep everyone updated, in case a similar thing happens to them. Just want my baby back on the road

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtle_au View Post
    If there was no oil the warning light should have come on before serious damage was done, and the engine would have been really noisy.
    Where there any warning signs like smoke, noise, rough running?

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk
    No warning light Turtle_au, no noise, no rough running and no smoke. That's what I can't understand.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by aliamus View Post
    No warning light Turtle_au, no noise, no rough running and no smoke. That's what I can't understand.
    What do you mean by the motor has blown? In addition to what others has said, if it was out or low on oil you should have been able to smell the heat before it stopped. Did it sieze or are there bits through the side of the engine. What exactly has happened?
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,911 Times in 1,256 Posts
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    thats the thing mate there was no smoke and no leak. Haven't taken it back AB, dont feel comfortable them touching it again.

Thanks Garett, a friend has given me the contact details for someone who does engine rebuilds, I'll get him to take a look and inspect the damage. Was just hoping someone on here from Melbourne has done a rebuild/recondition with a GQ.

Will keep everyone updated, in case a similar thing happens to them. Just want my baby back on the road
    No smoke , no leaks , no oil , seized motor , three weeks after service , my old boss would put that down to a loose glove box hinge but I'm pointing my finger at the service .
    If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a duck .

Thanks
    Thanked 2,537 Times in 1,299 Posts
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by GQtdauto View Post
    No smoke , no leaks , no oil , seized motor , three weeks after service , my old boss would put that down to a loose glove box hinge but I'm pointing my finger at the service .
    If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck it's a duck .
    I agree but trying to work out where the oil went. Assuming it wouldn't go for three weeks without oil, and its not on the ground out front, or smoking through the exhaust ot providing rust proofing on the chassie from the engine back, where is it? Did it just chuck a seal and dump it somewhere do you think?
    2005 GU IV ST 3.0. Snorkel. Roof rack. Awning. Spots. Welded I/C. Dual batteries & VSR. UHF. Barn door hinge extension. Roof top spot lights. Rear drawers. 2" lift. NADS. EGT and boost gauges. Trans temp and water temp gauges. Provent 200 catch can. Rear ladder

And crawling on the planet's face, some insects called the human race. Lost in time. And lost in space... and meaning.

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    How do you know there is no oil. From the dipstick? Could be just below the end of the dipstick, but still may have been enough for the oil pump to pick up.
    Maybe the mechanics did an oil and filter change, filled the sump to the dipstick mark and didn't top it up after running the engine to make up for the oil in the filter.

Sent from my SM-T355Y using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Turtle_au For This Useful Post:

GQtdauto (15th May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had a mechanic try and tell me the other day my GQ Td only needed 6 or 7 litres and it only had one oil filter , wherever a human is involved , mistakes are made .

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,298 Times in 6,438 Posts
    Mentioned
    461 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Sucks to see your having issues mate. As to what has happened when you say it blown, is still in question. As for a mechanic. See this link, it may help you or not. Plus a location of where you are will help a lot too for others to point you to the right mechanic. 4x4 Obsession in Melton would be my pic for a workshop on north west way.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...2127-Workshops

Thanks
    Mentioned
    41 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mudski View Post
    Sucks to see your having issues mate. As to what has happened when you say it blown, is still in question. As for a mechanic. See this link, it may help you or not. Plus a location of where you are will help a lot too for others to point you to the right mechanic. 4x4 Obsession in Melton would be my pic for a workshop on north west way.
    http://www.nissanpatrol.com.au/forum...2127-Workshops
    Would be nice to know just how much oil is in it Mudski , if there was none he wouldn't have run it for three weeks , but given no leaks and no smoke it's not really a mystery unless someone crawled under his car that night and pinched his oil .

12. The Following User Says Thank You to GQtdauto For This Useful Post:

mudski (15th May 2017)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    38 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all,

long time reader, new member.

Was just wondering if I could get any advice on my beloved shorty. We have had our 1988 Ford Maverick SWB in the family for nearly 30 years. I have spent a lot of money fixing it up slowly.

Unfortunately about 2 weeks ago whilst driving the engine blew on me. It appears there was no oil despite only recently having it serviced.

I am going to organise a mechanic to assess the motor, ideally I'll repair and recondition the motor if its possible.

I don't know a whole heap about cars and I dont have a lot of money so I dont want to get mislead or ripped off. Was just wondering does anyone here know and trust anyone in Melbourne who I can get to take a look at my motor and see if it's repairable? and secondly, if it's not repairable, what is the best solution for me? eg better off buying a new custom made engine even thought it'll be pricy? or finding a reconditioned motor? If so anyone know people who work on motors and ideally have worked on GQ's?

The original motor in it at the moment was the 4.2l petrol engine with manual transmission. I realise whichever option I choose im looking at $$$ but since I want to keep this car long term I rather do it the best way. I should also note I drive this car day to day.

If anyone can give their advice I'd be very grateful!
    How did you assess the engine's blown(meaning is seized)?

Can you crank the engine at all?
    RB30, some 2-3 inch lift auxiliary LPG tanks
    Few more mods on the way
    http://www.worldwildlife.org/species/tiger
    https://www.panthera.org/
    Cheetah Outreach

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast