Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Installing an Electric pump to assist the Ip

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Installing an Electric pump to assist the Ip

Has anyone put an electric pump on their Gq to help the Ip pump? And if so what filter set up did you use before the electric pump, everything I find has a glass bottom and that is bad for under a 4x4 vehicle.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @mudski is probably a good starting point regards the config I would think. He sells a wide range of filtration gear and knows the detail better than most. Drop him a PM if he doesn't chime in.

My set as follows. 2 tanks (147L main and 70L aux). I pump from the aux belly tank to the main using a manually activated in line pump. The aux pump is protected using a simple ryco inline unit that gets swapped out every 5000klm. I was under the truck yesterday and noticed its collected some crap just from the aux, so it will get changed soon. The fuel fills the main tank and I just use the dash gauge for level control. Fuel leaving the main tank goes thru a Raycor filter and water trap assy with electric indication on the dash for was collected, The fuel is filtered at 6 micron. This unit has a plastic bowl, however I have it mounted high up above diff level, and in a metal box for protection. Prior to this I ran a CAV filter with toughened glass bowl without issue, but it was inside the metal box. I changed from the CAV to the Raycor because the fuel rate capacity thru the CASV was too low for the s/c application. The location is a PIA but for the frequency of swap out for me, I would not do 2000klm/yr I reckon, its fine. The filter is before an Aeroflow BLACK series booster pump. This flows at 530lpHR which is plenty for even the chev which runs at WOT of circa 70LPHR. This maintains a constant 13pSI boost pressure to the IP at idle and 11PSI at WOT. I found when I first installed this pump as an upgrade to the original fitted by Brunswick Diesel, when the vehicle was N/A configured, the engine immediately ran better, totally different feel to it. The pump then pushes thru a cartridge spin on unit with the hand primer of 2 micron into the pump. You can see from the numbers there is a significant amount of fuel avail and also returning to the tank. There is a strong regard for Carter pumps I believe. I found the value of the Aeroflow best for me because I like to carry a spare and from a cost perspective it was easier on the pocket whilst getting the performance. Regards filtration, 2 micron is pretty conservative for this old technology pump, but it suits my mindset - i have heard 5-6 micron is probably just as reasonable.

I run calibrated flowmeters on the supply and return lines plus a calibrated fuel pressure transmitter and a standalone fuel management computer, so these numbers are accurate. For cold weather I have 120w thermal blankets on the pump , the filter bowls and also one on both tank bodies. i have just ordered an in-line heater unit as well, so this will eliminate any waxing/gelling in cold weather such as weekend snow trips where I camp in the snow and it gets well into the minus temps.

Hope this helps.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

First Pooy (16th June 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What a nightmare nothing is simply when it comes to 4x4s the fuel lines are packed in tightly to each other and it will be a bitch fight to get them out far enough to cut them, and then it will be just a striaght cut with no barb at the end to keep the hose on,then as you have done I will need a box for protection.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There is very little chance of a stone smashing the pump/filter bowl in my opinion. You could even use a PVC/ABS enclosure from Jaycar or similar to provide some preliminary protection. I would not be too concerned about the missing roll form on the cut line - pressures are low - use two hose clamps if concerned. Try to use a proper tube cutter so you dont get any chips into the line if you can. I bought a really small one off ebay and it ha a swing radius of maybe 50mm.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

First Pooy (16th June 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have been tosing up mounting locations and here is a suggestion from mudski, do you guys feel that this is to close to the exhaust pipe there is 40 mm from the end of the terminal pin and top of the exhaust
    20200616_160123.jpg20200616_160050.jpg20200616_160044.jpg

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The pipe at that point will be relatively cold, so it should be fine. If in doubt, wrap it in some foil and insulation, but I would not bother.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Carter instructions are driving me made it said under no conditions to mount the pump inside the vehicle or boot and then they say to avoid spashes or being submerged, make up your bloody mind, well even a car will splash water on the pump on a hard rainy day with deep puddles and it is a 4x4 it will get splashed and a very good chance of being submerged.

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by First Pooy View Post
    Carter instructions are driving me made it said under no conditions to mount the pump inside the vehicle or boot and then they say to avoid spashes or being submerged, make up your bloody mind, well even a car will splash water on the pump on a hard rainy day with deep puddles and it is a 4x4 it will get splashed and a very good chance of being submerged.
    I know, they write everything like its sitting on a bitumen road. If concerned, I would wrap the pump body with a neoprene stubby holder with some cable ties and then a foil wrap for the heat - that should just about do it. the pump will be sealed and capable of infrequent immersion i am sure.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    I know, they write everything like its sitting on a bitumen road. If concerned, I would wrap the pump body with a neoprene stubby holder with some cable ties and then a foil wrap for the heat - that should just about do it. the pump will be sealed and capable of infrequent immersion i am sure.
    Is about time that I used that superior stubbie cooler for something useful lol

13. The Following User Says Thank You to First Pooy For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (16th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    I mounted mine on the GU next to the sub tank. basically under the Drivers seat. Works great. Well Protected there too. Easy to cut the fuel line there too.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast