Thread: Going Solar on the GU wagon

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Is that a wet cell battery? inside the cabin? Not a great idea. I had a calcium wet cell crap out and it filled the cabin with fumes and that means corrosion - yet to get a handle on the potential of what slow creeping damage I have to the electronics inside the car. Cleaned out @MudRunnerTD sinus's!!!!
    Hideous indeed. If that is a Wetcell in the car then you need to rethink that for sure. I remember the day that was venting into the car. OMG! was terrible. Also another forum member @matfew had a wetcell explode in the back of his GQ on the way to Licola a couple of years ago. it was in the rear area and his daughter was in the back seat. he was Very Very lucky.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    If you're up Deer Park way I have too Rhino aero bars you can have,
    You can even install a light bar underneath.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Is that a wet cell battery? inside the cabin? Not a great idea. I had a calcium wet cell crap out and it filled the cabin with fumes and that means corrosion - yet to get a handle on the potential of what slow creeping damage I have to the electronics inside the car. Cleaned out @MudRunnerTD sinus's!!!!
    Hmmm, it's sealed maintenance free battery, So whats wrong with that ?
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    If you're up Deer Park way I have too Rhino aero bars you can have,
    You can even install a light bar underneath.
    Cheers thanks for the offer, the aluminium tubing is very strong and my custom made roof brackets will do the jobs as not much weight in all .
    97 GU Ti 4.5 on lpg , uhf icom Pro400, Garmin GPS Maps, HD-Lukas Dash Cam with gps tracking. Snorkel , I-Max 12000lb Winch , Twin rear light bracket on wheel carrier for light & uhf antenna,Draws unit, Electric Cargo barrier, HID headlights kit, LED Light Bar, 2 inch lift with HD King springs and Monroe Gas Magnum TDT 4WD Shock Absorbers, BS Dueler 697 Lt 285/75R-16 .

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,264 Times in 6,427 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by altech View Post
    Hmmm, it's sealed maintenance free battery, So whats wrong with that ?
    If its a lead acid battery even though its sealed it will have a breather. As far as I understand. As when charging the battery will need to vent off the poisonous gas it will, create. If the battery is housed in a box with sufficient ventilation to the outside of the vehicle then it might be good to use.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mudski For This Useful Post:

rusty_nail (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Can I just add something here. That battery is not sealed , back then Century didn’t have a sealed battery. They fitted a fake long cap over the actual battery caps. It’s hinged
    If you lift it up with your fingers, you will see the 6 caps. Open them up and check the water level because a lot of these batteries run dry prematurely, killing them.
    Century now have a proper sealed version but it still vents and should not be used in a confined space.
    Agm, Gel or Lithium are the only safe options to be used inside a car/ caravan.
    After 30+ years selling batteries I have learnt a trick or 2

Proud BTrol Owner
    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

9. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

Bidja (19th March 2019), Clunk (20th March 2019), Hodge (19th March 2019), jack (19th March 2019), MudRunnerTD (19th March 2019), mudski (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Yeti's Beast View Post
    Can I just add something here. That battery is not sealed , back then Century didn’t have a sealed battery. They fitted a fake long cap over the actual battery caps. It’s hinged
    If you lift it up with your fingers, you will see the 6 caps. Open them up and check the water level because a lot of these batteries run dry prematurely, killing them.
    Century now have a proper sealed version but it still vents and should not be used in a confined space.
    Agm, Gel or Lithium are the only safe options to be used inside a car/ caravan.
    After 30+ years selling batteries I have learnt a trick or 2

Proud BTrol Owner
    can't fine any caps on top , just a glass indicator saying good to go. anyway thanks for everone input and l have ordered a deep cycle sealed battery that is safe inside the cabin , here the link

https://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/b...-cycle-battery

11. The Following User Says Thank You to altech For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (19th March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    4 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by altech View Post
    can't fine any caps on top , just a glass indicator saying good to go. anyway thanks for everone input and l have ordered a deep cycle sealed battery that is safe inside the cabin , here the link

https://www.aussiebatteries.com.au/b...-cycle-battery
    Very good
    That’s heaps safer than having that time bomb in the back.
    Check out this video and see if your old battery is like this one
    https://youtu.be/r4StoOMsrBw

Proud BTrol Owner

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Yeti's Beast For This Useful Post:

altech (20th March 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    There will be a vent hole, maybe only 1mm diameter. If you are lucky they will be a vent with a small diameter spigot, so you can slip a plastic hose on to vent externally. My big wet cell - also maintenance free had this however I didn't see it until after the event. I think I simply had the wrong battery for the duty - guessing the cells themselves could not take the vibration and collapsed? Anyway, its just a situation to be aware of and if you can sort something out for normal venting I guess thats your call. My lesson is learnt and never again!

15. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

altech (20th March 2019)

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Some great feedback and suggestions here in your setup mate. Yetis Beast helped me out big time with batteries / suggestions. Knows his s#it.

I will reinforce what Mudrunner said.
    Get some proper bigger and thin stranded auto cable mate.
    Think of your current setup as fieries turning up to fight a fire and only having your Bunnings 10mm garden hose as a pressure supply.

DC electrons don't like being pushed through long solid metals (larger strands).

Even if you don't need high amp demand, still helps heaps having larger cables making sure it is properly fused to size / demand.

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

17. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

altech (20th March 2019), MudRunnerTD (20th March 2019), threedogs (20th March 2019), Yeti's Beast (20th March 2019)

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast