Thread: The Hunters Thread...

Advanced
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by sooty_10 View Post
    @Snafu I have a meopta meostar 3-12x56 w/ the meopta hunting turret added on. I currently have a basic chrono for measuring my velocities and use a few ballistics apps to verify against real ranges. Will get a bis 500 target soon for the long target shots. Yeah I hold for wind but only have a basic reticle so limited there as well. This rifle is really my all rounder used for varmints -> deer. Would like a more suitable long range hunting rifle and scope set up one day. I currently run vmax 110's @ 3300fps for light duties and I am working up a 150gn load for deer (previously used 130gn factory SP)

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk
    The Meopta line of scopes I have heard are good never actually looked through one thou. The Vmax's would be like dynamite on thin skin and the 150's should be good for deer.
    I have only been on the deer once and at the time had to use my 308 target rifle oh wasn't that fun my arms ended up 3" longer. But got a sambar which my mate was most unimpressed as I was using 150gr NBT and took his head off. He wanted to get it mounted.
    In regards to your long range is it for banging steel and target work or hunting ? The 7mm and 6.5's are great for long range and good variety of high bc bullets. Hunting wise me personally the 6.5 is good for long range varmint shooting but anything heavier I believe it lacks the knock down power. Even if using like nosler bonded bullets or the like your shot placement is very critical. This is were the 7mm has an advantage in knock down and good ballistics espicially in the relms on the 7mm STW and the like.
    The 300wm, 300 rum etc are also good long range plenty knock down and reasonable ballistics as well.

A good read is the books written by Bryan Litz of Applied Ballistics he also is the ballistian for Berger as well.
    Last edited by Snafu; 30th July 2016 at 10:20 AM.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Snafu yeah eventually hunting. 300wm would be the most I would consider I think, obviously the 6.5/7mm would be cheaper to run for long range target. My mate has the Bryan Litz book so I will have to grab it off him and get stuck into it. Thanks for the advice.

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    Reminds me of days of yore, when every shorty 40 and F100 had a rifle across the back window
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/CENTER-LO...QAAMXQE9hR-rN6
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/e...cope-4-16x50mm

just watching a Deer hunting show on free to air, they were shooting deer at 400 yrds plus longest was 660 yrds
    They used this scope thats more a computer, You feed the info of the ballistics of your rifle , shot used etc
    They scope will take all this info and set the cross hairs. The scope is new to these mad deer hunters but
    the scope has a 100% kill rate
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

6. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

caveman21 (10th August 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by threedogs View Post
    http://www.burrisoptics.com/scopes/e...cope-4-16x50mm

just watching a Deer hunting show on free to air, they were shooting deer at 400 yrds plus longest was 660 yrds
    They used this scope thats more a computer, You feed the info of the ballistics of your rifle , shot used etc
    They scope will take all this info and set the cross hairs. The scope is new to these mad deer hunters but
    the scope has a 100% kill rate
    Been around for a while the burris eliminators. Always thought about buying one but less skill and fun involved. If you think the burris is techo check out this fella....

https://youtu.be/YD9utBMQ4SU

http://tracking-point.com/

8. The Following User Says Thank You to sooty_10 For This Useful Post:

threedogs (9th August 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My folks are having some issues with foxes on their farm, got into their chooks already once. Whats the best way to hunt them?
    2004 4.2TDi GU ST Ute, 3" Exhaust, UHF, Lightforce Spotties, BFG All Terrains, Steel Winchbar, Winch, Dual Batts, CC Ultimate IC, 4" Snorkel, XLR8 Steps and Scrub bar

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    spotlight and or fox whistle, try make sure your down wind of where they are

Thanks
    Thanked 11,319 Times in 4,989 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    My folks are having some issues with foxes on their farm, got into their chooks already once. Whats the best way to hunt them?
    The SSAA in conjunction with Parks-Vic have been having good daytime results whistling in the State forest adjoining us and many other areas in Vic.
    http://www.sportingshootermag.com.au/news/fox-whistling

12. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

gubigfish (9th August 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,776 Times in 1,518 Posts
    Mentioned
    25 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gubigfish View Post
    I'd recommend a spotlight and go on foot, get a small battery (motorcycle or similar) and stay close to home at first. Once they've got a few easy pickings trust me they will be back and have spread the word.

Pick a moonless night and I found wind didn't really matter to much. I think my best effort in a few hours was five within 500 meters of the house and probably saw as many again but out of range. This was on foot and using a 22 magnum that night. I've also shot them by spotlight on foot using a shotgun but for that I needed someone to hold the spotlight.
    They can be cunning and even raided the chook pen when I had the staghounds in the dog yard less than 20 meters away. You could hear them moving around the paddock near the house crying ( can't describe it as a bark) to check if the dogs were loose before they moved in.
    They can also be stupid, I once shot a rabbit in broad daylight and a big dog fox ran out of the ferns and picked it up. He was in no hurry and didn't have time to take a step after looking around.

Whistling takes some practice, I've shot heaps this way as well but one might come at you at 100 kph at the first sound of the whistle and the next one would run away at the same speed.

Good luck.

Edit: Just read the link posted by MB and it states wind is important, we'll agree to disagree. It was never a major factor when spotlighting for me. (and I've been around longer than the author (just)).
    Last edited by jack; 9th August 2016 at 08:24 PM.
    Cheers
    Jack

2012 Simpson 50th Anniversary Edition.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jack For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (22nd January 2017), gubigfish (9th August 2016)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    well got me a new bang stick coming in a few days to chase a few deer, got a howa in 300wm with a ziess conquest hd5 3-15x42. hopefully get out next weekend to run in and sight in
    gone to the dark side 2017 vdj 79 dc

16. The Following User Says Thank You to billyj For This Useful Post:

growler2058 (2nd April 2017)

Page 59 of 66 FirstFirst ... 9495758596061 ... LastLast