Thread: TD rev range opinions.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,507 Times in 6,602 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatrol View Post
    Yes it is a turbo intercooled. THanks all for the replies. My last reply didnt go through for some reason.
    I'll run with my instincts and your replies drive it like a mack truck. As i said i just dont feel this thing liking being revved high im rather surprised the way the mechanic drove it is the way he thinks is the way to get up and go out of it. Patrol needs a few small things done like and ill think of taking it elsewhere.
    I highly recomend a Dyno Tune. You will find it not really making mush boost until 1900 or so and you really are babying it. They Hate 2000rpm, Hate it. 2000rmp is the magic number for a Kettle in my opinion for both my TDs. Cruising ar 2200 to 2400rpm and they just sing. cruisoing at 2000rpm and the EGTs can get a little Hows ya father.

Once Tuned you could make 4000rpm and the only thing stopping you is your mechanical sympathy. a stock TD42T will be pretty flat through the 3000rpm onwoulds but tuned and there is a power curve up there that they just love.

Fit it up with a decent Turbo and 12mm pump and nice intercooler (The factory is junk) and it will be transformed. Night and Day mate.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (14th July 2023), DeanPatrol (17th July 2023)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,247 Times in 644 Posts
    Mentioned
    22 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ok, my tuppence worth.
    Although my critter is balanced to within an nth degree it is still a td 42.
    I swap out at 2200, it pulls from 1200 and happily revs right thru to 3000.
    No use revving beyond that, feck all to be gained.
    Upgrade your fuel pump, 11m is fine, big diff to be seen there and with a decent tune naff all difference in fuel consumption.
    Tuppence worth done with.
    I AM NOT STUBBORN.........I prefer the term, Singlemindedly independent !

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Touses For This Useful Post:

jff45 (15th July 2023), MB (14th July 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    TP
    Good & Great 12mm Rarities are few and far between, 11mm are more than enough to achieve anything Australia can safely/wisely/longevity throw at oneself

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

DeanPatrol (17th July 2023), jff45 (15th July 2023), Rossco (17th July 2023)

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    I highly recomend a Dyno Tune. You will find it not really making mush boost until 1900 or so and you really are babying it. They Hate 2000rpm, Hate it. 2000rmp is the magic number for a Kettle in my opinion for both my TDs. Cruising ar 2200 to 2400rpm and they just sing. cruisoing at 2000rpm and the EGTs can get a little Hows ya father.

Once Tuned you could make 4000rpm and the only thing stopping you is your mechanical sympathy. a stock TD42T will be pretty flat through the 3000rpm onwoulds but tuned and there is a power curve up there that they just love.

Fit it up with a decent Turbo and 12mm pump and nice intercooler (The factory is junk) and it will be transformed. Night and Day mate.
    Thanks for this insight and taking your time to respond RunMudder. Been doing reading and youre on the money. If it were my daily / camper / off roader id be throwing this car at the mercy of diesel ticklers. But the wifestar drives this daily and it hardly gets warmed up before she gets to work (which is another issue , but thats for another chapter).

Im content with the power this thing has. And again im ass you ming that tune / power wise it has never been touched judging by receipts. But its NEVER big enough I guess.
    Is it effective to give it a tune whilst retaining factory snail and pump? Its the sort of $ i dont want to throw at it given our scenario and askings of he car.
    If so is there a go to tuner around melbourne? I'm new in town so to speak. I quickly googled and facebooked but got lost quickly in chats regarding fuel screw jockey tuners out there. Im no expert in diesel tuning but fuel screw massaging seems to be a common denominator amongst chats i found to be a BIG no no.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Touses View Post
    Ok, my tuppence worth.
    Although my critter is balanced to within an nth degree it is still a td 42.
    I swap out at 2200, it pulls from 1200 and happily revs right thru to 3000.
    No use revving beyond that, feck all to be gained.
    Upgrade your fuel pump, 11m is fine, big diff to be seen there and with a decent tune naff all difference in fuel consumption.
    Tuppence worth done with.
    thanks for responding mate. i replied above to mudrunner with more or less same thoughts to your words mate.

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Just to clarify...
    When i asked about WHEN do you change gears. I was merely asking WHAT do you rev it to in each gear?
    I hardly go to 2300, somtimes more before dropping it and swapping to next upper cog. RInse and repeat.

The mechanic in question, @questioned@ this. He revved it to 3k or so, and very quickly shifted before revs had a chance to breathe and drop much at all.
    Nascar td42 pretender there guys. I wasnt buying it.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    After I bought my 04 TD42 I took it to Diesel -tec in Lilydale on the recommendation of a few members on here.
    It already had a 3in exhaust, but otherwise stock.
    The tune was pricey, but I have to say well worth it and done by someone who absolutely knows these engines. So the piece of mind was worth it.

Previous owner had dialed up the fuel screw, so Andy at Diesel-tec increased the boost to match and I achieved much better fuel economy.

I drive it around town mostly and get about 12.8L/100

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DeanPatrol View Post
    fuel screw jockey tuners out there. Im no expert in diesel tuning but fuel screw massaging seems to be a common denominator amongst chats i found to be a BIG no no.
    Done properly and sympathetically, it can make a positive difference. (I'd always advise a lift-pump, pre-injector-pump as well)
    Consider that these things were assembled to be reliable AF (detuned from factory) and *just a couple* of years ago... a tweak on the smoke screw will usually help.

It's the "wind it in until you're blowing like a train, then dial back an eighth-turn" muppets that tend to blow motors.

And as above... EGT gauge will tell you what-for.
    - 1990 LWB Safari flatdeck, TD42 -
    - 1988 LWB 7-seat Safari, TD42 -
    1989 LWB 5-Seat, TD42

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mihit For This Useful Post:

MB (19th July 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,323 Times in 4,992 Posts
    Mentioned
    472 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very “Happy” so far with UFI’s 11mm / 18g ‘kit’ (United Fuel Injection) from over in WA after QLD Guru’s recommendations kindly on here

https://www.unitedfuel.com.au/vehicl...rket-turbo-kit

Decided to Intercool directly under my highest muddy/river crossing speccy stock bonnet via W2A (water to air) thanks to PWR and their efficient cylinder Hot-Dogs too

https://shop.pwr.com.au/intercoolers

Merely 156 rwkw (rear wheel kilowatts) (not flywheel) and a helpful 650 Nm ( Newcastle Mum’s) of hard/slow workable torque

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

15. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (20th July 2023), jff45 (19th July 2023), Rossco (19th July 2023), Winnie (19th July 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,062 Times in 615 Posts
    Mentioned
    13 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Very “Happy” so far with UFI’s 11mm / 18g ‘kit’ (United Fuel Injection) from over in WA after QLD Guru’s recommendations kindly on here

https://www.unitedfuel.com.au/vehicl...rket-turbo-kit

Decided to Intercool directly under my highest muddy/river crossing speccy stock bonnet via W2A (water to air) thanks to PWR and their efficient cylinder Hot-Dogs too

https://shop.pwr.com.au/intercoolers

Merely 156 rwkw (rear wheel kilowatts) (not flywheel) and a helpful 650 Nm ( Newcastle Mum’s) of hard/slow workable torque
    Are you measuring intake air temps with the W2A? I'm currently converting mine to W2A with Aeroflow gear (IC, pump & heat exchanger) and I'm putting exposed tip thermocouples before & after the IC to see how much difference it makes.

Apologies to the OP for the hijack..
    John

2001 GUII TI 4500 - Now converted to TD42T auto with Nomad valve body

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jff45 For This Useful Post:

BrazilianY60 (20th July 2023), MB (19th July 2023)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast