Thread: New zd30 owner

Beginner
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

New zd30 owner

Hey guys, got my first 4x4 a few months back - a 03 zd30 Gu !

The flywheel blew up last week - replaced that and a new heavy duty clutch - got it back from the boys and my boost gauge now is only reading up to 2psi when it was at a comfortable 8psi before the guys played with it. They reckon they went to put it up to 15psi but couldn't (I didn't know this until I started having this issue)
    I've done some reading in here and have ordered new gauges but I don't think it's that - the car sounds 10x louder than before and has lost all of its oompf,
    As soon as I get to cruise at any speed the gauge goes back down to 0.
    Stuck my head in there and couldn't find any splits in the vaccume line or any other lines, and I'm wondering what I should check next before I take it and spend a whole lot more $$$
    I'm pretty green at all of this and trying to learn as much as possible So if someone could point me in the right direction that'd be great 😁👍

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Max boost 15 psi is what you should be aiming for.

Few things may be going on here.

If she is running low boost less than 10psi your EGTs will be high, so suggest you need to sort out the problem before driving around anymore. Do you have an EGT gauge(what temps)?

Check that the boost hoses are clamped securely and are in good condition from turbo to intercooler and to the inlet manifold.

Guess you running manual boost control (Dawes/Tillix with needle valve) and what do you have?

Check for boost leaks, would have to be a significant leak, have a general look around, maybe oils marks present (possible leak area) and check gauge connection(look where it takes off the boost reference from (line/fittings) and what gauge is it?

Start your engine and at idle look at the actuator fitted to the turbo and observe the actuator rod position (@ idle it should be in the up position_lever hitting vane limit stop screw). While eng is still running at idle, pull the vacuum hose off the actuator diaphragm and the rod should drop. If you put it on and off at idle you should see the rod go up and down(this test causes no eng issues). The vac hose can be disconnected any where on the vac side of boost controller (Dawes/Tillix) to do this test.
    How far open is your needle valve, take note how many turns off its seat and try closing it, then open it 3 turns and observe what the actuator rod does.

Check out the hoses/possible leaks and actuator operation and come back to us.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @Ambazd30 Just noted you have just joined so would be good idea drop by intro section and say G'day and welcome to the forum mate.

You are already here. Maybe admin could move the tech question to correct place for further discussion.
    Last edited by Bidja; 25th July 2020 at 07:55 PM.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Thanked 1,235 Times in 992 Posts
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate.
    In the words of a Dhuck "QUACK".

Thanks
    Thanked 20,715 Times in 8,559 Posts
    Mentioned
    579 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum mate and feel free to ask any questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk