Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast

Thread: Building the 'expedition' box - looking for ideas and input

Thanks
    Thanked 12,385 Times in 6,249 Posts
    Mentioned
    201 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Good comment about the box that always gives.
    Have a look at how well an ozpig fits inside.

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Winnie For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (1st June 2020), FNQGU (8th June 2020), PeeBee (8th June 2020), Rossco (1st June 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is a handy fit, for sure.

Good one.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    Hi guys, apologies for no updates recently. Been absent due to declining health and eventual passing of my Dad. Starting to get back on track now though.

We've finalised the design of the first box at 55 litres (578mmx440mmx342mm). We've got a plan to design a series of box sizes now that compete with the Space Cases and Tuff boxes etc. but that actually seal properly, have no metal parts, are designed for the 4wd, camping and quad bike market primarily, but also the marine industry etc. We also want to price these realistically and think we can do this.

Its been a steep learning curve for sure and we have had some fantastic support from the likes of Brad McCarthy from MaxTrax and Michael McMillan from Australian Expedition Vehicles amongst others. Yes, it does have tapered sides and an outside lip but this is necessary for Injection Moulding to work properly. Tapering the sides was a big decision to make, but a vertical sided box with the lip on the outside would also 'waste' that space in between boxes. It's all a compromise. Tapering brought significant cost savings too. Mostly in freight because the boxes will 'nest' when stacked in towers on a pallet or when empty and stacked in the side of the shed at home. We did however keep the taper absolutely minimised and put a step in it for strength and to keep the sides as vertical as possible but still smooth for easy wiping out.

The lids come off and will also stack nicely on top of each other. The box is also lockable with three different size padlocks in two places.

PastedGraphic-16 by Ben Kincade,

PastedGraphic-15 by Ben Kincade,

PastedGraphic-18 by Ben Kincade,

The grip area on the ends of the box has been loaded with ribs to prevent fingers jamming and also to add strength to the lip.

You can also see the tie-down points on each corner. These are for turn-buckles or ropes. They are 12mm wide, reinforced and rounded off so ropes won't wear on square edges. Using these points means you can access the box contents without having to undo ratchet straps, another reason for the lip on the outside.

The lid profile also retains ratchet straps in place in the grooves, as well as facilitates stacking of other boxes so they won't move around.

If anyone has any further suggestions I am all ears. We are getting really keen to bust out a prototype and test it all.
    I'd love to see a box made into a fishing box. It should last forever. Saw the lift out tray and immediately thought of a fishing box.

In WA it's law to wear life jackets in some areas whilst rock fishing and I believe voluntary to tie off to tie down points, which I do.
    One of your boxes is dedicated to a life jacket, rated rope, and other stuff.

If you can design a fishing box, I'd buy one, for sure.

I love the 8 that I purchased during your initial order. Bargin!

Well done, keep up the fantastic work, and "Thank you"
    Last edited by DX grunt; 19th June 2020 at 07:46 AM.
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (22nd June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,215 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Bloody useless things, tucker is always safe & well but they do need ankle cushions designed in atop for us softy’s out there :-)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (22nd June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,835 Times in 2,012 Posts
    Mentioned
    23 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Bloody useless things, tucker is always safe & well but they do need ankle cushions designed in atop for us softy’s out there :-)

@MB Stop walking around in bare feet. You need softer heals, so don't forget to moisturise. lol
    Winner of 'Best 4 x 4 ' at the 2017 Albany Agricultural Society Inc - Town n Country Ute Muster.

Ex Telstra - 2005, 4.2 TDi ute -with pod and more fruit than a grocery shop.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to DX grunt For This Useful Post:

MB (19th June 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We are thinking about another size now too. Have had a fair few calls requesting both larger and smaller versions. Trays that fit inside was another one.

@DX grunt - there are some lure boxes that fit nicely in the boxes standing up on their sides. Can't remember now who was doing that with them, but they managed to fit about five or six across.
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

DX grunt (9th July 2020), MB (22nd June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,215 Times in 4,942 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great to hear they’re progressing well Ben Mate, we all absolutely love our first editions for sure, thanking you!
    As mentioned way back, used to buy 900mm long space case thingymebobs and now find your standard as is current size 600mm ish with its near vertical walls and flat floor and raised lid inner fit tucker especially better than others out there over 50% larger and most awkwardly heavy to carry.
    If there were to be any available future models in the works I’d personally be keen on the exact same size footprint with maybe a half size height.
    Theory I guess from current usage would be that heavy canned type tucker items could be halved in carry weight over two Expedition Boxes that stacked equal the same neighbouring original height boxes beside if that makes sense?
    Slimline versions I’m thinking could also sell well for atop of roof racks and under false cargo floors or the like, hopefully could be achieved from the same mold temporarily blanked on runs somehow maybe?

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Cremulator (24th June 2020), FNQGU (23rd June 2020), PeeBee (22nd June 2020), Plasnart (23rd June 2020), Rossco (23rd June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,370 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Great to hear they’re progressing well Ben Mate, we all absolutely love our first editions for sure, thanking you!
    As mentioned way back, used to buy 900mm long space case thingymebobs and now find your standard as is current size 600mm ish with its near vertical walls and flat floor and raised lid inner fit tucker especially better than others out there over 50% larger and most awkwardly heavy to carry.
    If there were to be any available future models in the works I’d personally be keen on the exact same size footprint with maybe a half size height.
    Theory I guess from current usage would be that heavy canned type tucker items could be halved in carry weight over two Expedition Boxes that stacked equal the same neighbouring original height boxes beside if that makes sense?
    Slimline versions I’m thinking could also sell well for atop of roof racks and under false cargo floors or the like, hopefully could be achieved from the same mold temporarily blanked on runs somehow maybe?

Yes I'd be keen on a slimline version too. I have approx 300mm space between the top of my drawers and the top of the rear door opening. I carry plastic containers of utensils, cooking equipment etc when camping on top of the drawers. The lids are flimsy, cracked and broken but I still use them. Your original version was too tall for the space I've got so I couldn't go through with a purchase. But I'd be up for a couple of max 300mm top-to-bottom versions.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

FNQGU (23rd June 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Cheers guys. Playing with designs so that a slim line would still lock onto the lids of the larger boxes in the same way they do now. Same lid features and tie down points and same flat smooth interior. It will probably come in around 32 litres instead of 55 litres.

Still thinking through it.

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

Clunk (25th June 2020), MB (23rd June 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    24 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    Cheers guys. Playing with designs so that a slim line would still lock onto the lids of the larger boxes in the same way they do now. Same lid features and tie down points and same flat smooth interior. It will probably come in around 32 litres instead of 55 litres.

Still thinking through it.
    I like @MB's suggestion, a slimline height option would be great. Something that fits into the existing 55L when empty but uses the same lid would be very useful.
    134_Box_Height_Options.jpg

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Cremulator For This Useful Post:

Clunk (25th June 2020), FNQGU (24th June 2020), MB (24th June 2020)

Page 44 of 51 FirstFirst ... 344243444546 ... LastLast