Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Canning Stock Route 2020

Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,370 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    A search for VKS737 came up with 16 threads. Might find some more info in these?

Edit: haha 10G just saw you've just done this.

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

10G (4th March 2020), Cuppa (4th March 2020)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,313 Times in 753 Posts
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    A search for VKS737 came up with 16 threads. Might find some more info in these?

Edit: haha 10G just saw you've just done this.
    Yep, thanks mate.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    If you do please let us know how it works. I inquired about it some time back but was put off by what I thought an odd response - basically "pay your money to join up & then we'll explain how it works". I wanted to know what I'd be paying for.
    You are paying $100 for registration with VKS who will provide a single P.O.C. # manned 24/7 who will either patch you thru to a local service or manage your problem same as if called them on a HF.

Just like HF where you need to buy your own kit, you still need to buy/have a Satphone (not sure if they will accept rentals or not) and organise your own provider IE Thuraya/Inmarsat/Globalstar etc.

From that point onwards the VKS service works same for HF as Sat... downside is no-one close by will be listening out and hear the transmissions and be able to assist and there are no "social" channels off sked... upside is that Sat gear is a waaay less bulky, doesn't need a huge install and you take it with you when away from the truck
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

10G (6th March 2020), Cuppa (4th March 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 6,947 Times in 3,370 Posts
    Mentioned
    109 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post
    You are paying $100 for registration with VKS who will provide a single P.O.C. # manned 24/7 who will either patch you thru to a local service or manage your problem same as if called them on a HF.

Just like HF where you need to buy your own kit, you still need to buy/have a Satphone (not sure if they will accept rentals or not) and organise your own provider IE Thuraya/Inmarsat/Globalstar etc.

From that point onwards the VKS service works same for HF as Sat... downside is no-one close by will be listening out and hear the transmissions and be able to assist and there are no "social" channels off sked... upside is that Sat gear is a waaay less bulky, doesn't need a huge install and you take it with you when away from the truck
    Sort of off topic but still sat phone related, saw a tv show a few years ago, tv crew on site with WA cops. This particular incident saw a cop out Eucla way at the scene of a crash trying to get a call through on his sat phone, but couldn't get a signal and getting very frustrated. Antenna was pointing at 45 degrees down towards the ground. Making sure your stick is up not down is critical. Would have thought emergency services were educated about this, but for us occasional hirers or users, this could be an understandible newby mistake. Make sure she's sticking up to the heavens like the manual says!

What is the charge? Eating a meal? A succulent Chinese meal??

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Plasnart For This Useful Post:

10G (6th March 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by the evil twin View Post

What's a POC ET?

I have a sat phone, am used to using it.

I ended up getting the sat phone numbers for the RFDS (different numbers for a sat phone and different numbers per state) and if a medical emergency occurs I'll ring them. If a mechanical emergency occurs, I'll ring whoever. If I get bogged I'll unbog myself, sit it out or wait. Otherwise I think I'll just ring family members to keep them up to date.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,653 Times in 591 Posts
    Mentioned
    21 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Plasnart View Post
    Would have thought emergency services were educated about this, but for us occasional hirers or users, this could be an understandible newby mistake.
    Plas, from what I've seen over the last 25 years, the days of assuming the cops in the Outback know these things has long since passed. There are certainly still a good number around who do know what they are doing but there are so many of that more practical era who have just left the job or are now behind desks. Many are just sick of the 'shit' and many just move on far more frequently than they did. Remote posts are now often seen as a quick way to get up the ladder by the younger generation and the various Police Managers have to offer remote posts with a promotion just to get anyone to go there.

In fact, it is probably fair to say that that whole era of people who knew how to tie a truckies hitch or other now 'old school' skills, is fast disappearing across the board.

A bit generalistic, but I reckon a lot of the older school cops would agree with me. @10G - Sorry to hijack the post topic...
    Between Patrols ATM. Had a beaut GU with 6.5 Chev TD. Next is a GU ute with a 4.5 litre Cummins conversion and a camper on the back.

11. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to FNQGU For This Useful Post:

10G (6th March 2020), Plasnart (5th March 2020)

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by FNQGU View Post
    Plas, from what I've seen over the last 25 years, the days of assuming the cops in the Outback know these things has long since passed. There are certainly still a good number around who do know what they are doing but there are so many of that more practical era who have just left the job or are now behind desks. Many are just sick of the 'shit' and many just move on far more frequently than they did. Remote posts are now often seen as a quick way to get up the ladder by the younger generation and the various Police Managers have to offer remote posts with a promotion just to get anyone to go there.

In fact, it is probably fair to say that that whole era of people who knew how to tie a truckies hitch or other now 'old school' skills, is fast disappearing across the board.

A bit generalistic, but I reckon a lot of the older school cops would agree with me. @10G - Sorry to hijack the post topic...
    That's OK. I agree.

You have to rely on yourself, if you believe others will understand and take initiative you can end up in trouble, if something isn't specifically requested, you can't rely on it to eventuate.

Should the worst event occur, I activate the PLB, sit back and wait.

Patrol Freak
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    30 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Anyway, date is pretty much settled on. The trip'll be around early July and into late August.

Current shopping list includes, tyres, belt tensioner, front axle rebuild, maybe shocks, shovel ... can't think of much else ATM.

Still gotta plan food. We've always taken frozen, cryo packed stuff but this trip may see us 3 weeks in the bush. May look into dry food??

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post
    What's a POC ET?
    P.O.C. is the T.L.A. for Point of Contact
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

10G (5th March 2020)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by 10G View Post

Still gotta plan food. We've always taken frozen, cryo packed stuff but this trip may see us 3 weeks in the bush. May look into dry food??
    My two cents is don't take frozen stuff.

I don't remote travel/camp much these days but IMHO the best bet is cryovac and refridgerate (no need to freeze cryovac meat etc).
    We also used to take a selection of the precooked meals like these https://www.snowys.com.au/camping-food

The advantage of them is that if doing longer travel legs at afternoon smoko we would boil extra water, put the hot water in a thermal cooker with the meals and when we pulled up Dinner was piping hot ready to eat so we could chillax.

If we were camped or stopping early then we would do a cryovac cookup.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

10G (5th March 2020)

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast