Thread: To chip or not to chip...

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cuppa View Post
    @mudski

That's true Mark, but the OP is planning long term travel, & will be in a position to take his time.
    Time will not be a concern, fortunate in that.
    I guess it is my memory of being impatient behind a slow towing vehicle in my past and wanting to avoid being that person
    We have done a couple of short excursions and haven't encountered any real issues apart from dropping to 85 / 90 on some hills.
    I remember from your blog the statement that it took some time for you to stop thinking you had to 'get' to the next stop. Maybe I just need a mindset change.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bidja View Post
    @Mc4by

For your consideration. My eng CRD, I have done progressive eng mods over time - NADS, cooler, intake induction, remaps, high flow turbo (run max B 26psi (rear wheels 136kW/512N-m) have ended up with a good result but fair few $$ spent to get there and lessons learnt. ECO from home (@600m) up to the snowy mtns (1300m), total 450kms: stock 14.5l/100kms and now easy 12 l/100kms - veh 3.5T

Chip / Remap / or leave as is, up to you. What you have done to date is good.

Irrespective of what you do longer term, IMO, these ZD30 engines do need to breath well, suggest you look at doing an upgrade to your air intake (induction) first and this may satisfy your need. As stock, the induction is too restrictive and would be even more so if you go with Chip or remap and run at higher boost. This alone will provide improved performance pwr/torque/EGTs. Too much restriction before turbo causes a vacuum and the turbo works harder to overcome this. Solution depends on what you are prepared to spend and it helps if you able to do the work. Possible Option: Use current snorkel with an upgraded airbox and 3" pipe from airbox to turbo with 2.5" flange elbow to turbo compressor housing(easy bolt on).
    This option sounds easy, relatively cheap and diy so that could be the path I choose.
    After that I can see if I really need to do more.
    As I lay there looking up, taking in the spectacular view that was the night sky and the multitude of stars I asked myself, where did my tent go?

Thanks
    Thanked 7,403 Times in 2,995 Posts
    Mentioned
    173 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mc4by View Post
    I guess it is my memory of being impatient behind a slow towing vehicle in my past and wanting to avoid being that person
    It has been uncommon for us to have held others up. Traffic density is generally low except when in towns/cities, & then we are perfectly able to manage the traffic speed. On the rare occasion on slow & steep twisty roads where no overtaking lanes existed we have simply pulled over as soon as safe to let someone behind us get past. Most give a hoot or a wave of thanks. In areas where roadtrains are common I usually call them on channel 40 & ask if they would like me to pull over. 99% of the time the response is along the lines "Nah mate, just carry on as you are, & I'll come around you on the straight in X kilometres. I'll let you know when". When they are pulling past I just back off to help them pass quicker. Always get thanked & often end up having a bit of a conversation to boot. If you can manage 85/90 on hills I can't see a problem.

2006 4.2TDi ex-Telstra Remote area Camper. 425w roof mounted solar, 360Ah Aux batts, BCDC1240, Onboard hot & cold pressurised & filtered water, (25 litre hot water calorifier), ARB fridge, ARB freezer, Built in kitchen, heaps of easy access storage, 240v, 3” Genie exhaust + dynotune, 2” lift, 3900kg GVM upgrade, second glovebox, ROH Blaktrak steel wheels, Bridgestone D697's (now Toyo RT's), Redarc gauges/pillarpod, Hema HX-1, Icom 450 CB, dual rear view cameras, Onboard 30amp Victron mains charger, second glovebox, dual seat conversion, TPMS, Boss PX7 onboard air with 9 litre tank, 350w inverter, Steel bullbar, Harrop Eaton diff lock (front), Warn winch, Snorkel, Dual spares , 160 litre water tank, 180 litre fuel in two tanks (approx 1200km range) 2010 Tvan Tanami. (incl another 70 litre water tank) with matching wheels/tyres (& 3rd spare)
    A Nomadic Life (Blog)

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Cuppa For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (22nd March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    This option sounds easy, relatively cheap and diy so that could be the path I choose.
    After that I can see if I really need to do more.
    Improved induction is really what need to do first anyway and will compliment what you have now.

What cooler are you running and how are you controlling spool(eg: needle, VNT sol or max spool.)?
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Improved induction is really what need to do first anyway and will compliment what you have now.

What cooler are you running and how are you controlling spool(eg: needle, VNT sol or max spool.)?
    Standard cooler, airbox etc aside from the snorkel and 3 inch exhaust. Spool control via needle.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    @Mc4by

For your consideration. My eng CRD, I have done progressive eng mods over time - NADS, cooler, intake induction, remaps, high flow turbo (run max B 26psi (rear wheels 136kW/512N-m) have ended up with a good result but fair few $$ spent to get there and lessons learnt. ECO from home (@600m) up to the snowy mtns (1300m), total 450kms: stock 14.5l/100kms and now easy 12 l/100kms - veh 3.5T

Chip / Remap / or leave as is, up to you. What you have done to date is good.

Irrespective of what you do longer term, IMO, these ZD30 engines do need to breath well, suggest you look at doing an upgrade to your air intake (induction) first and this may satisfy your need. As stock, the induction is too restrictive and would be even more so if you go with Chip or remap and run at higher boost. This alone will provide improved performance pwr/torque/EGTs. Too much restriction before turbo causes a vacuum and the turbo works harder to overcome this. Solution depends on what you are prepared to spend and it helps if you able to do the work. Possible Option: Use current snorkel with an upgraded airbox and 3" pipe from airbox to turbo with 2.5" flange elbow to turbo compressor housing(easy bolt on).
    Is this the sort of thing you are talking about?

https://gcg.com.au/diesel-performanc...box-lid-detail

Thanks
    Thanked 6,640 Times in 3,287 Posts
    Mentioned
    44 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    FWIW my opinion is that it is almost pointless fooling with the induction on a factory turbo, larger turbo hell yeah, factory not so much.

You'll see much better improvement from more efficient inter-cooling to give you denser air (more oxygen) into the intake unless you crank the boost a fair bit higher than factory.
    Most people are reluctant to do so and the CRD seems to handle it more than the Di's but either way the factory turbo typically gets enough air thru the factory plumbing.
    Dolphins are so smart that within a few weeks of captivity, they can train people to stand on the very edge of the pool and throw them fish.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to the evil twin For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (22nd March 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,006 Times in 565 Posts
    Mentioned
    37 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Agree with @the evil twin of benifits of installing an upgraded IC.

IMO the stock air box is very restrictive / limited, resulting from the way that the inlet is perpendicular to the filter element and provides very little clearance to the filter cylindrical face. This design causes turbulence and poor flow.. Have a look at the crap that builds up at against filter face at this concentrated point (room for improvement).

I suggest looking at this 9" pod A/B takes a K&N pod filter(KNRE-0870). The airbox made by a boiler maker Ben Lipscombe(thru ZD warriors_ FB), draws very well. $340 (box only)+postage. Two lengths available 300mm(ZD) and 330mm(TD42). I fitted the TD42 box and had to mod to the radiator plastic shroud-15mm cut away(easy done), with body saw, to bring it closer to radiator. This provided 330mm long A/B provided 50-60mm clearance from inlet end face to base of pod filter. Need to buy K&N pod filter: KNRE-0870. Say $450 total.
    Ben can supply either 3 or 4" for inlet / outlet. Suggest 3" inlet then no need to mod hole in inner guard and 4" outlet and use 4 - 3" 90 deg silicon bend.

I connected box up to turbo with Fabwitz Industries 3" pipe(MAF sensor port / CC (PCV)return fitting and vac pick up fitting in pipe). You can make up your own similar to pic attached, using existing stock MAF port duct section.

Fabwitz Industries thru FB (not cheap but good quality). Fabwitz does air boxes as well and there are other available.

Read other forums (Google about and see what is being done). Prepared to provide more info mate.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Bidja; 22nd March 2019 at 03:52 PM.
    2008 GU WAG ST Manual CRD - To do the job

Thanks
    Thanked 9,963 Times in 7,394 Posts
    Mentioned
    113 Post(s)
    Tagged
    2 Thread(s)
    I have a 2002 GU III ZD30DI.
    I would like opinions on chipping or not chipping this motor.
    I will be towing a light weight camper trailer over a long distance but also over a long time.
    One workshop said yes, it will be great; another said, No, on that motor it will adjust fuel but not air and that will be bad.

Has / does anyone run this motor with a chip and what do you think?

As a base line I have full NADS, 3 inch exhaust and the truck runs well.
    Some hills cause me minor grief and that is what I want to eliminate.

TIA
    My 2004 3ltr full nads runs a DP chip, first I set it on 10 but it just blew black smoke.
    I have it on 5 now and is great I can keep up and sometimes beat the newer 4x4s.
    tows my camper to the Murray with no problems at all,, you have to remember its only a 3ltr in a big 4x4 so
    you wont be entering any grand prix soon, Agree with the up grade IC 30% bigger i even run the taller scoop
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by threedogs; 23rd March 2019 at 12:10 PM.
    04 ST 3lt auto, not enough Mods to keep me happy, but getting there

13. The Following User Says Thank You to threedogs For This Useful Post:

Mc4by (23rd March 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I shall banish myself to the archives to see what has gone before me with regards to upgraded turbo's, intercoolers and induction systems.
    I am not desperate to do this but if it is affordable and makes overall effect better I may dive into it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast