Thread: Hydraulic vs Solid Belt tensioners

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hydraulic vs Solid Belt tensioners

Hi all,

Just considering my options after killing another tensioner, considering going for a billet tensioner from patrolapart for my '09 CRD.

Does anyone have any experience going to a solid tensioner? Was it set and forget for you or did you end up messing around a bit too often?

Would love to hear peoples thoughts.

Cheers
    2009 GU

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Root cause question = what is causing the tensioners to fail? Crappy design, poor quality, over tension?

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Root cause question = what is causing the tensioners to fail? Crappy design, poor quality, over tension?
    Very common failure rate on these.
    The tensioner on the CRD ZD30's, gets dirt, water, grime inside easily and then just fails by grinding the bearing from inside out.
    In 2 years of owning my 2009, I've gone through 3 of them. 2 of them failed within a few weeks after a high country river crossing.
    2005 TD42TI

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Hodge For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (16th January 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodge View Post
    Very common failure rate on these.
    The tensioner on the CRD ZD30's, gets dirt, water, grime inside easily and then just fails by grinding the bearing from inside out.
    In 2 years of owning my 2009, I've gone through 3 of them. 2 of them failed within a few weeks after a high country river crossing.
    Funnily enough mine are also failing due to high country crossings. Have you gone to a solid tensioner?
    2009 GU

Thanks
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    What Hodge said, they are just poorly designed. I've always replaced with genuine units until now.
    2009 GU

Patrol God
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,097 Times in 3,139 Posts
    Mentioned
    174 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcflurry View Post
    Funnily enough mine are also failing due to high country crossings. Have you gone to a solid tensioner?
    No mate, I never ended up fitting anything other than the factory units.
    I also got rid of that car years ago so...

Ironically, after I got my 4.2 patrol. Very First high country trip , Howqua river ate both my tensioner & the air con bearing in one go... It never ends. Haha

Sent from my SM-N920I using Tapatalk
    2005 TD42TI

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I went through one within 12 months of buying my new Y61. Nissan replaced it and the belt, which got covered in oil, under warranty. I now always carry a complete spare unit, along with a new belt. A very frequent & common failure. Typical of Nissan. It's been happening for years, and instead of designing something better, they choose to ignore it.
    2014 Titanium Y61 with all the fruit ................

Thanks
    Thanked 1,387 Times in 294 Posts
    Mentioned
    10 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Had a few problems with these. First one lost all the lubricant & seized. Fell apart when I took it off the vehicle, replaced it with a factory one. This one has seized as well, from wear this time. Took it off & rotated the two halves 180 degrees. Worked fine for a while, but still gets stuck occasionally, causing a squeal in the fan belt from lack of tension.

Have read somewhere that if you over tension the mounting bolt to the actual assembly too much it can cause problems as the tensioner cannot move enough causing the internals to wear unevenly & eventually seizing. Have left this one on for now but carry a new one just in case.

Have looked at the solid ones & might go this way if the factory one still causes problems over time. At least these days you can by the tensioner as a separate unit instead of having to buy the whole assembly.
    "Yet, upon the whole, the space I traversed is unlikely to become the haunt of civilized man....." - Charles Sturt