Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Back in a GQ

@MudRunnerTD kindly guided me to Phil at the 4wdShed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by MB; 22nd September 2019 at 09:55 PM.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Reddave (22nd September 2019)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MB View Post
    Absolutely gotta love GQ flat center dash space, shit hot tops Dave mate
    If time permits, die grind a wider/higher fairlead space to allow a ‘Big-Mouth’ type fairlead to forgive a figure 8 emergency knot to pass through they say :-)

Thanks mate, I’m looking at welding in a big mouth fairlead to make it look really nice 👍
    Just another Blue over Silver GQ with another TD conversion

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Reddave For This Useful Post:

MB (22nd September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Depending on usage Dave mate, might be advisable to keep fairlead’s replaceablish if that’s such a half dwucken word?

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

Reddave (23rd September 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looking good mate. Nice work. With the grill switches, I run them on the passenger side as chances are it is the Navi operating them most of the time and saves them standing right in front of you and obstructing your view. You will find most comp cars run them on the left side too to be honest. They will work fine where they are though.

Can highly recommend adding an LED marker light either hanging under the winch motor or the back of the bar facing back to the winch drum makes seeing the winch at night bloody awesome. I wired it through the winch isolator so it is a double check when I want to make sure do have power to the winch.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Reddave (23rd September 2019), Rossco (24th September 2019)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Back up top to the good old shed queen now Dave mate! Hope this picture makes sense?

Typical bloke style me when installed the oldish UK-Delta +76 too, she’ll be a rats twisted nest soon MB enough:-)

Mine did not come with this little clip. It IS REQUIRED! It make something that does this job. If you don't have it the line with spin uncontrollable and self destruct first time. 8 fashioned up something and used zip ties to hold it in position. Doesn't need much but it needs something
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Also note, when using your air freespool . You need the navi to give the rope a tug after you re-engage the rope to lock it back in before you press line in.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Expert
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the advice, might see how I go with the switches before moving them.
    Just another Blue over Silver GQ with another TD conversion

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Looking good mate. Nice work. With the grill switches, I run them on the passenger side as chances are it is the Navi operating them most of the time and saves them standing right in front of you and obstructing your view. You will find most comp cars run them on the left side too to be honest. They will work fine where they are though.

Can highly recommend adding an LED marker light either hanging under the winch motor or the back of the bar facing back to the winch drum makes seeing the winch at night bloody awesome. I wired it through the winch isolator so it is a double check when I want to make sure do have power to the winch.
    Hey Darren, I have been thinking about these switches and their location for a couple of days and what troubles me is the location is within what is called the 'line of fire'. The recoil direction is going to head straight back to the anchor point, so understanding the drivers field of view issue, but moving them to the passenger side still retains the hazard. For this reason, I have a cable pendent control with 6m of lead. I know its not as self contained or convenient, but it sure removes the winch operator from the immediate recoil zone, regardless of whether a winch blanket is in use or not. I further understand its impossible to monitor the cable or rope wrap from 6 m away, behind a bar, and this does require frequent 'stop and check actions'. Just a comment, and appreciate they may be in use in comp trucks, but does not mean the risk is reduced or removed. For me, I would not have the switches mounted where they are so close to the winch. Comments welcome of course.

Thanks
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it’s more for just ease of spool housekeeping Phil mate. All the heavy work is usually done through in cab switches.

17. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MB For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (24th September 2019), Rossco (24th September 2019)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I believe it’s more for just ease of spool housekeeping Phil mate. All the heavy work is usually done through in cab switches.

OK, gotcha, that puts my mind at ease. The description suggests the drivers view is obstructed during winching, which is why the controls are on the passenger side.

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 41213141516 ... LastLast