Thread: Tools you have bought/want to buy feedback thread

Legendary
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,674 Times in 2,651 Posts
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thes coil spring compressors arrived today, replacements to the two i destroyed on the 300kg rear coils. They look well made and should be stiffer than the originals - again, probably won't use them again as i am totally over coil spring replacement right now.
    spring compressor.JPG

2. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MB (7th January 2021)

3. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 13,452 Times in 6,588 Posts
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by PeeBee View Post
    Thes coil spring compressors arrived today, replacements to the two i destroyed on the 300kg rear coils. They look well made and should be stiffer than the originals - again, probably won't use them again as i am totally over coil spring replacement right now.
    spring compressor.JPG
    Bustards of things. Why do you need these Phil? I xan swap out 5" springs without them? Not sure why you need them mate?
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    Bustards of things. Why do you need these Phil? I xan swap out 5" springs without them? Not sure why you need them mate?
    Agreed. I have never needed compressors to remove and refit springs. Whether they were 5" springs or 2" heavy duty springs.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th January 2021)

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It simply makes changing the springs easier if they are shorter to begin with, especially when working off the garage floor. I apply the spring clamp to the compressed spring when the weight is on it, nip it up, then remove the wheel, jack up the chassis and lower the axle, spring pops out with minimal effort, then reverse the operation. I have limited headroom also with a garage door that covers half the car body and i have perhaps 40mm clearance between roofrack and garage door. Its not about trying to compress the spring, just maintain a shortened length.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (7th January 2021)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    It simply makes changing the springs easier if they are shorter to begin with, especially when working off the garage floor. I apply the spring clamp to the compressed spring when the weight is on it, nip it up, then remove the wheel, jack up the chassis and lower the axle, spring pops out with minimal effort, then reverse the operation. I have limited headroom also with a garage door that covers half the car body and i have perhaps 40mm clearance between roofrack and garage door. Its not about trying to compress the spring, just maintain a shortened length.
    Jack the chassis up, remove the wheels, drop the axle on the deck mate. You should have plenty of room.

I get fitting them while the weight is on, if you just needed to remove for maintenance and refit then all good, but using them to compress the next spring is my concern. They work, but i don't think they are needed mate
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!

The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Why were they invented then Legends?
    Honestly learning here too!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Legendary
    Thanks
    Mentioned
    190 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Darren, there was no next spring, it was the same spring going straight back in. I don't have the head room to jack the vehicle any higher. i accept what you are saying, but it just does not relate to the circumstances I was working with. I made some basic errors when doing this task, as follows - The biggest issue I have with the spring compressor is the stored energy that is magnifying as the coil is compressed, and that energy is not really apparent as the coil compresses until you start to see the threaded bar bending. Its is a very dangerous bit of kit for sure, especially if used without regard to the danger, but it can serve a purpose.
    ERROR 1 -For the record I did remove the coil compressor once the coil was out of the car simply to re-align the clamps to 180 deg.for a better more level compression across the coil. This is where I came unstuck as I obviously over tightened the coil, despite measuring it in its compressed state.
    ERROR 2 - When I went to release the coil, I also should have ensured the full weight of the vehicle was on it, like when it was removed - as the coil compressor was taking more load than original as it was still under single compression from the coil compressor, not the vehicle.

Your points are valid, just not workable for me at that time. If i was doing it without the overhead limits i could have easily jacked the vehicle higher and dropped the axle down a bit further - it was sitting on a trolley jack fully down anyway.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to PeeBee For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (8th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,663 Times in 3,158 Posts
    Mentioned
    110 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    @MB They are used a lot when changing shocks in road cars due to them being coilover shock absorbers. You need to compress the spring before undoing the top cap. Remove shock, fit new shock with compressed spring and reinstall top cap. Then release spring compressors. Nearly all road cars that are around use this system..

14. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nissannewby For This Useful Post:

MB (7th January 2021), MudRunnerTD (8th January 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,242 Times in 4,952 Posts
    Mentioned
    468 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Understand Now, Cheers Mat!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Mentioned
    324 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Darren, there was no next spring, it was the same spring going straight back in. I don't have the head room to jack the vehicle any higher. i accept what you are saying, but it just does not relate to the circumstances I was working with. I made some basic errors when doing this task, as follows - The biggest issue I have with the spring compressor is the stored energy that is magnifying as the coil is compressed, and that energy is not really apparent as the coil compresses until you start to see the threaded bar bending. Its is a very dangerous bit of kit for sure, especially if used without regard to the danger, but it can serve a purpose.
    ERROR 1 -For the record I did remove the coil compressor once the coil was out of the car simply to re-align the clamps to 180 deg.for a better more level compression across the coil. This is where I came unstuck as I obviously over tightened the coil, despite measuring it in its compressed state.
    ERROR 2 - When I went to release the coil, I also should have ensured the full weight of the vehicle was on it, like when it was removed - as the coil compressor was taking more load than original as it was still under single compression from the coil compressor, not the vehicle.

Your points are valid, just not workable for me at that time. If i was doing it without the overhead limits i could have easily jacked the vehicle higher and dropped the axle down a bit further - it was sitting on a trolley jack fully down anyway.
    Cheers Phil,

Yeah your scenario is basically what I said in the second half of.my post. If yoy are removing springs for maintenance and then refit all good. But using them to remove then fit New springs can get scary. All good mate, you are a long way from being a goose mate, you are all over it.

17. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

PeeBee (8th January 2021)

Page 67 of 104 FirstFirst ... 1757656667686977 ... LastLast