Thread: Warn high mount

Thanks
    Thanked 4,713 Times in 2,489 Posts
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Warn high mount

Hi guys looking at a high mount, what do I need to check, it looks good and the video shows it working ok, it’s priced well at 1100F2AC9C0F-BF72-47E1-B480-4D699283A118.jpeg0C4BCAE1-02C6-4FC3-BED3-A68D66D02AA2.jpegB48B8F84-BDF3-4F7C-AE91-DE70E8E7FA9A.jpeg
    2003 gu3 td42tdi sold 😞 bloody gvm towing crap. Bt50 3500kg gvm.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement

Thanks
    Thanked 6,917 Times in 2,750 Posts
    Mentioned
    192 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ooh nice. Generally a second hand high mount will be a blank canvas for rebuild and mods and can depend on how far you want to go. For a start they come with 4.6 HP motor which will struggle on a Patrol so 6HP warn, Iskra or Roadrunner motor good upgrade. Also good to strip inspect clean and add oil fill & drain holes and fresh oil, dyneema rope and get rid of the old school solenoid and go allbright or other solid state. . From there depends on how far you want to go but that would get a nice reliable HM for starters then see how you go. .

Sent from my SM-G781B using Tapatalk

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rossco For This Useful Post:

MudRunnerTD (15th February 2022), mudski (15th February 2022), Stropp (15th February 2022)

The master farter
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,286 Times in 6,437 Posts
    Mentioned
    460 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Looks pretty good mate. Pretty much what Rossco has said. Will need motor and change out the solenoid for an Albright one. Drain and filler ports aswell.

What I did with mine was the the drain ports, Iskra motor, upgraded the brake shaft to a GigglePin setup, new brake pads, braced the housing, the drum centre was made smaller in diameter to fit more and larger rope, free spool delete mod and the end cover was machined out and converted to take and actual bearing.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    The early Himounts actually came out with a 2.0hp motor before they upgraded to a 4.5hp. both work but not really for a GU. Regardless of whet it has they are junk and swapped out as a given.

I would ask him to take the Top off and show you the main gears mate. The one that AB got that i stripped and built had been on a Tow truck or tow trailer and th gears were worn very badly like when the rear sprocket of a motorbike is down to nothing. the inner main gears where the same. These gt expensive quickly so make sure they are ok. If you did have to replace them then looking at Hellfire gears in a +25 ratio would be nice.

It looks like it has been sprayed with Tyre Shine to make it look pretty for photos. LoL. Note the $AU is in the Toilet, Parts are not cheap like they used to be and you will throw at least $1000 at that winch. I am happy to help you spend double that mate.. If you whisper sweet nothings i will help you spend Triple that!.... Just Say'n
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 15th February 2022 at 04:21 PM.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

7. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Avo (16th February 2022), Rossco (17th February 2022), Stropp (15th February 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mm I may be better just buying a 9500 warn low mount for what I need ��*♂️

Quote Originally Posted by MudRunnerTD View Post
    The early Himounts actually came out with a 2.0hp motor before they upgraded to a 4.5hp. both work but not really for a GU. Regardless of whet it has they are junk and swapped out as a given.

I would ask him to take the Top off and show you the main gears mate. The one that AB got that i stripped and built had been on a Tow truck or tow trailer and th gears were worn very badly like when the rear sprocket of a motorbike is down to nothing. the inner main gears where the same. These gt expensive quickly so make sure they are ok. If you did have to replace them then looking at Hellfire gears in a +25 ratio would be nice.

It looks like it has been sprayed with Tyre Shine to make it look pretty for photos. LoL. Note the $AU is in the Toilet, Parts are not cheap like they used to be and you will throw at least $1000 at that winch. I am happy to help you spend double that mate.. If you whisper sweet nothings i will help you spend Triple that!.... Just Say'n
    Last edited by MudRunnerTD; 16th February 2022 at 07:34 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 13,491 Times in 6,596 Posts
    Mentioned
    330 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Stropp View Post
    Mm I may be better just buying a 9500 warn low mount for what I need ��*♂️
    unless you are Dead Set wanting the HiMount then a Lowmount will get it done fine. I have fitted an XP13 Runva lowmount to #The62. Slow and steady will pull a 4T car out of a Bog no worries single line pull for days. i bought it on a 20% sale day and it was about $1100 delivered.
    Its a Nissan! =====> Its a Keeper!! ....... Got a TD42 in it BONUS!! ....... I'm a lucky bugger! I've got 2 of em!
    Check out my Toy --> MudRunnerTD's GQ From the Ground Up

Quote Originally Posted by Rogue Dung Beetle View Post
    Wish it was Nissan though, Toyotas just can't keep up with the Pootrol pace.
    The only good thing about an 80 series is..... the front end?? Wrong!!, the Engine?? Wrong!! the Full Time 4WD system?? Wrong!! Its the NissanPatrol.com.au stubby holder fitted over the transfer lever.
    WARNING: Towballs used for recoveries can, and do kill people and damage property.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MudRunnerTD For This Useful Post:

Stropp (16th February 2022)

Thanks
    Mentioned
    31 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes thx Darren I think that’s what I’ll get

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Stropp For This Useful Post:

MB (17th February 2022), MudRunnerTD (16th February 2022), Rossco (17th February 2022)